Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:09 PM   #551

Thanks mtclimber! I actually know very little about cameras...my cheapie Kodak broke just two days ago, and since I'm flying to the UK for the Fringe (leaving on Friday for the internship), I figured I might as well spend a little to get a really good one.

Since then, I read the manual like my life depended on it, and have been checking out various tutorials on exposure and other little delghts...just goes to show anyone can learn!
schwingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:22 PM   #552

Yes, Schwingaway, I surely do agree with you!

You have made a good choice with the Nikon P-90. It will challenge you a bit, but you will learn in the process. Keep on trucking, you are on the right track.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:08 PM   #553

Nice to hear from you again Sarah.

Well, just wanted to ask whether there are any tutorials on exposure and focus as mentioned above by Schwingaway.

Well, till then these are some of my pics. I couldn't post many due these darn slow internet speeds in my area and limited uploading. But I think it has been long sinse my last pic post and so decided to spend some extra money on uploading it.

Comments are welcome. And so are the suggestions.

Some flowers from my backyard.

And some tree from my distant neighbor's backyard. This is at full zoom.

My pet, Lyka. Had to strap her up for this one. Almost impossible to take a pic of her as she hates cameras more than ice cold water.

Captured this one when I was least prepared. That's a two way road in rural India, considered a luxury there. Well, this was at about 180kmph from my uncle's SUV through the windshield.

Agian at around 180kmph and from tinted glass. The lack of time prevented me from stopping and then capturing this beauty of nature.

And some more flowers. This all in an attempt to learn a thing or two about the Exposure and ultimately get it right. I didnt bother about focus here as each of three flowers was as beautiful. Focused at infinty and just clicked to get in this one. You can find hoards of this stuff in my backyard thanks to my grandmom.

Every suggestion and comment is welcomed. Especially the technical aspects.

Nitish.

Last edited by nit90nat; Jul 15, 2009 at 1:05 AM.
nit90nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:03 AM   #554

Quote:
Icebluess.. I've seen some of your indoor music/club pix...
hi there... I think you either got me mixed up with someone else or you misunderstood me. I have gotten some gorgeous pictures, but not inside, or not anything worth bragging about. no music/club ones. Unless your looking at my avatar which kinda looks like one, but is an old camera.but i did say something about only getting 10-20 when i was in chicago. i was exaggerating.... i got more then that, but for me its not about a picture, its about a story behind it, and i didnt get that many stories. i can take a million photos of a flower, but unless it theres something about it that has a story, i don't print it...

ill give a few examples... one or two of these you have seen...
this woman visits this place every day and never once until that morning, walked in the water herself

these little plant things grew in the concrete ledge along lake michigan. no other plants or life grew there, so these plants had no business being there, but there they were, sprouting up against all odds

I had a tragic past year, hospitalized over 100 days in 6 different hospitalizations. on of the tramas causing it happened at a park. i decided to try to face my fears and reenter thaqt park a few weeks ago. i never made it past the entrance. but here was this little flower that reminded me that there still is beauty to be had in that park

and one of my favorites... this photo came out blurry, by all means something probably most of you would reject...and then i made it even more distorted.... but there is a story behind it that i dont want to forget. when i went to chicago i was running away pretty much from all the going on in my life, and then i met this man. this man lost his legs in a land mine in war.. but he loves god, he loves his life, and he has made it "his job" in life to sit on this chicago corner and greet people every morning.

so thats what i meant by that comment
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:52 PM   #555

Thought I'd share a couple new picture that I took a couple days ago...

One of my Balloon Flower Plants...

My blooming Butterfly bush...

The hummingbirds love this bush... these pictures didn't really turn out but thought I would share them anyhow. I really wish I had a tripod so they would have turned out clearer:

Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:56 PM   #556

A lot of great pictures showing up lately!
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:19 PM   #557

Folks... I decided to make the jump to the Nikon D5000 which also has the tilting LCD.

Last edited by jack55; Jul 22, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:51 PM   #558

Congratulations, Jack-

It nice to have you join the Nikon DSLR Forums as well as the Pentax DSLR Forums (you still have the Pentax K-10 camera, right?) Quite frankly I did the same thing. So please don't be concerned, Jack.

I think the Nikon D-40X and the D-5000 DSLR cameras are great. I use the SB-400, SB-600, and SB-800 flashes along with the Nikon 18-55 mm, the Nikon 18-105 mm, the Nikon 24-120mm, and the Nikon 18-200 mm lenses. so, Jack, you have made a very good choice/decision in DSLR cameras.

You will enjoy the Nikon D-5000 camera a lot, I know.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:55 AM   #559
SAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Folks... I decided to make the jump to the Nikon D5000 which also has the tilting LCD.
This means I have to sell my current Nikon P90.
I am not sure what to think of this. You spent a bunch of time convincing a bunch of people to buy/keep this camera and then you post that you want to sell it. Is it that you don't believe in what you've stated here or what? What happened to the excitment you had for the P90? Next time please do not make a big fuss over a camera that you do not intend to keep that is really wrong to mislead people like that. Kinda makes me wonder iof your not a nikon employee just out to get people to buy this camera. I believe it to be a good camera and I will continue to use it but will no longer post pictures here because this is a poser post!!!!!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:25 AM   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAH View Post
I am not sure what to think of this. You spent a bunch of time convincing a bunch of people to buy/keep this camera and then you post that you want to sell it. Is it that you don't believe in what you've stated here or what? What happened to the excitment you had for the P90? Next time please do not make a big fuss over a camera that you do not intend to keep that is really wrong to mislead people like that. Kinda makes me wonder iof your not a nikon employee just out to get people to buy this camera. I believe it to be a good camera and I will continue to use it but will no longer post pictures here because this is a poser post!!!!!
First, I do this part time for a living, so I been using a DSLR as well as a superzoom. If I work for Nikon, why do I have a Pentax DSLR? The Nikon D5000 is the DSLR copy of the P90.

C'mon... grow up.