Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:38 PM   #341

I bought the L100 on impulse and used it for a week. I was very happy until I read reviews on the P90. Took it in for exchange and am thrilled with the tilt screen. Was out shooting yesterday and was able to position shot very comfortably as compared to the fixed screen.
featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:41 PM   #342

With indoor photos, on the P-90, you are dependent on the camera's built-in flash unit for providing the light for your photo. Use the "P" mode on your P-90's Mode Selector, that the ISO set to Auto ISO, and that the Flash Compensation is at the zero mark. The next thing you must be concerned with is keeping your subject within the P-90's built-in flash range.

The built-in flash on the P-90 is designed to provide sufficient light for indoor photos out to a maximum of 15 feet. Anything beyond 15 feet measured from camera to your subject will be underexposed. An underexposed photo looks very dark because you were beyond the usable flash range for the P-90.

Following those rules, you should get photos that are well lighted and properly exposed. Here is a flash photo example taken with my Nikon P-80.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 1, 2009 at 4:56 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:48 PM   #343

Hi Jack-

No, you are not rid of me yet, ha-ha! We drove to Portland, OR yesterday and then got my husband's scooter (he is disabled) repaired today. Tomorrow 06/02, we fly PDX-FRA-BCN.

So we will be arriving in Barcelona (BCN) at about 11:00am local time, and we will head for the port and check into the Celebrity Cruise Lines ship, Summit, which will be our home for the next 6 weeks.

We got the scooter repair finished here in PDX by noon. So I am just dinking around on the internet. We head for our son's home for dinner at 5:30pm.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:07 PM   #344

I bought this set of two batteries off of amazon and they are fantastic. They actually last longer in the camera than the one that came with the camera itself. I cant speak for their longevity because ive only have the camera for a few months but I bet theyve been charged about 5 times each and are still going strong. For 12 bucks shipped for 2 batteries, you cant beat it. http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Lithiu...3897567&sr=8-3

Shane
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:21 PM   #345

The power of the Nikon P90 Zoom! My Pentax DSLR didn't help me here.
So now I know why I got the Nikon P90
BTW, what woodpecker is this? This is the first one I've ever seen around here. He is bigger than the Scrub Jay.

You can barely see the woodpecker in this photo from my backyard. Where the white arrow is.

Zoomed all the way in and cropped a bit

Amazing, amazing zoom! Makes it well worth the price alone!

Last edited by jack55; Jun 1, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:34 PM   #346
SAH

That is awesome!!!!That:s what I am talking about. If you read the reviews allot of them say at full or close to full zoom there is to grainy of a look but this proves that wrong!WTG
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:49 AM   #347

-allenz888-

Both the wet cotton ball drop and the laser pointer shots show a lot of creativity. The second cotton ball drop is my favorite.

Sarah Joyce

me to I also like the second photo
allenz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:22 AM   #348

06/02/09

Well today we head for Barcelona to teach digital cameras for 6 weeks. We will see you after 07/22. Take care and keep taking photos!

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:48 AM   #349

What is metering in P90?

To my knowledge, we use it for focus fixation.....I am not sure. Can anyone elaborate?

Nitish
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:38 AM   #350

Nitish-

When the shutter release on the P-90 is pressed half way down, two actions take place.

(1) The camera meters the light in the photo scene, based on the exposure instructions you have selected. In other words,when the camera es"metering", it is determining the exposure, and then setting that exposure into the camera to take the photo when the shutter release is fully deployed.

(2) The camera determines an accurate focus for your selected photo scene and sets into the camera, waiting for full shutter release deployment.

I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce