Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 18, 2009, 3:27 AM   #211

Well, thanks. I always want to be a professional photographer but it is too expensive for me. I can never afford a DSLR and its various lenses. My Canon S2 is not enough for me now because of its 12x zoom and 5MP. So I want to upgrade to a new one. That's why I am trying to figure out which one is the best for me.

Here i want to add some sample shots of my S2:

Jack, do you think I can have better results with P90? Thats the biggest doubt of mine. I dont want to end up with simple shots after paying about $400.

Thank you for your concern.

Last edited by mr_meg; May 18, 2009 at 4:12 AM.
mr_meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 9:07 AM   #212

WOW! Nice Shots, Mr. Meg! I'm always dreaming of capturing shots like those... You do know how to use your cam.
mossjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 9:50 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossjr View Post
WOW! Nice Shots, Mr. Meg! I'm always dreaming of capturing shots like those... You do know how to use your cam.
Thank you very much. I really try my best.

...and so I am wondering. If I buy a P90, can I have at least the same results with it?
Old May 18, 2009, 10:06 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_meg View Post
Thank you very much. I really try my best.

...and so I am wondering. If I buy a P90, can I have at least the same results with it?
I think you could do wonders with the P90 as you know how to work a camera...

What I would do is since your very familiar with the Canon, (and they are very good) go to your nearest camera store and try out these three camera's, Canon SX10IS, Nikon P90 & Sony H50 (I didn't mention the new Sony HX1 because it is $100 more) and try them out. They are all good cameras. At this point, it is a matter of preference. For me, I liked the Nikon P90.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 10:43 AM   #215

Thank you for your reply Jack. I guess I will buy a P90. I have no doubts with Canon because as you said I am very familiar to it. The reason why I wanted P90 is it is lighter and more zoom... Thanks again.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:52 AM   #216

mr meg-

Thanks for posting some excellent photos. That is a very nice selection. You might also give some thought to using a bit of exposure compensation in those very bright scenes to prevent clipped highlights.

Here is my contribution for the day from the nikon P-80.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 11:06 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Thanks for the Invitation, Jack-

Here is something that applies equally well to the Nikon P-90, the Pentax X-70, and to the Kodak Z-980 cameras, as they are all the same.

P.S. Jack, we are home to 2 weeks and then head for a 6 week contract in Europe on Celebrity Cruises, Summit sailing between Barcelona and Venice.
Here is what confuses me Sarah.
Even though they look the same, Nikon claims their using their Nikor ED glass on the P90. So are Pentax & Kodak using the Nikor lens?

What a dream job you have. I'd die for a job like that.

I'm getting ready for a 2 week driving photo op vacation June 6th through Jasper National Park in Canada, to Edmonton, Calgary down through Montana's Glacier National Park & back through Idaho, WA to Tacoma.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:43 PM   #218

I took a Sunday Drive up near Mt Rainier with my wife yesterday. Here are some photo's of that nice drive. All taken with the Nikon P90.
Please tell me your favorites and why.

1. My wife

2. Me

3. A couple fishing & taking in the lovely view.

4.Lovely field

5. Pit stop

6. My "Pentax K10D" camera at work

7. Another lovely field

8. Yet another field.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:55 PM   #219

Those are all great photos, Jack-

I especially like #1 of your wife. It shows the photos that the nikon P-90 is capable of in outdoor condition. The photo was metered very well, with no clipped highlights.

The lens used in the Nikon P-90, the Pentax X-70, and the Kodak Z-980 I am guessing did originate with Nikon. The inclusion of ED glass is desirable but not an unusual feature in lens making today. It is fairly common in the Chinese camera industry to share lenses. That allows a measurable reduction in production run costs when you manufacture a high number of lens sets.

Your upcoming vacation sound like great fun. That is a great area for photo opportunities. I am sure you will enjoy yourself.

Here is a sample of what that lens can do in the macro or close-up mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 1:43 PM   #220

I liked the 4th one, great landscape! It is nice to see snow in warm days of May