Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 28, 2009, 12:06 AM   #291

OK Folks-

I am scheduled to receive the Nikon P-90 on Friday, so I should have some photo samples for you over the weekend. We are scheduled to fly to Barcelona on Tuesday, 06/02 for 6 weeks, as usual teaching digital cameras to cruise ship passengers, and telling them about their ports of call.

So please standby, it the delivery is indeed on Friday, 05/29, you will have the photo samples, over the weekend, and I can finally be considered a valid group member. I am sorry to say that delivery is not always right on the dot. If they miss Friday 05/29, it will be a total botch-up, as we have to drive to the big city on Sunday, so that we can get my husband's scooter repaired on Monday 06/01 before we depart for Barcelona on Tuesday, 06/02.

So, all of you, please hold some very positive thoughts that the P-90 will be delivered right on time on Friday, 05/29. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 4:37 PM   #292

These were taken with my Nikon P90

These action shots with the Nikon P90 were not quite as good as the Pentax K10D but not bad at all.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 4:38 PM   #293

......I am also "scheduled" to receive my new Nikon P90 on Friday....that's tomorrow, yeahhhhh

Hopefully I will "learn" how to take "proper pictures" and learn better photography skills from all of you.

I've already downloaded the user manual and started reading...
mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 6:29 PM   #294

Jack, how do I see what settings you used on your bird action shots?
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 7:12 PM   #295

Hi Jack-

That is a really excellent bird series. Well Done!

Has anyone else noticed that Steve's has published a Nikon P-90 review finally.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 9:25 PM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
Jack, how do I see what settings you used on your bird action shots?
It is tricky. You need patience on this one.
First, select menu, then P, then Metering, then spot., then AF area mode, select center, then Continuous.
Second, set your camera on the dial to the runner, (below the green camera icon) then push your menu button, select Continuous H (16.9).

Now you pick a spot you think the bird will be or land and you focus on that. You cannot focus on the bird. They're too fast. Then when you see the bird coming, be sure to focus (push half way down) on your chosen spot again, because the camera shuts off after a few seconds. When the bird is close push the shutter all the way down and hold it until bird is gone.

I may have forgotten something, but this is it in a nutshell. It takes more patience than anything waiting for your bird.

NOTE: The first two shots were not done like above. Those I set the First paragraph, then P mode, zoomed in to the spot the bird will land and kept that focus and shot when the bird showed up. This mode gives you the best resolution and sharpness. Another way to do it is in S (shutter mode), but make sure the Aperture is set to blur the background. I use the shutter mode if I want to stop action, like the bird flying in.

Last edited by jack55; May 29, 2009 at 2:00 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 1:36 AM   #297

That is a really excellent bird series. Well Done!
Thank you Sarah!
I wish I had some EAGLES to practice on. Maybe this winter I will go to the famed
Upper Skagit Bald Eagle Festival
http://www.skagiteagle.org/

Has anyone else noticed that Steve's has published a Nikon P-90 review finally.
Yep... about time!
Here is Steve's Nikon P90 review... very positive:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2009_...n_p90_pg2.html

Last edited by jack55; May 29, 2009 at 1:57 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 8:21 AM   #298

What do you mean by Motion Detection in P90?

How Does it help?

Also it's often recommended that we use it with VR. Why So?
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 8:58 AM   #299
SAH

Awesome shots on the bird very cool!!!

Some low light and video thoughts for the P90:

last night i had the chance to try the P90 in some low light situation. It was my sons last conscert so i thought i would give the camera it's rounds. Although i am not estactic about the results I am also not displeased by them. I feel with more practice and some adjustments I should be able to get better pictures in low light situations. I can't post some of the close up pictures on here do to they are not my kids but i feel this one photo of the whole band should be ok. I will have some other photos available once i get them on the band website. This was at 400 ISO on the P setting and also I took some using the auto feature for party/indoor. This is a definite upgrade from my old diamage Z1 so i am pleased.
As far as video goes it once again is an upgrade for me but falls a bit short but then again it is not HD. I bought the camera for photos not the video function so truthfully I was not to dissapointed with the out come. I should have a sample of it posted in the future so everyone can see how it does.

Really though I think with some of a bit of adjustment this picture would have been better. Seems the faces of the kids got a little out of focus and they may have been do to not having the metering set properly. Also this was handheld and i may have gotten a better picture with the tripod.
here is the same pic with a bit of help. resized and some color correction.

Last edited by SAH; May 29, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:56 AM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
It is tricky. You need patience on this one.
First, select menu, then P, then Metering, then spot., then AF area mode, select center, then Continuous.
Second, set your camera on the dial to the runner, (below the green camera icon) then push your menu button, select Continuous H (16.9).

Now you pick a spot you think the bird will be or land and you focus on that. You cannot focus on the bird. They're too fast. Then when you see the bird coming, be sure to focus (push half way down) on your chosen spot again, because the camera shuts off after a few seconds. When the bird is close push the shutter all the way down and hold it until bird is gone.

I may have forgotten something, but this is it in a nutshell. It takes more patience than anything waiting for your bird.

NOTE: The first two shots were not done like above. Those I set the First paragraph, then P mode, zoomed in to the spot the bird will land and kept that focus and shot when the bird showed up. This mode gives you the best resolution and sharpness. Another way to do it is in S (shutter mode), but make sure the Aperture is set to blur the background. I use the shutter mode if I want to stop action, like the bird flying in.

Thanks, but I meant what settings the pictures were actually taken at. I think its called EXIF info? Thanks!

Shane
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote