Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 14, 2009, 12:24 PM   #201

Thanks a lot for the quick reply....use the spot meter in aperture mode, am I correct ?
devavrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 12:38 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by devavrat View Post
Thanks a lot for the quick reply....use the spot meter in aperture mode, am I correct ?
Use the spot mode in any mode. I'm not sure you can in the Auto mode, but I never use the Auto mode.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 10:04 AM   #203

Thanks a lot !
devavrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 10:10 PM   #204

Jack - A while back Nitish asked about the maximum memory card supported on the P90 -- I stumbled across it on Page 155 of the online owners manual. Here it is in case anyone else is interested:
Attached Images

GeoffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 11:52 AM   #205

Default Nikon P90 shots at Discovery Park in Tacoma

Nikon P90 shots at Discovery Park in Tacoma

Old May 16, 2009, 11:48 PM   #206

Hi Jack-

You are doing well with this Nikon P-90 thread. For what it might be worth, have you observed that the lens on the Nikon P-90, the Kodak Z980, and the Pentax X-70 all seem to share the very same 24X Optical Zoom Lens??

Perhaps I should post some Kodak Z980 photos in your thread. What do you think??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 12:40 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi Jack-

You are doing well with this Nikon P-90 thread. For what it might be worth, have you observed that the lens on the Nikon P-90, the Kodak Z980, and the Pentax X-70 all seem to share the very same 24X Optical Zoom Lens??

Perhaps I should post some Kodak Z980 photos in your thread. What do you think??

Sarah Joyce
I thought the Pentax looked the same...

Sure... post what you want Sarah.

Still on the ship?
Old May 17, 2009, 7:49 PM   #208

Thanks for the Invitation, Jack-

Here is something that applies equally well to the Nikon P-90, the Pentax X-70, and to the Kodak Z-980 cameras, as they are all the same.

For me, with any camera, it is important for me to be able to personally select the exact focus point in my photo. With the your new camera, when you setup the camera, it is important to select center point focusing. If you select multi-zone focusing you might end up focusing where you never intended to focus.

Please look at the attached photo. The photo on the left was focused using center point focusing. That allows me to focus exactly where I want to focus in the photo. Once I have achieved focus, I just keep holding the shutter button half way down, and if necessary, I re-frame the exactly how I want the photo to be, while maintaining my focus point.

In contrast, the photo on the right was focused using multi-zone focusing. The result it that the camera may not focus on the point you where intending for it to focus. And yep, you get a big surprise.

So the first step, on any new camera, is to set that camera up correctly, as you desire it to work.

Sarah Joyce

P.S. Jack, we are home to 2 weeks and then head for a 6 week contract in Europe on Celebrity Cruises, Summit sailing between Barcelona and Venice.
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 3:02 AM   #209

Hi... Thanks for all the posts. I read evey single one of them, it took quite a long time. Well, I am very impressed especially with the zoom of P90 but I still have doubts. As far as I saw this camera never shoots sharp and brilliant photos. They are always too noisy. I curreny have Canon S2 IS which is a very old model but still have better, I say much more better shots than P90 although it is only 5MP. Here are some samples of my S2:

Now can you understand what I mean? This P90 is light, have perfect zoom.. but I guess never good enough or am I wrong? All those pics in this post seem like they were shot by a simple compact one...

Regards..

Meg

Last edited by mr_meg; May 18, 2009 at 3:07 AM.
mr_meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 3:09 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_meg View Post
I curreny have Canon S2 IS which is a very old model but still have better, I say much more better shots than P90 although it is only 5MP.
Meg
Well, I had the Canon s5is and sold it to get the Sony H50 which blew away the Canon. Then I gave the Sony to my Uncle and got the Nikon P90. The Sony and Nikon are very close with the Nikon getting the edge because of the longer zoom range.

I took hundreds of photos with all three cameras so I know what they can do.

BTW, those are nice photo's you took. You obviously know how to use the camera well.

Last edited by jack55; May 18, 2009 at 3:12 AM.