Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:32 AM   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
First, I do this part time for a living, so I been using a DSLR as well as a superzoom. If I work for Nikon, why do I have a Pentax DSLR? The Nikon D5000 is the DSLR copy of the P90.

C'mon... grow up.
I was kinda bummed out to see that Jack is selling his P90 but I really appreciate his information and help (thanks Jack).. especially because he is a DSLR user. I've seen many DSLR users in forums do NOTHING but dis the point and shoots.

Although I don't own a P90, I'm in the market for a megazoom and this thread has been invaluable. I think this speaks to the power of the DSLR and that these megazooms are light years away... unfortunately. But I'm not giving up hope... I know you get what you pay for..... but it seems cameras are only getting better and better. I see the new Fuji S200EXR will be released next month... but I want more zoom AND don't want to pay a DSLR price! It seems I want it all - excellent image quality AND zoom... oh yeah.. and performance too

Jack... I've been reading up on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 and have seriously been considering it (only reason I haven't bought it yet is due to the smaller zoom at 18x). There's rumors that a newer model may be released this month or next. The reviews I've read is that the image quality is really quite good - better than most of these megazooms. Do you have any thoughts on this... or anyone else?

This decision is "killing me"!
vampirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:51 AM   #562

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefish View Post
I was kinda bummed out to see that Jack is selling his P90 but I really appreciate his information and help (thanks Jack).. especially because he is a DSLR user. I've seen many DSLR users in forums do NOTHING but dis the point and shoots.

Although I don't own a P90, I'm in the market for a megazoom and this thread has been invaluable. I think this speaks to the power of the DSLR and that these megazooms are light years away... unfortunately. But I'm not giving up hope... I know you get what you pay for..... but it seems cameras are only getting better and better. I see the new Fuji S200EXR will be released next month... but I want more zoom AND don't want to pay a DSLR price! It seems I want it all - excellent image quality AND zoom... oh yeah.. and performance too

Jack... I've been reading up on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 and have seriously been considering it (only reason I haven't bought it yet is due to the smaller zoom at 18x). There's rumors that a newer model may be released this month or next. The reviews I've read is that the image quality is really quite good - better than most of these megazooms. Do you have any thoughts on this... or anyone else?

This decision is "killing me"!
Nope, I don't dis the point & shoots, especially the superzooms. I'm impressed with how far they've come. Unless your seriously making money with photography, you don't really need a DSLR. Actually some of the top superzooms out there now are better than the low end DSLR's feature wise and the zoom range etc.

As far as the Lumix DMC-FZ28, it is only 10.1 megapixels with 18X zoom is no match for Nikon's 12.1 megapixel with 24X zoom that also has the tilting LCD. But it is a matter of preference. All these superzooms can take great photo's. Your best bet is to go down to a store like Best Buy and try them both out side by side and see for yourself. That is what I did.

Last edited by jack55; Jul 23, 2009 at 1:56 AM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:19 AM   #563

Quote:
Nope, I don't dis the point & shoots, especially the superzooms. I'm impressed with how far they've come. Unless your seriously making money with photography, you don't really need a DSLR. Actually some of the top superzooms out there now are better than the low end DSLR's feature wise and the zoom range etc.

As far as the Lumix DMC-FZ28, it is only 10.1 megapixels with 18X zoom is no match for Nikon's 12.1 megapixel with 24X zoom that also has the tilting LCD. But it is a matter of preference. All these superzooms can take great photo's. Your best bet is to go down to a store like Best Buy and try them both out side by side and see for yourself. That is what I did.
Thanks Jack... yeah, I've attempted to go to Best Buy and the Nikon wasn't even powered. The girl told me it would take her a 'really long time' to find the cord for it (blah blah). And the only other model they had was the cheaper Canon. As for camera stores... they only seem to live off the Kitsap Peninsula nowadays I'm sure I'll find the right one for me.. just not sure I'll be able to touch many in the process of elimination.

