Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 29, 2009, 11:57 AM   #301

SAH -

The result you achieved with the band photo is the usual result. When I am shooting at a high ISO setting of ISO 400 and above, I take a test photo with the Exposure Compensation set to zero. The result is usually exactly like the result you got.

Then I set the Exposure Compensation to EV-1.0 and shoot another test photo. What I am looking for on the camera's LCD screen is for the facial tones to begin to appear well exposed and normal in appearance. Based on my test photos it may take EV-1.3 or even more or less, based on what I can see on the camera's LCD.

Once I have the exposure nailed, then I am ready to shoot the photos that I desire. So essentially, with my test photos I have tailored the camera's exposure to the exact lighting.

Keep in mind that you will also have to adjust the camera's WB to the lighting as well.

Here is a sample photo that was taken at about 100 to 120 feet from the stage, using the zoom capability of the camera. Keep in mind as well that as you zoom, the camera's maximum available aperture is also decreased. On the P-90 in the wide angle position on the zoom control, the maximum available aperture will be F 2.8, while at full zoom, the maximum available aperture will be F 5.0.

Here is my on stage photo.
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 1:10 PM   #302
SAH

WOW!!! nice shot!!! I believe i understand what you are saying but will research farther so I completely understand. My problem last night was that i didn't do test shots but will definitely do that in the future. Still learning this thing and all the stuff that comes with it. In the past i was a more put it in auto and shoot with some knowledge of f/stop, aperture and stuff. The EV though has me a bit confused so i will research that more. Thanks for the tips

Steve
Old May 29, 2009, 1:23 PM   #303
SAH

The fun keeps coming...
This is a resized panoramic shot of downtown cincinnati, ohio river and Northern Kentucky. Done with the panoramic assist and supplied software

The below link is the full size version
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/pancincy.jpg
Old May 29, 2009, 3:44 PM   #304

Steve-

I will happy break to down my post even more, if that would help you. It is no problem at all. I had no idea of your photo knowledge level so that is why I approached the problem as I did.
The key elements are these:

*set the correct ISO, or you can elect to use Auto ISO
*set the correct WB to match the lighting in your photo environment
*take a test photo to determine how the P-90 is handling your settings
*if there is over exposure evident when you view the photo on the camera's LCD
*then you will have to adjust the camera to get the correct exposure
*I adjusted the exposure by using the P-90's Exposure Compensation control
* I set into the camera an Exp Comp setting of EV -1.0
*I then did another test shot. The facial tones were still too white and chalky
*So I used LESS light, by resetting the Exp Comp to EV -1.3
*I took another test photo, and looking at it on the Camera's LCD is was OK
*I had targeted the camera's exposure correctly, and the facial tones were OK
*Now I set-up to take my "keeper" photos.

Perhaps, seeing it step by step will make it clearer.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 29, 2009, 4:28 PM   #305
SAH

That makes it very clear thank you very much. I had been adjusting the EV earlier in the day and noticed what it did as far as making a picture brighter or dimmer but didn't put that together with the photos i did last night. Now i am really excited because seeing the photo that you posted makes me realize that this camera will do just about everythting i need it to do and more.
Old May 29, 2009, 5:39 PM   #306

I've enjoyed reading all your views and photos from the Nikon P90. I have a question regarding its ability to take sport pictures. I currently have the Olympus SP570 although its a great camera I feel it lacks the speed and clarity at full zoom to take pictures of my son's rugby matches, and as a winter sport it is usually played in very dull/foggy conditions. I was looking at buying the Olympus SP590 for extra zoom, then read about the Nikon and wondered in your opinions how it might fair? Or are the sensors on these bridge cameras too small to cope with the higher speeds required for fast sports? I have also been looking at the new Lumix G1, but I do like the lens range of these super zooms, close up to infinity all built in.
So in a nutshell my question is, is the Nikon P90 any good for fast sport in bad light?

Thanks
Sandra
slipperyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 5:52 PM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyjoe View Post
I've enjoyed reading all your views and photos from the Nikon P90. I have a question regarding its ability to take sport pictures. I currently have the Olympus SP570 although its a great camera I feel it lacks the speed and clarity at full zoom to take pictures of my son's rugby matches, and as a winter sport it is usually played in very dull/foggy conditions. I was looking at buying the Olympus SP590 for extra zoom, then read about the Nikon and wondered in your opinions how it might fair? Or are the sensors on these bridge cameras too small to cope with the higher speeds required for fast sports? I have also been looking at the new Lumix G1, but I do like the lens range of these super zooms, close up to infinity all built in.
So in a nutshell my question is, is the Nikon P90 any good for fast sport in bad light?

Thanks
Sandra
Well, if you saw my football shots, those were pretty darn good. However, that was in good lighting, so in the lighting your talking about... I don't really know. Maybe someone here has done that?
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 6:58 PM   #308

silly me I must have skipped that page of the thread that would have answered my question. I presume the first pic of the football game is the position you were zoomig from? if so that is what I want from the camera, I want to see the pain on my son's face.
BTW similar sport...your football very similar to our rugby but less padding
Thanks for your reply, you are a font of knowledge.

Sandra
slipperyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 7:02 PM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyjoe View Post
silly me I must have skipped that page of the thread that would have answered my question. I presume the first pic of the football game is the position you were zoomig from? if so that is what I want from the camera, I want to see the pain on my son's face.
BTW similar sport...your football very similar to our rugby but less padding
Thanks for your reply, you are a font of knowledge.

Sandra
Yes it was from that spot waaaay up in the stands, so I was impressed with the clarity of the shots.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 7:18 PM   #310

SAH-

Congratulations on a very excellent panorama, taken with your P-90.

I am delighted to hear that the second, step by step guide helped you. I am always happy to help when I at home.

However, as a digital camera instructor I also teach digital cameras to the passengers on cruise ships, helping them get the very best photos and giving port lectures as well. So we will leave on Sunday, 05/30 so we can be in position in Barcelona, Spain for a 6 week contract beginning on 06/03. So, I will remain active on the Forum until we depart, then I won't resume again until around 07/25, with an ocassional exception when I join in from overseas.

My Nikon P-90 just arrived, thanks to the UPS man. So the battery is charging and I should have some photos for you beginning tomorrow, 05/30.

I just wanted to add one more thought. It is really important to get the exposure precisely right. When a photo is either under or over exposed, it can be save with photo editing software. However, other components of your photo will be very much affect. The WB for example in an under or over exposed photo, tends to go measurably down hill as you manipulate the image with photo editing software. So nailing the exposure the first time is essential.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM.