Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:14 PM   #331
SAH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nice pic's everyone. I really like the glass and water one. the second picture is great.


Now on to batteries. I posted in the battery section about new batteries or should i say back up batteries for this camera. I got a couple suggestions. One is more expensive the other not so much. Was wondering should i go with a more expensive battery even to the point of getting one from bestbuy for 40$ or are the cheaper ones as good as stated and work as well as the more expensive ones?
  Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:16 PM   #332
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

allenz888-

Both the wet cotton ball drop and the laser pointer shots show a lot of creativity. The second cotton ball drop is my favorite.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:18 PM   #333
Junior Member
 
featherhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 27
Default

I just ordered one on Ebay direct from Hong Kong for $4.97 delivered.

Li Battery for Nikon EN-EL5. I'll let ya know how it works.
featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 3:43 PM   #334
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAH View Post
Now on to batteries. I posted in the battery section about new batteries or should i say back up batteries for this camera. I got a couple suggestions. One is more expensive the other not so much. Was wondering should i go with a more expensive battery even to the point of getting one from bestbuy for 40$ or are the cheaper ones as good as stated and work as well as the more expensive ones?
I've learned over the years that when you get the cheaper batteries, they don't last nearly as long as the brand that came with the camera. Yes, they work but they don't last as long. In this case, you get what you pay for. Don't buy the good battery at Best Buy, get it on Amazon and they cost less.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 3:57 PM   #335
SAH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Whats up with the reviews of the P90. There are very few good ones that i have seen. The biggest problem is picture quality, but from what i have seen on here that has not been a issue. I am truely confused. Heck even my moon shot at 24x zoom plus 4 times digital zoom are not that bad. The last of three is actually really good. I am an a wannabe amatuer astronomer and when I can see shadows of the craters at the termination point I am impressed. I read one review where a person said he thought these images on this thread were fixed in photoshop so he he wanted an honest review from someone else. I can say i have never done anything except resize and take a little brightness out of my pan shot. I don't know what to think. I went and compared to other similar cameras and so far i don't see any real discernible difference. I mean some have HD video but it's only 720p which really is not all that great and not a deal breaker for me. I prefer the tilt screen over the HD any day and the sony flip out screen would last 2 seconds with my younger son who loves to take pictures. I notice that most don't have as good of resolution as the P90 but the LCD looks better than the P90. I believe none have over 230,000 dot resolution and a couple only have 200,000. So what do you think? I generally don't fuss over bad reviews but it seems I am obsessing over it a bit for some reason.
  Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:13 PM   #336
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Default Indoor picture setting

I just received the P90 3 days ago for my birthday and I love it. I used it at a friends birthday party which was outside and it was amazing. I cant get the same results for indoor pictures though. Any suggestions as to what set up is best for indoor pictures?
I would really appreciate the help.
tink5281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:16 PM   #337
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Whats up with the reviews of the P90. There are very few good ones that i have seen. The biggest problem is picture quality, but from what i have seen on here that has not been a issue. I am truely confused. Heck even my moon shot at 24x zoom plus 4 times digital zoom are not that bad. The last of three is actually really good. I am an a wannabe amatuer astronomer and when I can see shadows of the craters at the termination point I am impressed. I read one review where a person said he thought these images on this thread were fixed in photoshop so he he wanted an honest review from someone else. I can say i have never done anything except resize and take a little brightness out of my pan shot. I don't know what to think. I went and compared to other similar cameras and so far i don't see any real discernible difference. I mean some have HD video but it's only 720p which really is not all that great and not a deal breaker for me. I prefer the tilt screen over the HD any day and the sony flip out screen would last 2 seconds with my younger son who loves to take pictures. I notice that most don't have as good of resolution as the P90 but the LCD looks better than the P90. I believe none have over 230,000 dot resolution and a couple only have 200,000. So what do you think? I generally don't fuss over bad reviews but it seems I am obsessing over it a bit for some reason.
I think part of the problem is this is a more advance camera than some other superzooms. You have features on this camera like you do on the lower end DLSR's. I think this Nikon P90 shines when you know how to use it. As just a snapshooter, it may not fare as well as some of the others maybe. I've notice that if you shoot in AUTO mode, (green camera) it is OK most of the time, (nothing impresive) but shines when you use the other modes.

Just my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink5281 View Post
I just received the P90 3 days ago for my birthday and I love it. I used it at a friends birthday party which was outside and it was amazing. I cant get the same results for indoor pictures though. Any suggestions as to what set up is best for indoor pictures?
I would really appreciate the help.
It would help if you tell us what settings you used indoors, such as flash or no flash, what mode ect.

Last edited by jack55; Jun 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:19 PM   #338
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

For what it might be worth, I have had excellent experiences with batteries purchased on E-Bay. It seems to me that I read a post from featherhead that he had found a battery on E-Bay for less than $(US) 10.00.

www.amazon.com has two kinds of EN-EL-5 batteries, one selling for $6.58 and one selling for $7.86.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:27 PM   #339
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

I just checked for the battery myself. at www.ebuybatteries.com, the Nikon En-EL-5 battery is selling for $17.00 with $2.00 for shipping and handling.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:32 PM   #340
Senior Member
 
jack55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I just checked for the battery myself. at www.ebuybatteries.com, the Nikon En-EL-5 battery is selling for $17.00 with $2.00 for shipping and handling.

Sarah Joyce
Like I said, it is cheaper online than buying at Best Buy which cost $40.

BTW, I thought you were leaving on your cruise this weekend Sarah?
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:51 AM.