Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 21, 2009, 3:32 PM   #251

Shane-

I use the same method as Jack does, and it works perfectly. Just get into the habit of automatically picking the point on which you want to focus, then using center spot focus, push the shutter release halfway down and lock the focus. Now, you are free to re-frame the photo is anyway that you might desire as long as you keep that shutter release halfway down.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 11:08 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

Here is my contribution for the day from the nikon P-80.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, that's a remarkable example -- Very challenging lighting conditions with spectacular variation from the darkest to the lightest regions of the image. I'm astonished at how much detail is preserved. Nice work!

GeoffK
GeoffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 11:58 PM   #253

Well thank you, Geoff-

Please take note of the fact that the photo you are discussing is the new Sony HX-1. it is a very interesting and a very capable camera. But, please excuse me, because this is Jack's GREAT P-90 thread. I am just a super zoom junkie, that Jack tolerates. So from time to time you will find me discussing other super zoom cameras, that might be of interest.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 22, 2009, 12:05 AM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilbog View Post
Jack your vette is really cool and being in the business I can tell you are very meticulous and really know perfection. Your computer systems are at the same standard as your vette it seems. I bought a P90 and I am selling my Coolpix 8700 as a result of this thread and want to thank you for the great job you have done. I am just getting back more into the hobbie as I have time due to an illness. I eventually want to pick up a dslr and will make a point of asking your opinion if it's ok when it is time to do so.

Bob Greer
Bob, I don't think I answered this yet.
Thanks for the compliments.
When your ready to jump into the DSLR I'll be glad to help as I just got a whole new DSLR system just last week. (not my first by any means). This is what I have now besides the Nikon P90: (pic taken with P90)
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/Pe...10D-outfit.htm

And for those of you that like computers, this is the one I built recently:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/Antec900.htm

Also Sarah will be glad to help as she is more of an expert then I am in this field.

Last edited by jack55; May 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 4:41 AM   #255

Thanks JackAHearts, Sarah and of course the man behind the thread, Jack.

I did try changing the WB(White Balance, now I know, thanks to you three) settings and it does change the image completely. Manual WB settings are even better.

Thanks again to all of you.

I just wanted to ask whether you have to compress the pic before posting it here as my images(taken with P90) are too big to be posted. Thats what has prevented me from posting any pics in this thread.
Please Help. I want to post some of my pics taken with P90.

Nitish
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 10:13 AM   #256

Nitish-

Yes, the size (the pixel count both horizontally and vertically) has to be reduced so that a photo can be posted. The max size is 240,000 pivels. So if you had a landscape mode photo, and it was 600 pixels wide by 400 pixels tall, you would be right at the max size, because you multiply width X size to get the total pixel count.

600 pixels X 400 pixels= 240,000 pixels.

You reduce the photo's size by using photo editing software. Some of the free photo editing software programs will even do it.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 22, 2009, 3:36 PM   #257

You can also upload to Photobucket and have them automatically shrink it. I use Large size on their site.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 7:47 AM   #258

Thanks a lot Sarah and JackAHearts. Thanks again.

Well, here are some of the pics I took from my Nikon P90.

These pics were taken from the vehicle by which I was traveling at around 120kmph and that too from inside through the glass.

Then I took some with Macro in the P mode:

And some more...

Thats me, my bro and the pet...

Just take a look and please comment. Criticism is welcomed.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/NITISH%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/NITISH%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by nit90nat; May 24, 2009 at 7:51 AM.
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 8:44 AM   #259

...reading everything and still trying to decide. Thanks to everyone for all your time contributing pictures and experiences.

I don't want to go the DSLR route as I want the convience of one of the superzooms.
I don't mind spending a couple extra hundred between Nikon, Canon etc....so if money wasn't an issue as some have
chosen the Nikon over something else due to the price difference.....if that wasn't an issue, which one would you
have preferrred.

I had a Sony H9 (stolen) then the Kodad X980 (but only for a few days, as I didn't like the quality of the pictures....probably me in not knowing
enough about setting up the camera)....
...but now I'm wondering if you weren't as concerned about price, would you have chosen Sony HX1, Canon SX1 or the Nikon P90 ????

I mainly take outdoor pictures...beach and some action with the surfers so of course I am interested in the zoom along with sharpeness and quality with the zoom.

Thanks very much for your time and input.
mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 10:12 AM   #260

Mahoney, Ive found that when using full zoom, even in fairly bright conditions, the fastest shutter speed provides a dark image. However, 1/1000th @ F 5.0 @ full telephoto is very useable even at iso 64. I have no experience with any other camera of your interest so Ill only speak about that. I also dont have a lot of experience with cameras in general, so take this for what its worth....

Shane

Last edited by JakAHearts; May 24, 2009 at 10:14 AM.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote