Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 17, 2010, 7:37 AM   #1041

Default Captured the crescent moon and Venus

Edited in Picasa for basic sharpening.

ISO64
Optical + Digital Zoom = 1123mm (35 mm equivalent)
Tripod is a must

Hope you like it.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 7:13 PM   #1042

Hey guys!

I've been looking through this thread in hopes that someone may be able to help me out. I currently live in Washington State where there are colder climates; I'll be moving to Florida soon however and I was wondering how the P90 works in warmer climates (as well as in the rain -- if possible)? I ask this because my current camera (it's a crappy digital) tends to get foggy like pictures; I don't like that and I intend on using my camera wherever possible.

The zoom on the P90 is impressive, but I don't think I will be using that all that much. I'll probably be doing up close and personal shots.

Besides the P90, I'm looking at the Canon Rebel XS. A friend recommended it to me and I like what I see so far, but it's a tad bit more expensive then the P90.

What would you say?
Zoebaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 10:37 AM   #1043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoebaggins View Post
Hey guys!

I've been looking through this thread in hopes that someone may be able to help me out. I currently live in Washington State where there are colder climates; I'll be moving to Florida soon however and I was wondering how the P90 works in warmer climates (as well as in the rain -- if possible)? I ask this because my current camera (it's a crappy digital) tends to get foggy like pictures; I don't like that and I intend on using my camera wherever possible.

The zoom on the P90 is impressive, but I don't think I will be using that all that much. I'll probably be doing up close and personal shots.

Besides the P90, I'm looking at the Canon Rebel XS. A friend recommended it to me and I like what I see so far, but it's a tad bit more expensive then the P90.

What would you say?
We have recently finished our Summer here in Australia where I used my camera throughout the warmer period at an average temperature of what you would know as between 80-100 degrees. All shots turned out great. The only drama I had was just after heavy rainfall one afternoon, when it was very hot and humid, the photos came out "foggy", but that was due to the weather just prior to the photo being taken. Basically all the rain that fell, evaporated over the next hour or so making it almost impossible to take a shot without fogging up the lense. Other then that afternoon, the camera dealt with the heat without any problems. Also, I have used the camera in rain, doing my my best to keep it dry but was unable to stop some water getting to it. I simply dried it when I could and it didnt seem to be effected by any water issues. Hope this helps.
backofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 2:02 PM   #1044

Hey all!

First I want to thank Jack for making this thread and solving my "which camera to buy" -problem. Also a big thanks to Sarah and all the others for every post there is.

I've had this camera for a week now and I don't regret buying it. Even though it is a older model already.

I've liked all the images everyone has attached, so here's few of my own,

I was eating under this tree and looked up, just beautiful.
Name:  lehdet.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  223.2 KB

Spotted this bird the first night I took my camera out.
Name:  bird.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  83.5 KB

I love skateboarding. I was out watching my cousins MaxBoom competition but all the skaters next to the cars stole my attention (24x zoom).
Name:  sk8.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  83.8 KB

Low light pic. As you can see, it was dark outside and only light came from kitchen's hood(?)lamp. My opinion, playing with the shutter speed is the way to go. No flash.
Name:  guitarhero.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  88.8 KB

Yes, I take criticism But for now Im off to take same pics.

Zoooooooooom away,
Mikke from Finland
gosari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 6:40 AM   #1045

Default Nikon P100 LEMONS not one but two of them

I have bought not one but TWO Nikon Coolpix P100 camera's in the last month and both are DEFECTIVE lemons.
The first one i bought it completely froze 7-8 times in two weeks. This happened while using the zoom in Macro mode. The image was completely blurred out and none of the functions would work at all...not even the ON/OFF button and the ONLY way i could get the camera to work again was to remove the battery pack and reinstall it..then it worked fine again until it happened again. It also gave me quite a few LENS CAP ERROR messages even though the lense cap was NOT on the camera at all...removal of the battery pack was the only way to turn it off.

I returned it to the seller in Stratford,Ontario for a refund.

I bought another P100 this past week and AGAIN identical problems except that this time i wasn't even in macro mode. I was just using the auto mode and while using the super zoom...completely froze and i had to remove the battery pack just to turn it off.
Then i got a lense cap error message and you guessed it...the lense cap was not on at all.

Both of these cameras were NEW not refurbished or gray market and came with the 2 year Canadian Nikon Warranty. Both were bought from ebay sellers in Stratford Ontario who have excellent feedback.
I'm fighting with the 2nd seller to get a refund and return this JUNK.

Very disappointed in Nikon and i will never buy another...

Michael
In Quebec,Canada
Mike6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:56 PM   #1046

I just wanted to add that I've had this camera almost a year now and absolutely LOVE it! I'm not a professional photographer but a shutterbug and do appreciate quality. I bought this camera after weeks and weeks of research (esp on this forum ) knowing full well what advantages and disadvantages it held. It is a bummer that night shots from far away pretty much suck, but other than that... this thing is awesome! All of my friends and family want one because they just don't want to fuss with a DSLR. That I think is the coolest thing about this camera. It takes great pix AND you have this AWESOME zoom. If you know enough about cameras, it's very easy to tweak and get great pix. And if you don't know much about digital photography.. you can learn on this forum and online. I have no regrets and LOVE this camera. AND I LOVE this forum! - Thanks everyone!

PS - And KUDOS to Jack55 for starting this thread! This must have broken a record or something... been going since March 2009

Last edited by vampirefish; Jun 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM.
vampirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:20 AM   #1047

Question....I have a Nikon p90. How do you change the metering?? It seems to skip over this option on every setting. I know I have changed it sometimes but can't remember how I did this. Also, what setting do you put the Flash on?? Thanks!!
mcjurys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:18 AM   #1048

Sounds like you have a problem with your camera. Metering works on all the settings of M A S P. Press Menu, scroll down to Metering, press the right arrow, and choose a selection.
backofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:44 PM   #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthehill View Post
Sounds like you have a problem with your camera. Metering works on all the settings of M A S P. Press Menu, scroll down to Metering, press the right arrow, and choose a selection.
Thanks. Looked in the manual and it said that if The metering will be changed to Matrix when any setting other than off is selected for Active D-Lighting. So I changed that setting and have it once again.
mcjurys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:06 AM   #1050

Default Need advice. Low light settings

Here is my situation. I need to take decent pictures in a nightclub of all places. I've had the P90 since early this year and love it! Anyway, I've only been using it as a point and shoot. (forgive me!!!) I'm not that versed with the terminology so I have always just played with the settings till I got the picture I wanted.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. What settings would you use? I have some examples but am short on time at the moment or Id post them, just to humiliate myself ;-)

Great thread you have going!
Thanks- Terese
unangan is offline   Reply With Quote