Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 30, 2009, 2:42 PM   #581

All-in-all would the P90 owners out there say you are still happy with your P90? ..any regrets?

I realize it's not a DSLR (nor are any of the other megazooms) so I understand this. The P90 and Pentax X70 were dissed in many reviews but then just raved about in others. Steve seemed to love both cameras and the sample pictures I thought looked great (X70 better I thought). I've read that these cameras don't do well in low let but the portrait, indoor shots Steve took I think look amazing. I realize it has to do with the person behind the camera too... all of this research is bringing me down!

I'm still researching what I'd like to get.. the new Panasonic FZ35 will be coming out in Sep but I don't really want to wait that long (not that I won't... however it is only a x18 zoom but takes amazing pix... so they say)... and I've still had my eye on the Pentax X70. I still don't want to pay $400+ and the P90 and X70 are both going down in price.

This thread is so awesome but I have read that the X70 has better image quality...? Maybe it's all subjective? My head is reeling from the pro 'reviews' out there.

I only have 1 other P&S that my wife uses - it's a 8.1 mp and works well but I want that zoom and a better camera (just not the DSLR expense step) to get creative with and have fun! I want to have fun taking pictures again!!....

I did finally have an opportunity to play with a P90 at Best Buy..seems the teenager found the power cord ! I liked the feel and the controls were in good areas (aperture, etc). It was really kind of dark, dreary and florescenty in the store so .. I just don't think it's the same in a store. I tried sports (taking pix of some person walking) and that was really cool - I had never used this with a digicam until then. I didn't change any ISO settings... just used auto also... and the flash (which made the pix look better).

It's a shame because this is probably the only megazoom I'll be able to touch except for a Canon!!

Ok... I'll stop whinnning !!!!!!! I just need to bite the bullet and make a darn decision!! I just don't want to have any regrets!!
vampirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:24 AM   #582

Just wondering whoever post pictures please post the settings you used so you can help us NOOBS. I have no clue how to run this camera or what settings to use. If there is a certain page out of the 59 of them. Please point it out to help me out. I want to learn more but just not quite there.
scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:32 AM   #583

scubie instead of waiting for us, or getting frustrated if we forget...a good way to do that is to go to flickr.com

you can search for photos taken with the nikon p-90

go here
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/coolpix_p90/

once you find a picture you like, look along the right hand side (probably the last thing in that column) under "additional information" Chances are (if the account holder chooses) there probably will be an option or more properties. this will show all the settings.
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:49 AM   #584

Thank you so much Icebluess
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:53 AM   #585

No prob
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:00 AM   #586

Do you leave all your settings default?

Also do you use scenes or get in there adjust stuff?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:31 AM   #587

Are you getting poor pictures? Or is there a photo youre trying to mimic?
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:13 PM   #588

As for me, I am trying to learn like everyone else. I just don't get it, but i suppose it will come in time
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:48 PM   #589

This is one thing that I know I'll struggle with as well... but will look at it as a challenge. I only hope that auto mode will be sufficient for use when my wife decides to take a shot or two

I really do think now I will be purchasing a P90 very soon...

Hey... what's the slowest shutter speed for the P90?

Last edited by vampirefish; Jul 31, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
vampirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:50 PM   #590

I think 8 seconds... Maybe 6.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote