Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 8, 2009, 1:26 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnieb View Post
jack55 wrote:

so i guess this camera will never take pics like this....

Excellent photo.......One of the best I have seen of a candle!

Which was the camera used on that ocassion?
What were the setting?
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 1:28 PM   #162

I have been doing a lot of research for a new camera and/or camcorder for use on a trip to Alaska. A guide on a bear excursion that we have booked said that some people use each but recommends a 25x zoom. I am down to the Nikon P90, Canon SX1 IS, Canon SX10 IS, Panasonic DMC-FZ28 and Sony HX1. I expect to take more still photos than video, but have some interest in both. Can you answer a few questions?

1. I want to maintain photos & video on an iMac. Currently my old Panasonic DMC-LX1 uploads easily to an iMac. Are there any issues / problems on uploading the P90 images to an iMac?

2. Video vs burst mode - does the P90 record sound? Was the sound on your football video captured on the P90?

Have you tried all the cameras on my list? Preferences? I am off to Best Buy and Wolf Camera for a second review of most of these. Thanks
BruceNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 2:42 PM   #163

Hi Jack,
You didnt specify what do you mean by cropping and is it done by a photoshop like program or in the camera itself?
Cropped with PhotoShop. You can also do it with Windows Photo gallory. Just click on "fix" then use the crop icon.

How are your pics so sharp? Do you use a tripod regularly or are thay handheld? Because if they are hand held then the photo quality certainly depend upon the man behind the camera and not the cam itself?
I hand hold most of mine, but make sure I take deep breathes before shooting and tuck my elbows in or lean on something.

Where can I get a trail of full version for photoshop or any other software used in photo editing?
PhotoShop is $600. Just google "free photo editing programs" and you will find some decent ones there.

Please Jack dont skip out questions, they all are equally important.....
I don't get paid for any of this. This is done on my free time.

Nitish
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 2:50 PM   #164

I am down to the Nikon P90, Canon SX1 IS, Canon SX10 IS, Panasonic DMC-FZ28 and Sony HX1.

1. I want to maintain photos & video on an iMac. Currently my old Panasonic DMC-LX1 uploads easily to an iMac. Are there any issues / problems on uploading the P90 images to an iMac?
I don't have a iMac, so I don't know. I would think it should be OK

2. Video vs burst mode - does the P90 record sound? Was the sound on your football video captured on the P90?
I am legally deaf, so I don't really hear things like that. So, I don't know how well that works.

3. Have you tried all the cameras on my list? Preferences? I am off to Best Buy and Wolf Camera for a second review of most of these.
I tried all but the Sony HX1 as it wasn't out yet. My preference obviously is the Nikon as I bought that one. However, do like I did and spend a couple hours at the store trying out each one. Compare exact same shots of each one. All of those cameras you listed are good cameras... so it comes down to preference. For me, the tilting LCD & longer zoom was the deciding factor.

Thanks
Old May 9, 2009, 2:33 AM   #165

Here is another shot of Tacoma from my yard, only this time with the moon.

This was shot from my balcony of downtown Tacoma
You can't even see the yellow crane in this photo that you see in the next one!

Now I'm zooming in and I can even see the bedroom of my folks retirement home.
You can see that same crane in my moon shot!

(settings for Tacoma Moon shot)

This Nikon P90 Rocks!

Last edited by jack55; May 9, 2009 at 2:55 AM. Reason: Moon shot properties
Old May 9, 2009, 3:31 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Here is another shot of Tacoma from my yard, only this time with the moon.

This was shot from my balcony of downtown Tacoma
You can't even see the yellow crane in this photo that you see in the next one!

Now I'm zooming in and I can even see the bedroom of my folks retirement home.
You can see that same crane in my moon shot!

This Nikon P90 Rocks!

Here is just the moon zoomed all the way in and cropped a bit.

Last edited by jack55; May 9, 2009 at 3:33 AM.
Old May 9, 2009, 5:37 AM   #167

Thanks Jack,
Thanks for the reply....
And sorry Again if you got offended by that "Dont skip the questions" statement...extremely sorry.

Briliant phots of downtown tacoma...
DDo you really get to see that big moon there? GOt to be lucky coz here in India you can see only buildings no matter how far you zoon and getting that close of the moon seems just impossible!

I guess Windows Photo Gallery only works with Vista, so I m trying out for some free photoshop or other softwares out there....
Anyone having any link to such things please post...it would be most appriciated.

Nitish
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 10:35 AM   #168

Default Zoom

Hi Jack , is the zoom of your folks place using digital zoom or is it optical and then zoomed and cropped.
I just got a P90 at best Buy on sale. My old Coolpix 8700 is headed to ebay!
The 12.1 meg makes this camera rock too, Details are awesome and the really don't show up in the posted pic due to size limitation.

Bob
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 10:53 AM   #169

Thanks Jack,
Thanks for the reply....
And sorry Again if you got offended by that "Dont skip the questions" statement...extremely sorry.
You didn't offend me at all. I was just letting you know that I help people here on my own free time.

Briliant phots of downtown tacoma...
DDo you really get to see that big moon there? GOt to be lucky coz here in India you can see only buildings no matter how far you zoon and getting that close of the moon seems just impossible!
You have to catch the moon close to horizon and zoom in to make it bigger like that. If you do it when it is above, it is smaller. I had also cropped in some too, sorta like if you use the digital on the zoom. Only this way the detail is better.

I guess Windows Photo Gallery only works with Vista, so I m trying out for some free photoshop or other softwares out there....
Anyone having any link to such things please post...it would be most appreciated.
Try the free Google Picasa.

Nitish

Bob, I think I answered your question above.
Old May 9, 2009, 6:04 PM   #170

Thanks Jack.

I also just purchased a P90 at a local Best Buy. A Best Buy and Wolf Camera were out of stock, Wolf had a demo model, but a second Best Buy had the P90 in stock and honored the internet sale price.

Now I have 2+ weeks to learn how to use the P90 before leaving for Alaska.

Thanks again.

Bruce
BruceNC is offline   Reply With Quote