Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 9, 2009, 5:54 PM   #531

So in manual mode... what is controllable in the P90?
vampirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 6:59 AM   #532

Default Exposers

Exposers
Attached Images

archisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:01 AM   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
I doubt that camera took that photo or it was at a different settings.
I looked at the properties and when it doesn't show the camera or settings, that usually mean it has been seriously altered. A DSLR would have trouble getting it that good at 6400. I think the guy is windy.
Please forgive me if I am getting into a conversation that I obviously have no idea what is being talked about, but that picture you guys are talking about shows the properties.... or am i wrong? i am just learning now about this exif stuff, and i am constantly looking at them

this is what i am seeing
Camera: Pentax X70 Exposure: 0.02 sec (1/50) Aperture: f/4.0 Focal Length: 17.1 mm Focal Length: 17.1 mm ISO Speed: 6400 Exposure Bias: 0 EV Flash: Off
File Size: 513 kB File Type: JPEG MIME Type: image/jpeg Image Width: 1600 Image Height: 1200 Encoding Process: Baseline DCT, Huffman coding Bits Per Sample: 8 Color Components: 3 X-Resolution: 1 Y-Resolution: 1 Orientation: Horizontal (normal) Software: ACD Systems Digital Imaging Date and Time (Modified): 2009:04:09 14:01:02 YCbCr Positioning: Centered Date and Time (Original): 2009:04:19 13:55:02 Date and Time (Digitized): 2009:04:19 13:55:02 Compressed Bits Per Pixel: 3 Max Aperture Value: 4.0 Metering Mode: Multi-segment Sub Sec Time: 198 Color Space: sRGB Custom Rendered: Normal Exposure Mode: Auto White Balance: Auto Digital Zoom Ratio: 1 Focal Length In35mm Format: 97 mm Scene Capture Type: Standard Contrast: Normal Saturation: Normal Sharpness: Normal Subject Distance Range: Unknown Pentax Version: 4.6.0.0 Pentax Model Type: 2 Preview Image Size: 640x480 Preview Image Length: 40631 Preview Image Start: 20059 Pentax Model ID: Unknown (0x12dae) Date: 2009:04:19 Time: 13:55:02 Quality: Best Pentax Image Size: 2592x1944 Picture Mode: Manual; 0 Flash Mode: Off Focus Mode: Normal AFPoint Selected: Auto AFPoints In Focus: Center Focus Position: 217 Exposure Time: 1/50 FNumber: 4.0 ISO: 6400 Light Reading: 14 Exposure Compensation: 0 Metering Mode: Multi-segment Auto Bracketing: 0 White Balance: Auto White Balance Mode: Auto (Flash) Blue Balance: 2.33203125 Red Balance: 1.4453125 Digital Zoom: 1 Saturation: Normal Contrast: Normal Sharpness: Normal World Time Location: Hometown Hometown City: Los Angeles Destination City: Los Angeles Hometown DST: Yes Destination DST: Yes DSPFirmware Version: 1.00.01.00 Image Processing: Unprocessed Image Processing Count: 0 Flash Exposure Comp: 0 Dynamic Range Expansion: Unknown (1) Data Dump: (Binary data 2540 bytes) Compression: JPEG (old-style)
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:09 PM   #534

I know I am pretty late to this thread but I was wondering; Is it fairly simple to get good shots out of the P90? I have had digital cameras for years but they were very simple, almost completely automatic cameras. I am asking since I am getting ready to get a new camera very soon and want something that will take good pictures and will allow me to "blow-up" my photos and make pretty large prints, maybe a little larger than 16"X20"
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:04 AM   #535

Max, I found it pretty easy to use out of the box, and the longer I've had it, and the more I work with the settings - the more I love it!
DanainDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:08 AM   #536

Here are a few from this week's adventure...from the Maroon Bells near Aspen, CO. One of my new favorite places!
Attached Images

DanainDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:18 AM   #537

Quote:
I know I am pretty late to this thread but I was wondering; Is it fairly simple to get good shots out of the P90? I have had digital cameras for years but they were very simple, almost completely automatic cameras. I am asking since I am getting ready to get a new camera very soon and want something that will take good pictures and will allow me to "blow-up" my photos and make pretty large prints, maybe a little larger than 16"X20"
well the p90 has the auto mode just like most cameras you already used. but it is fun to play around with the settings to see what else it does. sometimes it takes me 10-20 shots to get one good one out of it, but thats just because i dont quite understand the settings yet. i just keep playing. But on auto mode, its simple and easy. look back in the thread, almost every page has photos. some not as great, but others are just beautiful.

although i am still fighting with the indoor people and things pictures. its not great for that, i will use my other camera for that, until i learn what i am doing wrong, if anything.
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:00 PM   #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebluess View Post

although i am still fighting with the indoor people and things pictures. its not great for that, i will use my other camera for that, until i learn what i am doing wrong, if anything.
that's what cnet.com says. they say that the auto white balance makes indoor subjects look too yellowish, and there can be noticeable purple fringing
Old Jul 12, 2009, 9:28 AM   #539

Hi everyone. Have been reading this for a few days and was persuaded to make the purchase. I bought the P90 two days ago and have been playing with it over the weekend. Took it to a boxing event last night and did everything wrong and got no results. Took it today to the footy and cant believe how good the shots were. Will try and post the pics.
backofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 9:41 AM   #540

The first shot is landscape mode, no zoom.
The second shot is landscape mode, full zoom on someone in the crowd directly opposite me holding up a sign. The grass area is about 70m wide so the zoom shot would be close to 90 meters away. Sorry to anyone who doesnt use meters for measuring. ( About the length of a football field )
Very impressive.
Attached Images

Last edited by backofthehill; Jul 13, 2009 at 2:00 AM.
backofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote