Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 16, 2003, 4:42 PM   #1
bad

Default Nikon speedlight

Is Nikon SB-22s or SB-30 speedlight compatible with C5700?

Does AF illuminator lamp on these speedlights work well with C5700 or it is just reserved for Nikon dSLR-s??

Which one can you recommend with AF lamp (third party that works) that is compatible with C5700??

Thanx all !!
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:42 PM   #2

Default Re: Nikon speedlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
Is Nikon SB-22s or SB-30 speedlight compatible with C5700?
Yes. In fact, any newer Nikon TTL-compatible flash is compatible with the 5700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
Does AF illuminator lamp on these speedlights work well with C5700 or it is just reserved for Nikon dSLR-s??
No, the AF illumination lamp does not work with any Coolpix camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
Which one can you recommend with AF lamp (third party that works) that is compatible with C5700??
None of of Coolpix cameras has the capability to activate the AF illumination lamp. Therefore, no AF illumination lamp on any flash can be used with the 5700. To the best of my knowledge, only the Coolpix SQ has an AF illumination lamp.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 3:13 AM   #3
bad

Can't I manualy turn on AF ill. lamp on speedlight, then focus, and then turn off ill. lamp??
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 3:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
Can't I manualy turn on AF ill. lamp on speedlight, then focus, and then turn off ill. lamp??
No, because the AF illumination lamp is controlled by the signal sent out to the flash via a hotshoe contact. You may rewire the flash to do it; but, in doing so, you void the warranty of your flash. If you have a SB-80DX, you may use the modeling light.

CK
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:12 AM   #5
NHL

IMO the modeling light is only useful if a camera support it via a one-touch preview or stop-down button, unfortunately the 5700 unlike other digital cameras in its class, does not support this feature through the camera...

To enable the modeling light would involve pushing a separate button on the rear of the flash which only last under 3s, also pulsing rapidly and designed for shadow control more than for AF. The use of a low power laser pointer/marker like other posters have suggested, although inconvenient, is probably your best bet since you don't have an SB-80DX and probably cheaper too.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 7:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
To enable the modeling light would involve pushing a separate button on the rear of the flash which only last under 3s, also pulsing rapidly and designed for shadow control more than for AF.
Even though this is a two-hand operation, it is still better than nothing if the SB80DX is available and is on a bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
The use of a low power laser pointer/marker like other posters have suggested, although inconvenient, is probably your best bet since you don't have an SB-80DX and probably cheaper too.
The use of a low power laser pointer has been around for many years, perhaps even since the 950 showed its AF problem in low contrast situation. But, one still needs to use two hands. In fact, some people even built a bracket for it. Unfortunately, if the power of the laser pointer is too low, AF may still fail. If the intensity is too high, the exposure meter will have an incorrect reading. In my experience, a low power flash light is better than a low power laser because the light cone can cover a larger area with which better contrast can be obtained. Anyway, the original post was about Speedlight rather than laser pointers and flash lights. Maye we have branched out to a new issue.

CK
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shene
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
No, because the AF illumination lamp is controlled by the signal sent out to the flash via a hotshoe contact.
That is not correct. The AF lamp on the Nikon SB-50DX can be turned on and off manually using a button combination on the rear control panel, <Mode><->

Info found in the SB-50DX manual (pg 36) and on the legend behind the large white diffuser on the front of the flash.

But it is true that the 5700 will not take advantage of the AF ill. even if turned on manually. I have tried it.
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 12:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserjock
That is not correct. The AF lamp on the Nikon SB-50DX can be turned on and off manually using a button combination on the rear control panel, <Mode><->
I am not sure which feature you are referring to. The <Mode><-> button combination activates/de-activates the AF Illumination lamp so that they can/cannot be used with a camera. They do not turn on/off the lamp. For example, some cameras (e.g., N80 and D100) have built-on AF Illuminator. If <Mode><-> is used to deactivate the AF Illumination lamp so that "NO AF-ILL" is shown in the lower left corner of the LCD panel of the SB50DX, the camera (e.g., N80 or D100) will use its own AF Illuminator. On the other hand, if <Mode><-> is pressed again to enable SB50DX's AF Illumination lamp so that "NO AF ILL" is not shown on the LCD panel, the AF Illumination lamp of the SB50DX will be used which projects a number of vertical grid to aid focusing. You cannot force the AF Illumination lamp to project the grid by yourself except for one occasion. If you turn on the camera first and then turn on the SB50DX, the SB50DX will project the grid for a very brief of time.

So, I believe you interpreted the manual slightly differently.

CK
Old Nov 3, 2003, 1:17 AM   #9

I had a chance to try out a 5700 with my SB-80DX and it did not fire, only under manual mode did it do so. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong, but that was the only way I could make the flash fire using the 5700.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 1:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marokero
I had a chance to try out a 5700 with my SB-80DX and it did not fire, only under manual mode did it do so. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong, but that was the only way I could make the flash fire using the 5700.
Did you raise the internal flash? One must raise the internal flash to use an external flash.

CK