Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:36 PM   #351

Doesnt the camera meter the scene before you press the shutter halfway? Or does only the LCD screen change to show what the photo will look like after the pic is taken?
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:10 PM   #352

The camera meters the scene before you press the shutter halfway
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:27 PM   #353

I thought so but wasnt positive. Jack, is it possible to view the exif info on the computer from the memory card or do I have to look at it in the camera? Thanks!

Shane
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:05 PM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
Jack, is it possible to view the exif info on the computer from the memory card or do I have to look at it in the camera? Thanks!

Shane
You can do it on the computer by right clicking on the photo and clicking "properties". I'm not sure if you can do it in the camera. Haven't tried that yet.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:09 PM   #355

Im not at home at the moment but I believe when you are viewing the image on the camera, you hit the display button until you get the shot info along with a histogram.

Also, when you are right clicking and hitting properties, are you using the provided Nikon software? My properties only include file size and name.

Shane
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:13 PM   #356

Quote:
Im not at home at the moment but I believe when you are viewing the image on the camera, you hit the display button until you get the shot info along with a histogram.

Also, when you are right clicking and hitting properties, are you using the provided Nikon software? My properties only include file size and name.

Shane
NOPE, haven't even tried the Nikon software yet. I prefer PhotoShop.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:09 PM   #357

That's good since the Nikon software has no editing features whatsoever. I still cant get the exif info up on the screen. What version of windows are you running?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:55 PM   #358

Quote:
That's good since the Nikon software has no editing features whatsoever. I still cant get the exif info up on the screen. What version of windows are you running?
Vista Ultimate 64bit on my Desktop, XP Pro 64bit on my notebook.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:53 AM   #359
SAH

So lets talk about low light situations and the camera performance in this lighting. Right now i think it is mediocre at best and i know alott of it is more me the user than probably the camera. I have been playing around with it a bit a dusk just to see what settings work best for this type lighting. i have used the auto dusk/dawn setting in the scene mode with some success but it is spotty at best. I have also used the EV adjustment on the P mode with mixed results also. I have noticed the biggest problem being is slow shutter speed so when i take a picture hand held the picture naturally comes out blurred because even the best vibration reduction can only do so much. I have went to the S mode and adjusted the speed up a bit but then the pic's come out to dark even with adjusting the EV compensation. Same results adjusting the A mode. I have yet to mess with the manual mode but will do that next. Also the flash does work good for shots within 20 ft or so. I do have a tripod and I know that that can help but i was wondering what anyone thinks of a monopod and if that would help in this type of situatuion? or should i work more on the manual side and understand this better to get better pictures?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:36 PM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAH View Post
So lets talk about low light situations and the camera performance in this lighting. Right now i think it is mediocre at best and i know alott of it is more me the user than probably the camera. I have been playing around with it a bit a dusk just to see what settings work best for this type lighting. i have used the auto dusk/dawn setting in the scene mode with some success but it is spotty at best. I have also used the EV adjustment on the P mode with mixed results also. I have noticed the biggest problem being is slow shutter speed so when i take a picture hand held the picture naturally comes out blurred because even the best vibration reduction can only do so much. I have went to the S mode and adjusted the speed up a bit but then the pic's come out to dark even with adjusting the EV compensation. Same results adjusting the A mode. I have yet to mess with the manual mode but will do that next. Also the flash does work good for shots within 20 ft or so. I do have a tripod and I know that that can help but i was wondering what anyone thinks of a monopod and if that would help in this type of situatuion? or should i work more on the manual side and understand this better to get better pictures?
One word: TRIPOD!
Sure VR works and helps in most situations, but for low light work, every pro I know, even with the DLSR gang, use a tripod for most low light situations. Heck I use it in daylight sometimes too. The VR is making photographers lazy anymore.

That said, once you have it on tripod, experiment with different settings and you will get photos like this one I took: