Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 5, 2009, 7:41 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebluess View Post
Hello and holy cow i love this camera. A few years ago I was shown this site when me and someone were debating cameras as we were both to get new ones. I am not a professional photographer, but i am a professional mom of a teenager So I like taking photos of him, and I used to be a graphic artist... so I do like getting creative. I had stuck to my beloved Kodak, cuz really, for my purposes, Kodak has never failed me.

The other day my grandfather, for no reason what so ever, sent me a little money telling me to get a new camera. I have decided that I want to take that money and put it towards something that I might be able to use to dabble in a bit and learn more about. So i have been searching. And this thread has got me wanting the p90 sooooooooooo badly! I have just the right amount of money right now to go pick it up, but if I did we would be without food or gas or any bill the next two weeks (did i mention im a struggling single mom?)

anyway, my anxiety in me is afraid that this camera will dissapear by the time I have enough money. I know, not logical. If anything it might come down in price? But I do have a question

I am visioning photos of my sons races. Hes a cross country and track star. Do you feel this camera would be good with a optical zoom (not mixing in digital) and in a sports mode? Or would I expect pics of some very blurry fast runners? I saw the football ones, and also the bird ones that were done in the "burst mode" but i am not quite sure....

i mean, this photo below was taken on my iphone and i am wondering if this particular camera with the outstanding zoom would be the same..i know iphone vs real camera, not the same, but what i see here is a moderately clear everything except my kid whos a blur.
I'm no photo pro, not even an intermediate but I can say that after two weeks on the P90 you can capture some great pictures. I'd say if you put the p90 on a tripod and zoom in on that frame in sports continuous mode you'll stop him in his tracks. Companies are obviously racing to give more options for the money before their competitors do. Nikon just upgraded the P80 to the P90 by adding a tilting LCD, greater zoom and more pixels. All for under $400. What they have'nt done is used bigger CCD sensors and faster lens. That's why you move uo to DSLRs for $800 and up. I'd be willing to say the coolpix L100 would do as good a job on a tripod. You could get that model for $249. I'm not so sure I bought a lot more for my extra $120 because the small CCD on the P90 does not allow very good zoom in low light conditions. If anything I'd say the tilting LCD is worth the extra money. Makes it super easy to hold the camera at relaxing angles.
featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:13 PM   #372

I was out snapping pics today and was using the viewfinder because it was very bright out. Anyway, does anyone elses P90 tick every second or so? I dont have the focus set on anything that might affect the lense automatically refocusing.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 4:17 PM   #373

I feel compelled to add some pics now as a reward for someone answering the above question.

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:23 PM   #374

Finally got my hands on a P90 and it absolutely knocks me out. Having just gotten started with the camera, I may be more aware of a couple of things that the old hands take for granted but should be underlined for anyone trying the P90 for the first time. I suspect that most of the people who have been disappointed in this camera would have felt differently if they had known these things:

Image Stabilization (Vibration Reduction) works amazingly well, but if you haven't tried it in combination with Best Shot Selection (BSS) --- The results will knock your socks off, especially at maximum zoom hand-held. Press the shutter release half-way and hold it there for a second or so -- You will see the image stabilize right before your eyes, but better yet the BSS is stashing images into a buffer where it holds them until you press the shutter release all the way down. Then it presents you with the sharpest of the ten images that were recorded up until you clicked the button. Results at maximum zoom will show you why this camera is worth every penny of the $400 bucks or so you paid for it. Of course a tripod will give even better results, but what this camera can do hand-held is amazing.

One other thing to watch out for -- Using the fully automatic mode, the camera defaults to AF (Autofocus) which will focus on the "subject" which is closest to the camera -- Which may not be what you are thinking of as the subject of your photo at all. An image of someone sitting across the table from you may be out of focus because the AF focused on a water glass on the table. If you want the camera to do most of the decision-making for you but you want to be sure it focuses on what you want, try using the "P" (Program) setting with autofocus set to Center. Center focusing is not offered as an option in the fully automatic mode.

Besides amazingly sharp photos hand-held at an equivalent of well over 600 mm telephoto, you get wide angle, a viewfinder, and a monitor that tilts -- extremely useful features.

Heading for Yellowstone soon and can hardly wait to give this puppy room to roam!

Geoff
GeoffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:55 PM   #375

I was out doing a sunset here in western NC.
Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:26 PM   #376

A couple more
Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:31 PM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffK View Post
Image Stabilization (Vibration Reduction) works amazingly well, but if you haven't tried it in combination with Best Shot Selection (BSS) --- The results will knock your socks off, especially at maximum zoom hand-held. Press the shutter release half-way and hold it there for a second or so -- You will see the image stabilize right before your eyes, but better yet the BSS is stashing images into a buffer where it holds them until you press the shutter release all the way down. Then it presents you with the sharpest of the ten images that were recorded up until you clicked the button. Results at maximum zoom will show you why this camera is worth every penny of the $400 bucks or so you paid for it. Of course a tripod will give even better results, but what this camera can do hand-held is amazing.
Geoff
One thing I've not figured out yet is why the manual says to turn the VR off when using a tripod. Any ID?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:58 AM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
One thing I've not figured out yet is why the manual says to turn the VR off when using a tripod. Any ID?
I've been wondering myself. Anybody know? It is not just on this camera but others as well. Sometimes I forget to turn VR off when I have it on Tripod, but it still takes good pictures.

JakAHearts, featherhead, nice photo's you guy are posting!

Geoff, good points. This camera is worth every penny spent.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:16 AM   #379

Default Oops

Jack, I've realized that I may have made a major booboo in my preceding post as to how the Best Shot Selector works.

I had thought that BSS stores images in a buffer while the shutter release is held halfway down but apparently (according to the manual) it doesn't actually kick in until you press down all the way. The manual (Page 118) says, "The camera takes up to ten images while the shutter-release button is held down." In general, when the manual means "held down half-way" it says exactly that, so this would seem to mean that BSS only kicks in when you press it all the way. I have confirmed that this seems to be true: If I hold the shutter release all the way down, the camera does take exactly ten images. However -- Based on a small amount of experimentation so far, not one of those ten images has been coming close to the sharpness of focus I was getting using BSS the way I described in my previous post!

If the manual is accurate about BSS, pressing and releasing the shutter release should result in only one image being recorded, so the only thing working to your advantage would be the P90's amazing image stabilization system. But when I do that I have been getting GREAT results.

OTOH, when I hold the shutter release down I can see ten separate images being taken by the camera but the one chosen by BSS has been mediocre at best. I wonder if it's possible that doing it this way interferes with image stabilization or something?

I plan to keep on experimenting as time permits and encourage others to do the same. In the meantime I will post an example of the results I have been getting using the "press and release" method with BSS and Image Stabilization both turned on.

Geoff
Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:51 AM   #380

This is an example of the results I've been getting by turning on BSS and Vibration Reduction, holding the shutter release half-way down for a second or two, then pressing all the way down and releasing.

No pretense of great art, just an experiment. These shots of my neighbor's play structure were taken on a very cloudy morning, hand-held, through the not very clean double-pane glass of a sliding door -- But all I'm interested in is the sharpness of focus.

First shot is uncropped, the next two are (obviously) cropped from the first. Check out the bolt heads and the individual links of chain in the third one.

And keep in mind, these are hand-held at maximum optical zoom with an exposure of ABOUT ONE-SEVENTEENTH OF A SECOND at f/5.0.
Attached Images