Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:37 PM   #471

Default Zoom Test

I did a zoom test. Results are here -> http://www.pbase.com/zippyzx3/p90zoomtest

This is a FUN little camera.

Tim
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:02 PM   #472

I took a day off last week, just to head up to Rocky Mountain National Park and take pictures and get more familiar with the P90. Was a fun morning - I took over 600 pictures before noon! Granted, I was taking pictures of Longs Peak as daylight hit the top.

Here are a few I snapped that day. The waterfall shot was taken freehand - in haze of early morning I thought I had forgotten the tripod at home.
Attached Images

Last edited by DanainDenver; Jun 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM.
DanainDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:29 PM   #473

Hi Jack55.
Well!! Got back from Hawaii and have to say I got some great DAY time Pictures with the P90.
VERY Disappointed with the Nite Shots and Zoom at nite, even when using a tripod. All but a few were blurred and non usable. Tried all settings and everything I could, no good. I missed some great shots of the lava flow
Went to my camera dealer when i got home to see if they had an answer. They didnt, and there was no fault in the camera.
Anyway needless to say i was upset. The Dealer suggested I try another camera, the Nikon D5000. I took them up on the Offer and they refunded ALL my money, towards the D5000.
So far I am impressed, i have only had this Camera a few days and will let you know the results. It is a Great beginners SLR.
RichardK

Last edited by RichardK; Jun 28, 2009 at 7:32 PM.
RichardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:57 AM   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
I understand that aspect. I meant after you take a picture, I thought it was possible to retain that focus for the next shot so that the camera wouldnt have to refocus to take another shot. Is that possible?

Shane
Nope.
That's not possible. But what is the need of such provision. You have to focus in different areas in different pics.

And Richard, it's good to hear from you but sad to know that yo no more hold this camera.
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:50 PM   #475

Default Thanks

Thanks Jack.
I too was saddened, but what the heck, who knows what will happen next year. Keep in Touch.
Richard.
RichardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 6:27 PM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by nit90nat View Post
Nope.
That's not possible. But what is the need of such provision. You have to focus in different areas in different pics.

And Richard, it's good to hear from you but sad to know that yo no more hold this camera.
Well, if you are shooting a subject over and over at the same distance, the ability to not have to refocus would drop your shot to shot times a lot. Oh well, not really a big deal.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:13 PM   #477

Very impressive pics. Hope to learn how to use my camera that well. Have taken SLR for years but new to DSLR. Recently bought a Pentax K20D after 8 months of research, very happy so far.
oldschool52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:56 PM   #478

I am quite enjoying this camera although i admit i am getting fustrated without knowing somethings. i have 4 ays off in a row this week so i think ill head to the city and get photos that appeal to me. in the meantime here are some more... obviously photoshopped... i am not quite the type to leave things alone...

and lastly a new moon photo i took a few hours ago during the day. oddly enough this was handheld max zoom. when i used the tripod (and even took off the vr) this was the best one

icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:08 PM   #479

i am trying to edit my post but it doesnt seem to be working. what i was trying to say above is the moon one was best when i did the handheld version. the ones on the tripod didnt come out as well.
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:45 PM   #480

Default Photo's of Jasper National Park, Alberta

Well, I see it has been busy here since I've been gone! Some great pictures posted too.
I was in Jasper National Park in Alberta and down to Glacier National Park in N. Montana.
I thought I died and went to heaven.

Here are some shots of Jasper. Later, I did shots of Glacier, which were my better shots.

The local Subaru Dealership where we bought our new Forester, paid me to shoot some of the car with the mountains.
They were happy with the shots. It was cloudy and tough to get too.

These next few pictures were taken on the Jasper Tramway, which is the longest & highest aerial tramway in Canada.
You end up at 3243 feet.
You will see the power of the zoom in these pictures.

If you look closely, you will see where we started out at way below. Long ride up!

Quite a view from up here. Looks like it is about to tip over too!

Now for the power of the zoom!
You see the resort town of Jasper in first pic, then I zoom in and you can see where I parked our car at the motel.

Last edited by jack55; Jun 30, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote