Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:22 PM   #401

I've been reading this thread for a couple of weeks and it's really tempting me to buy the P90. However, I'm a little apprehensive about whether I should settle for something less expensive and if this is too much camera for a novice such as myself.

I would say 90% of the photos I would be taking will be of my 1-1/2 year old active daughter. I want something that takes the picture quickly from the time I hit the button. Does that make sense? Right now I have a little Kodak EasyShare that is 2MP and about 5 years old. When I take a picture of my daughter many times I miss the smile as by the time the camera captures the photo she has turned her head or is heading right at me wanting to see the "baby" on the camera. Haha! Also, I'd love to take candid photos of her from across the yard without her knowing... which is why the zoom caught my attention.

My mom has a P80 and when I saw the P90 came out and reading about it I thought it may be a good option for me. I'm a novice though and will this be too much camera for what I'm wanting? Is there something else out there that would be better suited for the type of pictures I want to take or do I take the plunge?

I am generally interested in photography and would love to take great quality photos of my little one as well as good photos of the wildlife that lives in the wetland area behind my home. We are also getting ready to go the Oregon Zoo in a couple weeks as well as the Oregon Coast. I'd LOVE to get some great pictures while I'm there.

Any input from those of you who have loved your P90? Am I crazy to want one? Should I settle for something less? Will a "novice" like myself be able to figure out this camera?

Thank you for your ideas/opinions/etc, I do appreciate it!
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:32 PM   #402

Well Lissa... first, welcome to the forum!

For pure point & shoot cameras, I've seen some shoot better out of the box before tweaking the settings. Once you've tweaked the menu, such as "Optimize image/Vivid and under expose by one stop and use the program mode, (I never use the Auto mode) you will see good pictures.

This camera is great for novices that want to learn more about using the camera as it has a lot of features.

You say you want to shoot some wildlife etc. Then this camera is fantastic with that long zoom and tilting LCD.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:39 PM   #403

Thanks Jack for your help!

I really think I will regret it if I don't splurge and get this camera. I better go order it so it arrives in time for our "Oregon Staycation". Haha!

So what you're saying above is that when I get the camera if I fiddle with the settings to the Optimize / Vivid, etc. that I should get some great pictures? Or just in general if I do that on a P&S?

It sounds like I better get this ASAP so I can start messing around with it before my trip in late June.

Thank you! I'm SURE I will be back asking for help and advice!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:43 PM   #404

Sorry to be a pest....

Do I need anything else besides the camera? I've got a 2GB SanDisk card at home but wonder if I need something that holds more?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:51 PM   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Sorry to be a pest....

Do I need anything else besides the camera? I've got a 2GB SanDisk card at home but wonder if I need something that holds more?
Three things you need for sure.
1. At least a 4GB card
2. At least one extra battery.
3. YOU!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:54 PM   #406

Awesome! I'm sure I'll be back soon posting pictures and asking for suggestions on settings. One nice thing is that I did take a couple of photography classes in high school so I'm kind of familiar with some settings... but that was over 10 years ago and we were still using the film and the dark room. Haha!

Thanks again for your help!!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:20 PM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Awesome! I'm sure I'll be back soon posting pictures and asking for suggestions on settings. One nice thing is that I did take a couple of photography classes in high school so I'm kind of familiar with some settings... but that was over 10 years ago and we were still using the film and the dark room. Haha!

Thanks again for your help!!
PhotoShop or similar programs will be your darkroom now.
I know you'll love this camera!

Where is Stayton? I grew up in the Medford/Grants Pass area.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:26 PM   #408

Yay! Can't wait to try the camera out!!

Stayton is about 20 miles east of Salem, just beyond the cascade foothills off of Hwy 22.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:13 PM   #409
SAH

Only thing I would say is get a SDHC card. It is a few dollars more but I think you could get one at walmart between 10-15$ for a 4 GB. I think I paid 20$ for a 8 GB.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:58 AM   #410

This is why i like these forums, because the many examples you get and variety of opinions. a few pages back someone wrote that it seemed like reading reviews he saw so much bad about the picture quality.
where that may be very true, generally speaking you are always going to see more negative posts then positive. people are more likely to jump on a big website and leave a bad review as a way to get their complaint heard then someone who is too busy to review cuz they are happily using their product.

that being said, there are still sooooo many more good reviews on this camera (like on bestbuy.com or amazon) then bad, which makes this camera which i find amazing. i am patiently waiting to see if i am going to ever get a child support check again before purchasing this, but i dont think its happening. I may just have to jump in and get it already cuz i want to start learning.
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote