Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:57 PM   #1

Worked perfect couple of days ago. Went to turn it on today. Nothing happened. Changed to another charged up battery. again when turned on, nothing. Wondering if maybe the last time I used it, when I set it down and walked away, it went into hibernate. So I never really turned it off, battery went dead and the internal clock battery went dead?

I don't have a 8.4 AC/DC power adapter to try.

Any thoughts?

And yes, the camera was refurbished by Nikon a year ago with a new CCD sensor under the recall.

Thanks
Sven123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:14 PM   #2

If you can get hold of a voltmeter, make sure that the battery(ies) you're trying are actually charged. If you can't do this, you might try buying a 2CR5 lithium battery. I think that unless the camera has developed a serious fault, it'll power up from a charged battery.

If it still doesn't respond with a good battery in it, try working the power switch back and forth. This might help scrape away corrosion on the electrical contact.

Check the condition of the battery contacts. If any of them look tarnished or corroded, try shining them up with a pencil eraser.

If it still doesn't work, there's an off-chance that something has gone wrong in the electrical pathway from the battery terminals. Only way to check it out would be to find an AC adapter and see whether that works. Depending on how you use the camera, you might be wasting your time with the AC adapter. Unless you use the camera in a studio situation where the limitations of an AC cord wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience, if it won't work on batteries, it's junk.

I don't know enough technical stuff to know whether a corrupt CF card could cause this. But it wouldn't hurt to try turning it on with no card installed.

If none of this makes any difference, unless you know someone in the camera repair biz, I don't think that it would be worth fixing. The repair cost would likely be a hefty down payment on a new, better performing camera.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 6:45 PM   #3

Batteries are fully charged. Found a good AC adapter, still will not power it up. Didn't matter if memory card was installed or not.

After a bunch of research on Nikon not starting up problems, have concluded that's it's common with many of Nikon's cameras. Appears many have developed faulty on/off switches.

I have contacted Nikon with the problem and was given a reference #, I should hear back from them within 24 hours.

We'll see what happens.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:39 PM   #4

The best of all possible outcomes certainly would be that Nikon would fix it for nothing! I don't see it -- unless the on/off switch issue relates to some documented manufacturing defect.

With all of the posts I've seen from people with hardware failure problems with this camera (mostly the sensor), I'm counting myself lucky every time I turn mine on and it works!

Granted, this is an older model, but Nikon is (and has been) one of the major photographic manufacturers in the world and this camera went for a premium price when it came out. I wonder how they let it out of the factory with so many issues.

I've seen people say that the CP 8700 was the camera that the 5700 was meant to be; so maybe they learned from their mistakes.

Please tell us what happens in your situation.

Grant
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:27 AM   #5

Rec'd a response.
Basically said no know issues with switch.
I can send it in for evaluation, they will reply with a repair estimate.
If I don't accept it the camera will be returned ata small cost to me.

I have heard fixes to Nikons for simple problems run up to $200 or so from searching the web. I really don't want to sink any money into this camera.

Not sure what to do. I could make an attempt to repair the switch myself.

Of all the Digital cameras I owned never had any problems with the Sony's.
Just wondering if I should invest in a new Sony, if it's going to cost $200 for a repair. I spotted a Cybershot DSC-H10 that seems to fit my bill.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:39 AM   #6

Found a complete service/parts manual on line, free download.
There are plenty more free camera manuals at this website .....

For anyone interested you can find it at

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/index.php?what=search2
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...ix%205700.html
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:28 PM   #7

Thanks for the links!

In your case it sounds like you've got nothing to lose trying to fix it yourself. If you were lucky enough to have the fault prove to be mechanical, it might just take a dab of electrical contact cleaner and working the switch back and forth.

Wishing you luck...

Grant
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:33 PM   #8

Get a Canon
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:58 AM   #9

This used to happen to me when I forgot and left the view button in the view mode and tried to turn the unit on. The lens will not pop out.
tejasmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 6:15 AM   #10

Took it apart, it was a bad switch that cannot be fixed had to be replaced.
I sold the camera, bought a Sony.