Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:26 AM   #481

Default One more zoom test I did today.

Handheld inside a building looking out the door opening. The center strip is the same width as the larger picture, I just cut the top and bottom off. This really gives you an idea on the power of the Super Zoom. Full wide to full zoom.

Tim
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:32 AM   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
It is tricky. You need patience on this one.
First, select menu, then P, then Metering, then spot., then AF area mode, select center, then Continuous.
Second, set your camera on the dial to the runner, (below the green camera icon) then push your menu button, select Continuous H (16.9).

Now you pick a spot you think the bird will be or land and you focus on that. You cannot focus on the bird. They're too fast. Then when you see the bird coming, be sure to focus (push half way down) on your chosen spot again, because the camera shuts off after a few seconds. When the bird is close push the shutter all the way down and hold it until bird is gone.

I may have forgotten something, but this is it in a nutshell. It takes more patience than anything waiting for your bird.

NOTE: The first two shots were not done like above. Those I set the First paragraph, then P mode, zoomed in to the spot the bird will land and kept that focus and shot when the bird showed up. This mode gives you the best resolution and sharpness. Another way to do it is in S (shutter mode), but make sure the Aperture is set to blur the background. I use the shutter mode if I want to stop action, like the bird flying in.

NIKON D90 - Advice please!

Hi there

This is my first comment in here...

Just placed an order for the D90 and very keen to learn how to get those blurred background images - is it straightforward?

Sorry if I'm asking a silly question!
EmmaJane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:43 AM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJane3 View Post
NIKON D90 - Advice please!

Hi there

This is my first comment in here...

Just placed an order for the D90 and very keen to learn how to get those blurred background images - is it straightforward?

Sorry if I'm asking a silly question!
Welcome to the fast growing Nikon P90 club!

When you're trying to manipulate depth of field (blur the background), you adjust a lens's aperture: bigger iris opening (smaller f-stop number) yields a shallower field and tends to blur background (and foreground), a smaller aperture (larger number) yields a deeper field.

So what you do is put the P90 on A mode and rotate the dial (where the thumb is) to the smallest f-stop number.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:50 AM   #484

THANK YOU!

I'm new to "proper" photography - to date I've been using a pocket sized point and shoot - a trip to Kenya is Feb inspired me to get on with it and get a good one, have always loved photography.

I'm sure I'll be visiting here lots - thanks all in advance.

Emma
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:39 AM   #485

Default Just to clarify...

Hi

Just to clarify that it is possible to get a crisp foreground image, i.e. a close up of a person, with a blurred background?

Am concerned as this is certainly something I'm hoping to achieve.

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2009, 9:16 PM   #486

yes emmajane, you can achieve that. there are settings you just have to play with as jack mentioned earlier...

like this one from today

zippy i thought of you when i took this, cuz i said i wasnt a flower girl. go figure

this doesnt show it but i am throwing it in there.

Last edited by icebluess; Jul 2, 2009 at 9:19 PM.
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:30 PM   #487

how does the p90 preform while taking sports shots, like the when taking 15 fps shots, does it work pretty well, and do the pictures look good, i think you can only shoot in 3mp size with the 15 fps. looking to buy one of the p90 for shooting my daughters softball games with the burst mode and was just wondering how well it works, if anyone has tried it. thanks in advance.
gstrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:31 PM   #488

Default Multi Shots Using P 90

HI.... Can any advise how to take an multishot image with Nikon P 90, I have tried using sport mode but the images are not that much clear..
archisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:09 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstrantz View Post
how does the p90 preform while taking sports shots, like the when taking 15 fps shots, does it work pretty well, and do the pictures look good, i think you can only shoot in 3mp size with the 15 fps. looking to buy one of the p90 for shooting my daughters softball games with the burst mode and was just wondering how well it works, if anyone has tried it. thanks in advance.
Go back through the threads and find my football game I shot way up in the stands. I think you will be impressed.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 3:31 AM   #490

Default Multi shots

I am trying to get a clear multishots using Nikon P 90 ... but the images are becoming blur.... as there is fewer option in the sports mode to adjust... so i am still on to get a good multishot image with this Camera...
archisman is offline   Reply With Quote