Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:56 AM   #601

And there goes my best moon so far, taken from the same spot, black and white this time.
Attached Images

Squalo Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:04 PM   #602

Finally have some pix.... still need a tripod though (my OLD one bit the dust years ago)... any suggestions on a cheaper, good quality tripod? I would like one that is adjustable (height) and maybe even one of those gorilla ones (not sure that's what they are called).. but they are smaller and you can place them on uneven ground.. I think that would be cool.

1st: 1st day I got the camera -messing with depth of field. I understand the settings more now.
2nd: Charlie the Wiener Dog captured in his natural habitat - lucky shot!
3rd: Inside w/flash - pix of a poster
4th: Moon (duh).. without tripod... really need one. Could have gotten closer but the other shots were too blurry.

I LOVE THIS CAMERA
Attached Images

vampirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:10 PM   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo Bianco View Post
And there goes my best moon so far, taken from the same spot, black and white this time.
Hey... thx for this idea... I didn't even think to shoot in B&W. When I was reviewing my shots I didn't mind the yellowing but was thinking I should edit it in my digital lab.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 3:05 PM   #604

Some questions for everyone:

1. Do you typically have noise reduction set to on or auto?
2. What about distortion control - on or off (default)...?
3. How do you change the brightness level of the LCD?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:28 AM   #605

Hello vampirefish.

Tripod: I use a cheap, small Kaiser. It does the job, is adjustable in many ways and you can use it on the most uneven of grounds.

Black and white: moon was so blue-ish due to wrong white balance settings that I had to edit it. The result is quite decent I think, I still can't believe one can get moons like that with a 350€ camera.

Noise reduction: usually off, it's slow. Doesn't hurt to have it though, I use it from time to time.

Distortion control: doesn't control too much really. Yet again, it's cool to have it and I have it on.

Brightness: set up --> monitor settings

Last edited by Squalo Bianco; Aug 5, 2009 at 8:37 AM.
Squalo Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:50 AM   #606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo Bianco View Post
Hello vampirefish.

Tripod: I use a cheap, small Kaiser. It does the job, is adjustable in many ways and you can use it on the most uneven of grounds.

Black and white: moon was so blue-ish due to wrong white balance settings that I had to edit it. The result is quite decent I think, I still can't believe one can get moons like that with a 350 camera.

Noise reduction: usually off, it's slow. Doesn't hurt to have it though, I use it from time to time.

Distortion control: doesn't control too much really. Yet again, it's cool to have it and I have it on.

Brightness: set up --> monitor settings
Great moon shots. Any chance you remember the settings you used to get these. Ive been playing around the last few nights and keep getting a white blur. Any help would be appreciated.
backofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:53 AM   #607

Quote:
I still can't believe one can get moons like that with a 350€ camera.
i know, right? I carry my camera around with me at all times, but last night i forgot it. I work overnights at a hospital. I was in a patients room and looked out the window and it was a full mooon. I was so bummed that i didnt have it. i had been waiting to see what a full moon looks like with this.

i put my photos on flickr and there is "groups" on there you can join. one of them i am in is where you post current moon shots. so moons taken within the last 3 days. its a fun group because when people follow the rules and only post current moons, you can see how everyones is the same no matter where they are and watch them change over days.
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:07 AM   #608

its been a few days since i posted. these are from last saturday at our family reunion

A few of my cousins

My sisters family and my grandparents. Some post photo editing was done because there were people behind my grandfathers head in the background. It was fairly easy to take em out.

My son took this because he went on the hayride and i didnt want to go. I thought it had some interesting lines and angle to it

This mom made him hold the 2 liter bottle over his head while the other kids dumped water. He loved it... the second picture, his brother, not so much

I almost wanted to play with the color on this one but I didn't

And just because my son is forever a ham, here he is floating on the lake in an elephant pool

icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:23 AM   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebluess View Post
its been a few days since i posted. these are from last saturday at our family reunion
icebluess... I love your pix... my favs are #1,3,5 (I'm drawn toward the more photo journalistic shots)! But all of them are great...! I can't wait to use my camera more and more.

Are you feeling any better about low light/indoor shots? Just curious as this is also a concern of mine (for all megazooms). I will be going to a familiy bbq this weekend but most of it will be outdoors ... however it should run into dusk/evening... so I can really play around then. Ideally I think I should mess with settings first and maybe save a user setting that seems to work best.... of course one can only prepare for an environment!!

Can't wait to see shots of your son in sports and I can't wait for mine as well! I can't nearly stand it... I actually should be able to get some in a week or so when a scrimmage game will take place.

Also thx for the info on the P90 group.. I'll check it out. I really need a tripod to get a great moon shot though.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 2:06 PM   #610

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthehill View Post
Great moon shots. Any chance you remember the settings you used to get these. Ive been playing around the last few nights and keep getting a white blur. Any help would be appreciated.

Use M (Manual), I tried different exposure times and I finally used 1/100, F-number = f/5.6 (I tried f/4.5 as well and it was pretty good) and the ISO was 100, Focal length was 110mm. Hope that helps

And for the white blur, when you zoom in, wait for the light to fade before you press the button halfway down for focus. It takes 1-2 seconds to show you the yellowish color.
jai.bansal is offline   Reply With Quote