Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:57 AM   #1

Hi

Ever since I have had the camera, no matter what shop I take them to for printinf on a 4x6 they always cut top and bottom or the sides, so I end up losing part of the photos.

The shops say it's the setting on the camera and when I speak to Nikon they say it's not the camera. so I don't know what to do.

On the back viewing screen you can see all the photo and then when you print you lose soem of it.

Is there a setting on the camera you can change it to? or like aframe that goes on the back screen so you can see when you take what will print out.

So many of my photos are getting ruined by this and if I can't get a solution to it then I will have to buy another camera.

Thanks for your help

Lucy
luciejt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Administrator

Your camera's sensor uses an Aspect Ratio (ratio of width to height) of 4:3, which will require cropping for a 4x6" print.

A 4x6" print has an aspect ratio of 3:2 (same ratio of width to height you have with 35mm film). This aspect ratio is common with dSLR models and works out just right for a 4x6" print (but, not for other sizes, which will require cropping).

Most non-dSLR models like your Coolpix S9 use a sensor with a 4:3 aspect ratio. So, if you don't want your photo printer deciding which parts get cut off, your best bet is to crop them yourself.

Many image editors have a way to easily crop the photos to the correct ratio of width to height for the desired print size.

Here's one program designed just for cropping:

http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

Google's free Picasa also has the ability ability to easily crop your images to the desired Aspect Ratio (you'll need to use 3:2 for a 4x6" print size).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 5:00 AM   #3

Ok thanks for that.

Is there a camera you recomend that will not do it?

Was looking into the sony cybashot?
luciejt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Administrator

All of the dSLR models from Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony have sensors that have a 3:2 Aspect Ratio.

Most non-dSLR models have a sensor with a 4:3 aspect ratio. But, you will sometimes see a setting that allows the camera to give you a pre-cropped 3:2 aspect ratio image at a lower resolution. We're starting to see more cameras with a 16:9 option, too.

For example, if you look at this page for the Sony W300 record options, you'll see a 3:2 option under the Image Size choices:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_..._w300_pg3.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote