Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 10, 2009, 12:07 AM   #171

Default I am less than new, if that is possible

Hello!!

I was hoping for some help. We just bought this camera (I got it for my bday! my lovely husband surprised me) and I KNOW NOTHING about how to do ANYTHING... but I am excited to learn.

How do you change the focal length of the camera? I noticed that on your night-moon shot (awesome!) you had 35 mm as the focal length, how do you set that? I tried to duplicate everything you did, but it didn't turn out the same...

ALSO, my pictures are SOO grainy indoors, granted it is not day-time and our lighting is not the best...

thanks
Attached Images

Sams83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 12:22 AM   #172

Hello!!

I was hoping for some help. We just bought this camera (I got it for my bday! my lovely husband surprised me) and I KNOW NOTHING about how to do ANYTHING... but I am excited to learn.
Well... Happy Birthday!

How do you change the focal length of the camera? I noticed that on your night-moon shot (awesome!) you had 35 mm as the focal length, how do you set that? I tried to duplicate everything you did, but it didn't turn out the same... ALSO, my pictures are SOO grainy indoors, granted it is not day-time and our lighting is not the best...
You change the focal length by zooming. That moon has to be just about rising or setting to look that big. Also I had the camera on tripod. Even though you can hand hold it, for shots like that and a lot of indoors you either have to put it on tripod or use flash. If you hold it leaning on something or sitting down, you can get away with handholding indoors. But for night shots, you need tripod. You can also use the night scene mode as it works pretty well.

The best thing you can do is get out and use it, trial and error. Take your manual in case you get stuck on something. It is not a bad manual.

thanks
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 12:33 AM   #173

Thanks so much Jack! I have been reading this thread for the past hour LOL....
I think you hit the nail on the head, it is the tripod that I am missing... I do not have steady hands... I have been going through the manual, but I wanted to cheat a little bit...

thanks again!! you are a GREAT photographer!!
Sams83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 5:11 AM   #174

I have tried all shutter speeds and aperture but couldnt get a descent pic of "Falling Droplets of Water".

Can anyone suggests the best setting for pics like this?

I hope thats a purely camera pic and very little photoshop work is involved...

Nitish
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 1:28 PM   #175

I'm new to this Forum and I was looking for a thread about Nikon p90 and Oly 590, but after reading this threas -thanks to Jack55- I decided to buy p90 to replace my Oly 550.
After seeing alot of Pic on this thread, i think p90 is currently leading the super zooms.
sioyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 6:45 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioyed View Post
I'm new to this Forum and I was looking for a thread about Nikon p90 and Oly 590, but after reading this these -thanks to Jack55- I decided to buy p90 to replace my Oly 550.
After seeing alot of Pic on this thread, i think p90 is currently leading the super zooms.
You won't be disappointed. When you do get yours, post here and tell us about it and if you have questions on it... ask here too.

Cheers
Old May 11, 2009, 7:06 PM   #177

Does anyone have a nice case for this camera? I have 4 memory cards, two spare batteries and the camera Ill need to carry around europe for 10 days.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 8:07 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
Does anyone have a nice case for this camera? I have 4 memory cards, two spare batteries and the camera Ill need to carry around europe for 10 days.
Do what I do... I have the DSLR case for zooms shaped for the camera. The kind that can fit on your hip or over your shoulders. The reason for the bigger case than the ones that fit the superzooms is you have enough room to put the extra stuff and yet it is still compact. Just go to your local camera store and see what works for you. I took my camera, 4 memory cards, two batteries, & cleaning kit down to Best Buy and made sure they all fit before buying.
Old May 12, 2009, 2:05 AM   #179

Default allen

hi jack, I'm new to this forum and I will have my nikon p90 soon .
I would like to ask you about the picture of your folks, did you use the optical with the digital zoom in that pic. ?
allenz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 2:56 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenz888 View Post
hi jack, I'm new to this forum and I will have my nikon p90 soon .
I would like to ask you about the picture of your folks, did you use the optical with the digital zoom in that pic. ?
There are 184 posts. Which one was it. I forget.