Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:49 PM   #591

the slowest shutter speed is 8 seconds.....

Also I have learn that the default setting under the menu I would not change. Some help some settings may hurt.

I just started getting into the camera and I use the P M A S settings.

The only thing I would recommed then putting anything in this forum which does help is since it's a digital camera go take hundreds of photos and see what shutter speeds and different aperture does for you.

Help this helps.

Also ready the owners manual it will kinda help where to find stuff.. but unable to help with what you should select

I noticed with the Auto modes they usually do good but about 50% time they fail me. I am still willing to try them but if they fail I will try the other settings.
scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:46 AM   #592

Well.. I took the plunge and bought a P90!! Picked it up today and have only messed with it a bit. Sports mode is so cool! I was at my friends apt and took some continuos shots of a couple walking by- how cool! Tried the macro and of course zoom. I can already tell that 'P' will be my friend . Can't wait to upload pix (once I accumulate more) to really see them! So far I am like a kid in a candy shop!! I'll post pix soon! Thx everyone for your contributions to this thread!!
vampirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 8:23 AM   #593

Finally got to a night game to test out the zoom when the sun was nowhere to be seen. In general, the shots came out grainy in comparison to daylight, but in saying that, the camera was hand held was only using the night mode in scenes. Im sure there are better ways to take them but Im stilling playing around. Here are two shots, First is no zoom, second is with zoom. If you look carefully, you can see the yellow caravan amongst the crowd that I have zoomed in on.

Name:  resize1.JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  resize2.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  84.3 KB
backofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:30 PM   #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
Anyone elses P90 do the ticking thing mentioned in my earlier post? Thanks!

Hi everyone! New to the site but I've been reading on everyones experience and I too had the ticking problem and it bothered me so much
Esp since it ticks the moment I turned it on, that i returned it. I started to look at other cameras (sony Hx1, canon g10, and sony h20) but it didnt have the same feel as the p90 so I ended up looking at the P90 @ various locations and different stores and they all ticked! I've even called nikon and the lady said there should be 'no ticking' so either she didnt hear it (since most people didnt notice it until i pointed it out) or she thought i had a defectinve one and return it.

after asking around various sales people and googling it, it came down to it being a part of the camera.. so i went to best buy and the guy seemed to fix the ticking and its on sale so went ahead to re-purchase the p90 but lo and behold once i got home and did whatever that guy did the ticking wouldnt go away... i've accepted the ticking is part of the camera and thus nicknamed the camera "my little bomber" but other than that I absolutely love the camera and greatly enjoyed everyones comments and photos!

so unless i'm the only crazy one with the tick or if there is a way to turn it off please post- but other than that my camera searching has come to an end.... for now
poiesaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:35 PM   #595

I've had my Nikon P90 for about 3 weeks and I'm absolutely in love with it. I do have a question though...

Is there anyway to take "widescreen shots"? There's a setting for it on my friends Canon, and I'd love to take some like that....

An example would be a picture like this one: (taken with my friend's Canon)

Any help would be great!
schwingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:46 PM   #596

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwingaway View Post
I've had my Nikon P90 for about 3 weeks and I'm absolutely in love with it. I do have a question though...

Is there anyway to take "widescreen shots"? There's a setting for it on my friends Canon, and I'd love to take some like that....

An example would be a picture like this one: (taken with my friend's Canon)

Any help would be great!

Yes its called the panorma... It's kinda like widescreen
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:13 PM   #597

Hmm...well, I knew about Panorama...I just wondered if there was an easier/less time consuming way.
schwingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:09 PM   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwingaway View Post
Hmm...well, I knew about Panorama...I just wondered if there was an easier/less time consuming way.
The only other way I can think of is to take the picture farther back then crop the picture into a widescreen. Otherwise I don't think there is a way.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:41 AM   #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefish View Post
All-in-all would the P90 owners out there say you are still happy with your P90? ..any regrets?

I realize it's not a DSLR (nor are any of the other megazooms) so I understand this. The P90 and Pentax X70 were dissed in many reviews but then just raved about in others. Steve seemed to love both cameras and the sample pictures I thought looked great (X70 better I thought). I've read that these cameras don't do well in low let but the portrait, indoor shots Steve took I think look amazing. I realize it has to do with the person behind the camera too... all of this research is bringing me down!

I'm still researching what I'd like to get.. the new Panasonic FZ35 will be coming out in Sep but I don't really want to wait that long (not that I won't... however it is only a x18 zoom but takes amazing pix... so they say)... and I've still had my eye on the Pentax X70. I still don't want to pay $400+ and the P90 and X70 are both going down in price.

This thread is so awesome but I have read that the X70 has better image quality...? Maybe it's all subjective? My head is reeling from the pro 'reviews' out there.

I only have 1 other P&S that my wife uses - it's a 8.1 mp and works well but I want that zoom and a better camera (just not the DSLR expense step) to get creative with and have fun! I want to have fun taking pictures again!!....

I did finally have an opportunity to play with a P90 at Best Buy..seems the teenager found the power cord ! I liked the feel and the controls were in good areas (aperture, etc). It was really kind of dark, dreary and florescenty in the store so .. I just don't think it's the same in a store. I tried sports (taking pix of some person walking) and that was really cool - I had never used this with a digicam until then. I didn't change any ISO settings... just used auto also... and the flash (which made the pix look better).

It's a shame because this is probably the only megazoom I'll be able to touch except for a Canon!!

Ok... I'll stop whinnning !!!!!!! I just need to bite the bullet and make a darn decision!! I just don't want to have any regrets!!
I still think short of getting a advance dSLR, this Nikon P90 is the best point and shoot out there. It is even better than some of the beginner dSLR's out there too. When you learn to use some of the controls, you will get great pictures. I feel this is the "advance superzoom" that may not suit some people who just want to "point & shoot". The Nikon P90 is a very advance camera.

As for the "Pro" reveiws... these threads here were meant for the "hands on" users that actually use the camera day to day. Not in a controlled invironment as those Pro Reviews.

I hope this helps.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:00 AM   #600

Hello all, this is my first message in this forum. Got mine since april, and must say that it's a great machine. As stated already here, one just needs to stay away from full auto and use PSAM instead. This is no standard P&S camera.

The P90 has a cool 3968x2232 16/9 mode that might be of some interest to widescreen lovers. No need for panorama assist, of course.

These are a few pics I took in Italy a few days ago, hope you like them.
Attached Images

Squalo Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote