Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:53 AM   #411

holy cow, i was going to wait till at least next week to get it, but it was looking like it would be an hour drive for the closest store (i keep watching them sell out of stores closer)

as of this morning, best buy in the next town over got them in again. i couldnt help myself. i bought it. and hopefully will be picking it up today (if the website wasnt wrong) i cant wait.
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:23 AM   #412

I ordered mine yesterday evening from Amazon, along with an 8GB SDHC card and the extra batteries that someone posted a link to a few pages back. It should arrive next week and I can't wait to start fiddling around with it!!
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:57 PM   #413
SAH

Well I am off to the beach for vacation!!Hopefully I will have some great pictures when I get back!!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:16 AM   #414

Hi Jack and all,
I have been reading this thread since its inception, and Jack's wonderful pics amazed me. I read a lot of reviews about this camera, and i think, as rightly said before that the results depends on the person behind equally. Jack has been taking wonderful pictures out of P90. Some people are complaining of the poor quality images.

I guess what one need to understand it that what they really want to do with this kind of superzooms. I was tempted to buy the P90, because i think it offers wonderful value for the money. But since I will print only portraits that too of low-light indoors, i chose D40 (which is a bit pricey). But given the chance (and the money) I wd love to have P90 also as my second camera.
Ps: thanks Jack, Sarah and others, because this thread has again awaken my long forgotten hobby.
forthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:15 AM   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthe View Post
Hi Jack and all,
I have been reading this thread since its inception, and Jack's wonderful pics amazed me. I read a lot of reviews about this camera, and i think, as rightly said before that the results depends on the person behind equally. Jack has been taking wonderful pictures out of P90. Some people are complaining of the poor quality images.

I guess what one need to understand it that what they really want to do with this kind of superzooms. I was tempted to buy the P90, because i think it offers wonderful value for the money. But since I will print only portraits that too of low-light indoors, i chose D40 (which is a bit pricey). But given the chance (and the money) I wd love to have P90 also as my second camera.
Ps: thanks Jack, Sarah and others, because this thread has again awaken my long forgotten hobby.
I too use a Pentax K10D DSLR and supplement it with the Nikon P90.
Makes for a terrific outfit as there is a time and place for both.

Example in case was the woodpecker that was too far for the Pentax and I captured perfectly with the Nikon.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:35 PM   #416

My P90 arrived yesterday and I love it! Snapped a few flower pictures around the office today over lunch. So far I haven't messed with the manual settings but did use the macro some today. I'm hoping to read through the manual and refresh myself on the manual settings - I haven't used anything other than a pocket point and shoot since college.

I believe the link above will let anyone see the photos. I also tested out the super zoom over lunch too. Now I can't wait for a blue sky, sunny day to head up to the mountains and watch for wildlife!

I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions
DanainDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:40 PM   #417

Not bad for first flower shots. The blue snapdragon being the best.
A little tinkering with the camera and you'll be on the way!
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:07 PM   #418

ok, I hate to say this i am on the fence and i soooo dont want to be there. background, i got the camera 2 days ago, but since then i have worked 2 13 hour shifts so alls ive done is work and slept. and so far the pics i have taken are just on auto.

first problem, the lcd screen. omg, it makes the pictures awful! put was pleasently surprised when i opened them on my computer.
ill just show a few of the first shots. obviously resized greatly, but i will still get my thoughts across fine. BTW, even though i didnt do anything to this but resize i am good at photoshop as i was a former graphic artist. but i dont want to have to redo every photo. so i dont know what to think

very first shot, while opening it while at work. this was about 2 am in a hospital so as you see lights were off.its the crash cart at work. no flash used. not so bad for being dark, but if you make it full size, ugg. but i wasnt discouraged with this at all, especially with the close up for the bag which was nice..

also in the dark at work, but i actually kinda liked it

done working now, slept, ready to play! first pictures, my son, and this right here is where i first got pretty discourged. no matter what i did i couldnt get a good pic, again though, this is all in auto

then moved outside. i am not a nature person by nature, so not a whole lot of nature shots will be taken (though i am looking forward to my first moon). not bad of grass and car wheel

then this super impressed me. fence around my condo, then second pic, same spot, but a sign that is barely noticeable in the first pic. so nice zoom!

moved back inside, was trying to get Orca (dog). some ok, some not.

so the main reason i am on the fence is cuz of the pictures of my prized posesion, my son. there will be many indoor photos of him and i dont want them to be like this. i am hoping there will be a easy solution. so i will continue to read this thread and try to learn from the manual, but i want to love this camera, but so far, with the son pics, not so much
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:43 PM   #419

Don't know is anyone answered this for you, but it is a male Red-shafted Flicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
BTW, what woodpecker is this? This is the first one I've ever seen around here. He is bigger than the Scrub Jay.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:34 PM   #420

ok, played a bit more and got a little better inside, but right now i am just in my home, so there isnt much to play with. what i would like to see is other people post their indoor pictures, besides the candles. i mean, people/party whatever shots. i guess i want t know if it can be done