Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 12, 2009, 6:03 PM   #181

Im trying my best to learn about this P90 and such. I just tried a few bird pics in the back yard. I was using auto focus and took what I thought to be a few good pictures and they looked good in reviewing them on the camera, but when I got them up on the computer, the branches just in front of the bird are 100% in focus but the bird is probably only...80% in focus although its just a few inches behind the branch. Any tips on this? I tried using manual focus but there seems to be such a broad range of steps that are "in focus" and sadly the veiwfinder and rear screen arent clear enough to tell the difference.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 6:06 PM   #182

PS I was using aperature mode. Im sure a larger depth of field would help but id like to know if its possible some other way.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:14 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
Im trying my best to learn about this P90 and such. I just tried a few bird pics in the back yard. I was using auto focus and took what I thought to be a few good pictures and they looked good in reviewing them on the camera, but when I got them up on the computer, the branches just in front of the bird are 100% in focus but the bird is probably only...80% in focus although its just a few inches behind the branch. Any tips on this? I tried using manual focus but there seems to be such a broad range of steps that are "in focus" and sadly the veiwfinder and rear screen arent clear enough to tell the difference.
In that situation, you need to use the spot meter and zoom in on the bird. Birds are very hard to get as they don't sit still long. Here are two I shot of Blue Jay

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 6:20 PM   #184

I was using spot metering. There isnt a way to move the spot around is there? Here are the photos Im referring to. They were taken seconds apart with just the time to refocus and snap.

Old May 12, 2009, 6:32 PM   #185

Second photo is fine! You just got the branch in the way... not much do, but wait for a clearer shot. It is hit and miss with birds.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:05 PM   #186

I dont believe the bird moved in the first photo though... why did it focus on the bird once and not the other time? Just a chance also?
Old May 12, 2009, 10:15 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
I dont believe the bird moved in the first photo though... why did it focus on the bird once and not the other time? Just a chance also?
I have no idea. I found the same problem when using the long zoom with spot at times too. Touchy focusing maybe?
Old May 13, 2009, 12:48 AM   #188

Good Afternoon to all! I'm actually a noob to photography and while searching for P90 reviews, I came across this thread which I was interested to follow eversince. Thanks to you all and specially Jack55! I decided to get one. Got my own P90 last May 4 and really I have been amazed personally of its zoom and picture quality. Now, I can say all the negative customer reviews on P90 picture quality are not true. This camera is totally awesome... perhaps they need to learn more about the settings of this cam.

I usually use auto mode but now I'm learning the ropes on aperture, ISO, metering, etc. Been consulting the web always and will soon buy one photography books for beginners soon. Perhaps, also, this thread can be of help.

Got some quality shots of my own P90 and want to share these to you all but I've been trying to attach the image here but always a failure. ANY HELP? Thanks!

Can't also wait getting some nice pix next week at BORACAY BEACH...water, sun and bikinis! Warm regards to all!
mossjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 1:57 AM   #189

the one with the yellow crane and with the red star.
allenz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 2:09 AM   #190

which card is better the SD card or the SDHC card, whats the difference?
allenz888 is offline   Reply With Quote