Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:20 PM   #621

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentp916 View Post
Ok this might be int he previous posts.. but ima ask it again.. I was wondering how do you take pictures and have the background blurred. I've used A(perture) adn then set my F thingy to the lowest. and when i took pictures of people it still wouldnt have the background blurred.

Oh Please someone help me

ThankYou,
Vincentp916
When you're trying to manipulate depth of field (blur the background), you adjust a lens's aperture: bigger iris opening (smaller f-stop number) yields a shallower field and tends to blur background (and foreground), a smaller aperture (larger number) yields a deeper field.

You can use the Aperture or Manual mode to do this. You can do it in P or shutter mode too using the dial to adjust the aperture where you want it.
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:10 AM   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
When you're trying to manipulate depth of field (blur the background), you adjust a lens's aperture: bigger iris opening (smaller f-stop number) yields a shallower field and tends to blur background (and foreground), a smaller aperture (larger number) yields a deeper field.

You can use the Aperture or Manual mode to do this. You can do it in P or shutter mode too using the dial to adjust the aperture where you want it.
Ok. so i did what you said, but it still didnt make the background blur... im confused. but if i take close shots of flowers the background does blur.. Would my regular pictures of people for example a family portrait have their background blurred like the picture below? i dont understand this.. I'm sorry but im new to this haha. ;9

Thank You,
Vincentp916
Attached Images

vincentp916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:11 AM   #623

At that tree...

All this @ http://www.flickr.com/norazwan97

Last edited by norazwan97; Aug 8, 2009 at 5:23 AM.
norazwan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:18 AM   #624

Coconut Oil Palm Tree @ My Hometown.... With the blue sky...

Hi Jack55.....what do you think??

Last edited by norazwan97; Aug 8, 2009 at 1:23 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:32 AM   #625

Estuary of Sg Ayam River @ My Hometown...

Is it nice?? I love this pics....

Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:32 AM   #626

Quote:
Ok. so i did what you said, but it still didnt make the background blur... im confused. but if i take close shots of flowers the background does blur.. Would my regular pictures of people for example a family portrait have their background blurred like the picture below? i dont understand this.. I'm sorry but im new to this haha. ;9

Thank You,
Vincentp916
Pull up your P90 manual. Look up manual focus. Play with that and set it to the extreme. I believe this will help
scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 2:20 AM   #627

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
Pull up your P90 manual. Look up manual focus. Play with that and set it to the extreme. I believe this will help
I also did what you said... it still didnt work. i was messing around with it and it only made the whole picture blurry, not the background only.. aiyyyyaaaa this confuses me. please help ;9

Thank You,
Vincentp916
Old Aug 8, 2009, 2:23 AM   #628

Quote:
I also did what you said... it still didnt work. i was messing around with it and it only made the whole picture blurry, not the background only.. aiyyyyaaaa this confuses me. please help ;9

Thank You,
Vincentp916
One other step you can try if you have photoshop / or photoshop elements is to use the "Smart blur" it tries to blur from front to back. It's not a true blur but the more I use photoshop elements it amazes me how well that works on photos.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 2:32 AM   #629

Yeah i know that too. but like i wanted to know how to do it with the camera haha ;9
Old Aug 8, 2009, 3:12 AM   #630

Quote:
Yeah i know that too. but like i wanted to know how to do it with the camera haha ;9
I wish I could give you the answer you want because I want pictures like that too.

For you to get that from what research I have seen the point and shoot cameras do not have enough options to support this. Like I said setting focus is the best thing. There is really no good "Natural" way to do it.