Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:22 AM   #51

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jack-

As you know, I am indeed a Digital Camera Instructor, so I have lots of cameras. Your P-90 photos are impressive. Just like the P-80, it looks like the P-90 does well at low ISO settings. Where the rubber meets the road is when you increase the ISO, particularly above ISO 400.

Yes, I also have 6 DSLR's as well as the digicams, as I also teach DSLR seminars. But, to tell the truth, Jack, I love super zoom cameras. So, I will follow this Nikon P-90 thread, at least for awhile. We head for a cruise ship in South America on the 10th.

Sarah Joyce
Well as you are a master photographer and instructor, I think you will agree with me that it is more the person behind the camera than the camera itself on the quality of the photo's. Mostly knowing how to use the camera and the proper settings, lighting and lastly, the darkroom/photoshop. Am I correct?

I forgot to add that composition is pretty important too... goes hand in hand with proper lighting...

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:35 AM   #52

New member here, currently trying to decide whether to buy P90 vs. Canon IS10 vs. Oly 590. Mostly posting to thank all of you for your insights, which have been extremely helpful.

Top priority use for the new camera would be wildlife and scenic shots on dayhikes in Yellowstone. Besides the ultrazoom lenses, I'm eager to have control over aperture and shutter speed as well as a viewfinder for shooting in very bright light.

Have a couple of specific questions about the P90 for anyone who'd like to reply:

I like the way you can tilt the display, but does the mechanism seem sturdy? It would suck to have it break!

I notice some of you found that the IS seems to be more effective on the P90 vs the Oly 590, any theories as to why this might be so?

I've read that when some lenses/cameras are mounted on a tripod, the IS system may try to correct for vibration that isn't really there and end up blurring rather than improving the image. Does anyone know if this might affect the P90, or does its IS operate in a different way so that this would not be a factor?

Thanks in advance -- Appreciate the great discussion and terrific images.
GeoffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:38 AM   #53

Well, as far as I am concerned the name of the game is FUN,FUN FUN. If One enjoys the Camera of choice, is comfortable with it, and takes the Pictures he/she are happy with THATS all that counts.

I too have 6 Digital cameras, mostly Fuji, but have to say i am really enjoying this P90. Weather is preventing some outdoor shooting and Field Testing.

Richard

RichardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:38 AM   #54

Well, as far as I am concerned the name of the game is FUN, and learning.. If One enjoys the Camera of choice, is comfortable with it, and takes the Pictures he/she are happy with THATS all that counts.

I too have 6 Digital cameras, mostly Fuji, but have to say i am really enjoying this P90.

NOW!! LOL, can someone PLEASE tell me how to get to the Continuous "area' of the menue. Page 119 of the manual. ???

Im hitting all around it but cant get there, should not have had that last drinki, Ha ha. Im Looking to get to the BSS and related screen, I know its in the sports menue, but just not finding the right area.

Help appreciated. With My upcomming trip pending my mind is not with it.

Richard.

Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:40 AM   #55

Richard
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:28 AM   #56

GeoffK wrote:
Quote:
New member here, currently trying to decide whether to buy P90 vs. Canon IS10 vs. Oly 590. Mostly posting to thank all of you for your insights, which have been extremely helpful.
I think Richard has tried the Oly and didn't like it as well. I did too at Best Buy. No comparison between the Nikon and Oly. Nikon was much better for me.

Top priority use for the new camera would be wildlife and scenic shots on dayhikes in Yellowstone. Besides the ultrazoom lenses, I'm eager to have control over aperture and shutter speed as well as a viewfinder for shooting in very bright light.
This Nikon P90 is perfect for that with it's excellent long zoom. There are lot's of adjustments you can make in P, S,A & manual modes.

Have a couple of specific questions about the P90 for anyone who'd like to reply:

I like the way you can tilt the display, but does the mechanism seem sturdy? It would oops to have it break!
I had the Sony H-50 for the past year before getting this Nikon P90 and the Sony has virtually the same tilting LCD. It was very sturdy and had no problems. The Nikon seems to be the same. I'm not worried about it at all.

I notice some of you found that the IS seems to be more effective on the P90 vs the Oly 590, any theories as to why this might be so?
Maybe because Nikon is better made? The Oly seemed a lot slower too.

I've read that when some lenses/cameras are mounted on a tripod, the IS system may try to correct for vibration that isn't really there and end up blurring rather than improving the image. Does anyone know if this might affect the P90, or does its IS operate in a different way so that this would not be a factor?
All the camera makers tell you the same thing, to turn off the IS when on a tripod. I've forgotten to turn mine off a few times on other cameras and really didn't notice any difference.

Thanks in advance -- Appreciate the great discussion and terrific images.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:05 AM   #57

RichardK wrote:
Quote:
NOW!! LOL, can someone PLEASE tell me how to get to the Continuous "area' of the menue. Page 119 of the manual. ???

Richard.
Push "menu" button, then in the green P, Push >, then scroll down to where you see "Metering", keep scrolling to the next screen, "Continuous" is at the top, push > and see your options and set it.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:09 PM   #58

Thank You Jack, the reason it would not allow me into metering and Cont.,was, I had another setting in U2/U1 set ,so in effect blocking other settings. Once i cancelled that I was able to change things. That is the only frustrating thing I have found with Nikon, one really has to study the manual and ask Questions.:?

With Fuji The menu was very simple and learnable in a short period.

When One hits 70, concentration gets a little harder. TG for people like you.:-).

NOW!!! where the heck did i put my little blue pills.:lol:

Richard.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 2:32 PM   #59

RichardK wrote:
Quote:
That is the only frustrating thing I have found with Nikon, one really has to study the manual and ask Questions.:?

Richard.
Let me give you a tip. Every camera I've owned, (I've had many since 1965) every 0ne of them was different as well as the manuals. Yes, some are easier to learn and use than others, but once you sit down and read the manual with the camera in front of you, (yes you should and most folks don't, so they shouldn't complain). Once you do that and use the camera a few times, it will become second nature for you.

I AWAYS do this with every camera I've ever used. Works for me. :|
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:33 PM   #60

Jack -- Thanks for your quick reply. Your assessment of the tilt mechanism for the display was especially helpful.

I think when I get the camera (leaning strongly toward the P90 but probably won't actually make the purchase for a few more weeks) I'll try a few comparison shots on a tripod with the IS on vs off.

Again thanks -- And good job on the flower shots, you gave the P90 a nice workout with them.
GeoffK is offline   Reply With Quote