Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 31, 2009, 8:34 AM   #321
SAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
Thank you, but there's got to be something wrong with these pics. The P90 can't be the perfect camera? And I'm no photogrpher.
Nice photos and really I don't think anyone is saying it's the perfect camera. It has things that could have been better such as a better LCD, better low light pictures. I think it's all about enjoyment of use and I am enjoying using it and to me it is putting out some great pictures for a point and shoot camera. All pic's below were resized in photobucket.

Here is the moon at dawn using the full capacity of the zoom including the digital zoom. This was a handheld photo with no photoediting doner afterwards.

This photo is later in the night using a tripod at full zoom including digital zoom

added this in this was the next night. Actually less adjustment bettter picture

Last edited by SAH; May 31, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 8:44 AM   #322

I just read about Sarah's post on taking low light pictures.
But one thing that puzzles me is the Exposure Compensation feature. How and when can one know that the set exposure compensation is the best for a particular scene?

Also, what is a over-exposed photo? I mean how to recognize one?
For eg., is this one over-exposed. Its resized by photobucket.

And what are clipped highlights? How to reduce the clipping?

Nitish
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 7:21 PM   #323

Nitish-

With a little experience, you can tell over exposure pretty easily. Let's deal with the low light level situation first. If, when you pull your photo up on the camera's LCD screen and you can see that the facial tones on people's faces is chalky white and detail is missing, that is very easy to determine to be overexposure. In a low light level environment, I always let the facial tones be the largest determining factor in evaluating exposure.

Now in your lotus flower photo, things become much more subtle when determining exposure. I believe that there is a tiny bit of over exposure because there is a small lack of fine detail right in the center of the blossom. But I was not there taking the photo, so I am having to sort of second guess the photo situation.

It costs no more to take several photos of the same subject. I often bracket the exposure with three shots. One at the camera's computed exposure, one at EV -0.3 and one at EV +0.3. I do this because when I get back to my computer, that is usually not a convenient time to go re-shoot the photo again.

And finally, in my very short experience with the P-90, I have already found that the P-90 tends to slightly overexpose (at least for my taste) in its normal shooting mode when dealing with shade or cloudy lighting. I personally prefer a photo that is slightly underexposed when I am photo editing.

The detail is still there, and good editing will bring it out and normalize the photo. When a photo is overexposed, the detail is gone, and can never be re-captured in photo editing. Clipped Highlights are identified by looking at the photo's histogram. Clipped Highlights generally occur when the camera lacks the expected Dynamic Range (the ability to successfully record many light level). Clipped Highlights are also another indication of overexposure.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 31, 2009 at 7:30 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 9:46 PM   #324
SAH

Busy weekend but not to busy to get a few in.
Here is momas boy Monty

Here is hunter bean(don't ask why we call him hunter bean because i am not sure we know)

And our sweet heart Jade

And a rose closeup again

New toy can't help myself!!!!
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:31 AM   #325

these two pictures was used with the p90's sport mode this was 15 fps
Attached Images

allenz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:21 AM   #326

First one is pretty blurred. What is that at the top falling into glass?
Second one looks really good!
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:37 AM   #327

that was a wet cotton haha
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:38 AM   #328

I also like the second photo jack
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:34 AM   #329

Thanks Sarah.
That makes the exposure concept very clear. No wonder you are Digital Camera Instructor and I think a very very good one at at that.

I just tried getting pics with different exposures and it works wonders. Now, I am waiting for another lotus blossom as my granny chopped some off due to thier increasing population. Will post one as soon as we get one.

Thanks Sarah, thanks again.

Nitish
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:08 AM   #330

hey I did this one last night forgot to post it.
this was taken with the shutter speed of 5 sec. the green lines were done with a green laser pointer.
Attached Images