I do agree that the zoom is no match (Panny vs Nikon)... but in more reading I've done, since these camera's sensors are so small (as compared to DSLR)... the difference between 10 megapixal and 12 megapixel is minimal. I've read that the CMOS (sensor) is best (thoughts?)- like the Canon ... however if I bought a Canon it would be the more expensive model (SX1) and then we're heading into that higher price category. I've been looking at the Panasonic because of Steve's review and his sample pages in low light, high ISO were outstanding as compared to the other super zooms. It also utilizes the CMOS (and larger sensor than most). BUT... I won't buy it (at least not now) due to the smaller zoom.

I don't want to get caught up in the megapixel hype but I do want a powerful zoom. One thing I've really noticed in a majority of these forums is wonderful macro shots. Now as much as I know I'll do some of that, it won't be my most prominent use of the camera.

- kary
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:54 PM   #564

Quote:
The girl told me it would take her a 'really long time' to find the cord for it (blah blah)
uggggg, this would totally send me over the top. I am extremely patient person by nature, a little too much so I am often told. But when it comes to me wanting to spend several hundred dollars in a store, they better be willing to go find me that cord or ill spend the money elsewhere and ill make sure the store knows why my money walked out their front door.

ok, i sound like a grouch, but I swear, I am really not
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:19 PM   #565

Default D5000

Quote:
Folks... I decided to make the jump to the Nikon D5000 which also has the tilting LCD.
I also am on the verge of getting a D5000. But I will keep the P90
for it's obvious qualities. My wife is getting into the camera too.
After looking at all the DSLR's I think i settled on the D5000.
Jack I am surprised you won't stick with the Pentax, Or you probably are but
just out of curiosity why 2 DSLR's?
Twice as many lenses to buy.

Bob
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 2:03 PM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebluess View Post
uggggg, this would totally send me over the top. I am extremely patient person by nature, a little too much so I am often told. But when it comes to me wanting to spend several hundred dollars in a store, they better be willing to go find me that cord or ill spend the money elsewhere and ill make sure the store knows why my money walked out their front door.

ok, i sound like a grouch, but I swear, I am really not
I totally know what you mean! I could not believe it.. well maybe I could.... except that in this economy!!! I was ready to just let loose... but just left instead. Stupid 'mega stores'!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:08 PM   #567

Quote:
Folks... I decided to make the jump to the Nikon D5000 which also has the tilting LCD.
Hey Jack... here's the inevitable question.. why? Is it the obvious... because it's not a DSLR? I'm very interested in your answer... as I'm afraid as soon as I buy one (or whatever megazoom I decide on)... I won't be completely satisfied.. . Even though the megazooms are cheaper... it's still alot of money...
Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:31 PM   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilbog View Post
Jack I am surprised you won't stick with the Pentax, Or you probably are but just out of curiosity why 2 DSLR's?
Twice as many lenses to buy.

Bob
Well, I want to try both for awhile and then keep the one I like best.
The Pentax K20D is gonna be hard to beat being it has the VR in the body and can use any lens since 1952. No other camera can boast that.
So if I end up selling the Nikon D5000, I'll go back to the Nikon P90 again for a second camera. I still like that one the best for superzooms.

If you guys check on my past here, I tend to buy & sell new cameras every 6 months or so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefish View Post
Hey Jack... here's the inevitable question.. why? Is it the obvious... because it's not a DSLR? I'm very interested in your answer... as I'm afraid as soon as I buy one (or whatever megazoom I decide on)... I won't be completely satisfied.. . Even though the megazooms are cheaper... it's still alot of money...
I plan to blow up a few photos past 11x14's and even if the megapixels is the same between a DSLR & superzoom, they're not the same. I did find doing wildlife photo's a quite a bit easier to do with the DSLR because you have a definite LAG with the superzooms oppose to the DSLR which is Instant. That is important on moving subjects like Wildlife. Yes, the P90 did good with the football game, but those were 1.5 MB whereas I need at least 12.1 to blow them up for big prints. I will be selling photos at flea markets & farmers markets.

Last edited by jack55; Jul 23, 2009 at 5:38 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:03 PM   #569

So here are a few shots from my honeymoon!

And one of the strangest places we stopped at....

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 1:51 AM   #570

Congrats on the Honeymoon!