Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 24, 2009, 10:39 AM   #261

Mahoney-

I have fairly extensive experience with super zoom cameras, and am a professional Digital Camera Instructor. I have taught thousands of people how to use and get the most from their digital cameras for over 12 years.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but both the Kodak Z-980 and the Nikon P-90 share, a common lens, and many their component parts. One of the real advantages of the Kodak Z-980 is that it has a hot shoe and an external flash.

I have owned the Z-980 for several weeks, and my only complaint thus far has been its poor rendering of skin tones. I also own a Nikon P-80, and it is a fine camera for outdoor use, but as soon as the ISO is increased above 200, noise becomes a problem, exactly as it was with the Canon S-5, which I also own.

The FZ-28, which I also own is an excellent camera and it is very capable of using ISO settings, up to and including 800 with very good results. The same is true of the Sony H-50 which I also own. And I have a Sony HX-1 that I am evaluating.

So, you can pretty easily see that I have considerable superzoom experience. They key question is how can we help you? You mention owning a Sony H-9 camera but it was stolen. So we know that you have some experience. Please tell us the kind of photos that you like to take, and a bit about your photographic experience.

I always like to post a photo when I am answering question so here is a Kodak Z-980 photo that was taken using the Kodak P-20 External Flash. In this case, the external flash which was in a bounce position, added a lot to the Z-980's photo. Please notice there is no hard shadow in this photo that is characteristic of flash shots made using the camera's built-in flash unit.

We will look forward to hearing from you. Have a great weekend!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; May 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 10:49 AM   #262

Nit-

I am guessing that the photos taken from the car while it was traveling, was from a car with tinted windows. Those tinted windows effectively became a filter in front of your lens. As a result those photos have a "hazy" appearance to them.

Likewise you can readily see that when you got outside, your photos improved. The best or most accurate exposure is of the Pine? tree. The photo of the lotus blossom is good, but it could really be improved by using some minus Exposure Compensation. The Lotus photo is slightly over exposed, therefore, due to clipped highlights in the photo, you have lost some of that delicate fine detail. I would have also moved in closer on the Lotus, as you really wanted to show all of the detail that was in the blossom.

I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 24, 2009, 11:43 AM   #263

The flowers are very nice. It is hard to judge the other ones that were shot from inside the car through the window... with that in mind, they came out pretty well considering the glass and movement.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 12:04 PM   #264

Here is a series of photos i shot at increasing iso levels starting at 64 and ending at 1600. All were at 1/2000 and F 5.0 which is the lowest setting at full zoom. I chose the horseshoe pits because one was in direct sunlight and the other was not, plus the backround was shaded. None of the images are altered in any way with software. Obviously your lighting when shooting surfing may be a bit brighter. Also, I would think that you might want a slightly slower shutter speed than 1/2000 for surfing but I guess thats all in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by JakAHearts; May 24, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 4:38 PM   #265

Sarah, and all....

Thanks for responding, and for your questions, as I value your experience and input along with others.

No, I'm don't have a lot of experience as I mainly "point and shoot" then take to my primary activity myself, in the water surfing.

I mainly post my pictures on a web site, very seldom printing any out, but on occasion I have. Of course I have shared my photos with others that wanted the "action picture" of themselves, most likely for printing.

I started with some smaller cameras, then an older Olympus C2100UZ, then (I think) "moved up" to the Sony DSC H9 (also used a 1.7 teleconverter) which I was happy with until I lost it to a car break-in.

One of my favorites of the girlfriend (taken with the old Olympus C2100UZ .....
...."Diamonds"

Then, as I said I moved to the Kodak Z980 which I probably didn't give proper time to it before returning it.
Now I'm looking for another point and shoot zoom to replace my stolen H9 (hopefully a step up) that will give me a nice picture.

I mainly use Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album program to crop, resize, sharpen and sometimes brighten my photos a bit before uploading to the web site http://www.2ndlight.com ... the local surfing web site.

So yes, I'm mostly shooting in what I think is "good" lighting conditions and trying to capture some action with the zoom.

Now, I'm considering the Canon SX1, though not as much zoom, along with the Sony H50, HX1, Nikon P90, and the Olympus SP590 UZ. From some of the comments, I'm kind of ruling out the Olympus, and had been leaning towards the Sony HX1, until I felt the Canon SX1 in the store and then also found all this information on the Nikon P90.
Yes, I'm looking for (wanting) zoom and clairty (of course).

Here I am on an iceberg while visiting my son in Alaska (taken with the H9)

Many of my latest pictures taken with the Sony DSC H9 can be seen here
(scroll down to the later 2007 Alaska & California albums)
http://www.pbase.com/sunrisesurfer/root&page=3

Where I work....

Where I play....

...and finally one of me
Taken by one of my surfing friends, ...
..... though with his 30D and 400 mm lens.
Florida does have waves 3/27/2009 Satellite Beach, Florida

I'm sure all the cameras I'm considering would all do fine, but I would like the best choice for my money of course. I don't have a lot of cameras as some of you do as I have read, .....I have a lot of surfboards, LOL. So, I don't mind spending some extra money to get the best, as it will be my only camera. I know I "should" go to DSLR but I don't want to carry around all those extra lens, nor do I really want to put out 2-3 thousand on a camera and 400mm stabilized lens, though I do like what some of my surfing photography friends have. I know I can't compete with their clarity and sharpness, but I would like to come as close as possible. The sad or maybe fortunate thing is, that pictures uploaded to a web site are only are for a few days (until the next surf session) and then lost to many more. I only wish to upload a nice quality picture, even it isn't the best.

Wow.....
Thanks for taking your time to read all that...
.....and any comments and input that you might have.

~mahoney

Last edited by mahoney; May 24, 2009 at 4:52 PM.
mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 11:11 PM   #266

Well, Mahoney-

You have taken some great photos and had some very interesting experiences. Dare I say it, you have not as yet nailed the exposure equation. But, that will come in the future. My suggestion is that you pick up another Sony H-9 camera, if possible. That is your least expensive alternative. Beyond that I would suggest that you go with the Sony H-50, another excellent camera.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 1:17 AM   #267

Mahoney,

I hate to contradict Sarah, but I've used both the Sony H50 and Nikon P90 and I like the Nikon P90 better for action shots. Which would bode well with the surfing you like to do, especially since you like to post them online. The Sony H50 is a great camera though if you want to go that route as your familar with them. You do lead an interesting life. So record it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Ok, here is the burst mode. The first pic shows where I was sitting. I then zoomed in and held down the shutter button for the burst. Pretty darn sharp at that zoom range with the players! I did some mild cropping to get junk out, but that was it.

Incredible Zoom and Clarity!
Mahoney...
I hate to contradict Sarah, but I've used both the Sony H50 and Nikon P90 and I like the Nikon P90 better for action shots. Which would bode well with the surfing you like to do, especially since you like to post them online. The Sony H50 is a great camera though if you want to go that route as your familar with them.

Last edited by jack55; May 25, 2009 at 1:21 AM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 2:00 AM   #268

Thanks Sarah,
Those were some of my first photos with the P90. I am still using it with the P Mode without much changes.

Now I want know whether the Landscape "Scene" mode is OK for taking outdoor photos or should I make the use of P,A and S modes and make the necessary changes?

Also, is the Macro mode OK for close ups and whether manual setting is essential for those shots(ones of the lotus and the jasmine)?

I'll be out on a trip to one of the most beautiful hill stations of India, Mahabaleshwar (Maharashtra). And I don't want to come back without those beautiful landscapes in my camera.

Help needed in anything from setting up the camera to taking the pics.

Nitish
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 6:34 AM   #269

Thank you for your inputs and comments, to both Sarah and Jack.

From my comments, and your professional standpoint, I assume Sarah's recommendations are based on "what was working for me" and similarity between my previous H9 and the H50, same lens etc.

Though I had planned, and would like to "move up" a bit more, I certainly do need to take a course in photography, or at least read more on my own, experiment to learn, and stay in touch with the forums to learn from others here.

I would imagine any one of the cameras I was considering are a quality camera and would suit my needs, including the Z-980 I returned, had I given it more time, and myself to learn more.

Just as I have read comments from others about "How do you get such good pictures? I've got the same camera." ...that has opened my eyes that it is indeed a learning experience and more education on my part is needed.

I'm still trying to decide for my next superzoom, as I did want to move up a bit more on the zoom factor, but I thank you for your comments.

Thank you Jack, for your comment about the action shots.
I had already taken specific notice of your zoomed football pictures and noticed the IQ. I was very pleased with the sharpness and clarity.
Your comment was one I did want to hear. From the viewpoint of one who has used both and what was better in certain areas.

I am definitely interested in the Nikon P90.

I welcomed both Sarah's and Jack's comments along with others, and only take it as constructive criticism, as I know I do need more experience and "exposure"
I'm definitely putting that "exposure equation" on my list of many things to learn.....I had no idea on even how to judge what might be needed for a picture just by looking at it.

I apologize to Jack for hijacking your thread towards the "what do I need for me?"
...but thank for indulging me, and of course your time and the sharing of your experiences and reviews.

Thanks to everyone,
~mahoney
mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 7:05 AM   #270

hey jack, I just saw this in the net, it says that if you put it on manual mode and open up the apature at its widest (p90 f2.8) and make the shutter speed about 1-2 seconds and mount it in a tripod it will take a better picture. Is this alright for taking night time photos?
allenz888 is offline   Reply With Quote