Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:55 PM   #611

backofthehill - The way I take moon shots: tripod, lowest possible F @ full optizoom (5 on the P90), iso between 64-100 (= way more sharpness), manual focus (this may be tricky the first time, but I have never been able to autofocus the moon with this camera), stabilizer off. Just to make sure the camera is absolutely still, I also set a 2 sec self timer for every shot.

Then you just need to try exposure times like jai.bansal said, until you get it right (this depends on how well lit is the moon itself). Good luck!

icebluess - fortunately for us moonmaniacs, 'She' isn't going anywhere anytime soon, you will have more and likely better chances. This reminds me that there should be a big, almost full moon tonight here in Spain. Beautiful pictures, by the way, that little thing sitting on the chair looks charming. The flickr group thing sounds interesting, for 'She' is good at putting cameras to the test! I shall take a look and see how well does our lovely P90 against other megazooms and SLRs.

Edit: I just saw the first 10 pages (http://www.flickr.com/groups/lune/) and I say my P90 moon holds its ground!

Last edited by Squalo Bianco; Aug 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM.
Squalo Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:08 PM   #612

Quote:
Are you feeling any better about low light/indoor shots?
No, I am not. But I should mention I have a inability to read instruction manuals. So I suppose if I tried to learn a bit more by reading I would do better, but I am downright lazy when it comes to instructions I just want to touch and go. hehe.

There seemed to be a almost full moon tonight too. I didnt have my tripod with me so I was just doing this by holding it... but i did manage to get this... im sad that I didnt get my usual crater shots, but maybe you cant when its a full moon?
icebluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:13 AM   #613

As of now we all have seen many very great pictures.

One thing I ask from a beginner to the experts tell us how you got the picture?

Did you use the manual mode aperture mode shutter mode? or just go with auto?

Did you know to mess with ISO or just leave it auto?

Anything that you thought of between seeing what you wanted to take picture to the end result would be great to help us out(if you have the time to do so).
scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:55 AM   #614

hmmm... ok, so heres a wierd thing about the above conversation about the indoor low light pics...
there is a flickr group called infinite flickr where you take a picture of yourself with the person who took a picture of themselve, who took a picture of themselve of the person before them etc. etc. etc.

so i thought i would try it. it was just a few minutes ago. this was indoors. just automatic. held the camera away from me. didnt do any photoshop editing except crop. and really it doesnt seem that bad for a indoor picture. or at least not as bad as i thought they were when i first got it. i took like a million pictures trying to get this with my face and the computer screen (short arms suck for self portraits) but they all came out fairly ok.

Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:52 PM   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebluess View Post
hmmm... ok, so heres a wierd thing about the above conversation about the indoor low light pics...
there is a flickr group called infinite flickr where you take a picture of yourself with the person who took a picture of themselve, who took a picture of themselve of the person before them etc. etc. etc.

so i thought i would try it. it was just a few minutes ago. this was indoors. just automatic. held the camera away from me. didnt do any photoshop editing except crop. and really it doesnt seem that bad for a indoor picture. or at least not as bad as i thought they were when i first got it. i took like a million pictures trying to get this with my face and the computer screen (short arms suck for self portraits) but they all came out fairly ok.

I think this is a GREAT pix of you and don't see any problems with low light.. granted it's kind of close so the flash works well. But this is interesting as I took some indoor shots (the first day I bought the camera) - just randomly of my downstairs area. I only had a rope light and a couple low-light lamps on (please note that it appears the upper florescent lights are on in 1 pix.. but this is not true - the cover we use is a chrome-like/plastic that is very shiny so I think the flash made it lighter). I think these turned out well considering the bashing the camera has received. Camera was set to P and at auto ISO (so not even sure what ISO each was captured at). Also, I recalled in this thread that mtclimber said to NOT use auto if at all possible (especially for indoor/low light).

My pix display noise but I think if I really tweaked with the ISO settings, some of it may be cleaned up...also, the pix are not unusable! I'll have to take more shots to find out, but so far I'm kind of embarrassed that I got all caught up in the hype of reviewers that don't tweak settings but push the button in Auto and then compare shots! I mean, I know there has to be a baseline... but talk about taking this all with a grain of salt.
Attached Images

vampirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:14 PM   #616

Some more handheld moon shots (i'm jonsen' for a tripod )
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:58 PM   #617

that is is awesome basement! i want one just like it!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:09 PM   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebluess View Post
that is is awesome basement! i want one just like it!
Thanks! Yeah.. it's a little retro but we like it that way .. most of our friends think we're crazy!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:01 PM   #619

nah, not at all. I would love to have it! I was just tanning (which is in the same building as a video store) and i saw they have the lifesize cut out of captian jack sparrow for sale. $30.00. I would love to have that and put it in a room like yours.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:35 PM   #620

Ok this might be int he previous posts.. but ima ask it again.. I was wondering how do you take pictures and have the background blurred. I've used A(perture) adn then set my F thingy to the lowest. and when i took pictures of people it still wouldnt have the background blurred.

Oh Please someone help me

ThankYou,
Vincentp916
vincentp916 is offline   Reply With Quote