Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:16 AM   #661

I'm planning on buying a tripod in a few hours now... any suggestions?
ashwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:27 AM   #662

I read a few posts where people ask how to resize their images, this is what I use...

For vista users...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phototoysclone/

Once you install this app it you can resize your pics to 1024*768 or 800*600 or 640*480 or 320*240 by just right-clicking the picture Icon and selecting the resize option... check out the attached image

Its really handy :-)

...for XP users just google "resize powertoy xp" and you should get a similar add-on.

Hope I'm of help to someone

Cheers
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:47 AM   #663

Hi guys, I made this post on another thread but would like to get your opinion on it as well

"I have been looking at buying a superzoom camera for a couple of weeks now and have had a look at a couple of them in the shops. Unfortunately you can't really compare image quality between cameras in the shop. At the moment there are two models I'm considering on my budget, they are the Pany DMC-FZ38(FZ35 in US) and the Nikon P90. There are pros and cons to both but the most important thing for me is picture quality.

I love the zoom on the Nikon P90! and I really hoped that Panasonic would boost the zoom when they brought out the FZ38 but they didn't The other thing is that the Pany can take HD movies and RAW format photos. Now, being a complete noob I don't really know what RAW photos are but only that everyone on every forum thinks they are good and I suppose that when I get around to learning all this stuff I don't want to be disappointed by not having it. The P90 also doesn't have a live histogram, like I said before, being a noob I don't yet know what it does but know that having it is good in some way.

The big thing for me again is picture quality and that's what I don't really know. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can put this into perspective for me, FZ38 vs P90 on image quality"
Dragonfly_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:27 AM   #664

Guys I've bought a Sony VCT-R640 Tripod... anyone used this? any suggestions?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:54 AM   #665

Dragonfly, it will be easier to get good pictures with the Panasonic. I have tested the FZ28 and it's a very good camera. Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, Kodak Sony and course Canon also make superzooms, check them out. Most of them are cheaper than the expensive Nikon.

The P90 is a tricky one, you will need to squeeze its capabilities, get used to it and walk the PSAM ways (which is essential for a photographer anyway). If you don't, it will disappoint you. Its full auto mode is one the worst I ever saw. Besides, the ENEL5 battery is anemic and you really can't do anything beyond iso 400.

All that said, when you get the hang of it, you will learn that it's a formidable device, and its swivel screen unbelievably useful.

Everyone, have you noticed how a lot people are getting themselves superzooms and expect them to perform like dSLRs, only because of the way they look? These cameras are basically 'manualized' point&shooters attached to -incredibly- long range lenses. Ah, the marketing...

And a few pics. The amount of detail captured from that oddly shaped tree trunk is insane, you should see the real size pic. The ship shows the glorious full zoom. And the bee, although a bit underexposed, looks good I think.
Attached Images

Squalo Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:25 AM   #666

Default Something to Consider

Squalo has made some very excellent points that perhaps need a bit of emphasis-

The Nikon P-90 does not do its best when shot in the full automatic mode. It is capable of a lot more, if your are willing to learn the photo craft and to use at least the "P" or Programed Auto Mode. The "P" mode works just like full auto, but when in the "P" mode, you can make multiple adjustments that will substantially improve your photos.

As Squalo's photos nicely prove that when you understand light and color, your photos will improve a lot. If you would like to discuss and understand light that would be the first step and I will be happy to help as my time allows. After all, I teach this subject. Just let me know.

Since we are discussing color and light, here is a good sample photo.

Ashwin-

You made a good choice on the tripod. That tripod will really help with night photos and whenever you have very low shutter speeds.

Have a wonderful day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: To add a photo
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:43 AM   #667

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norazwan97/3839971180/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norazwan97/3837177696/
norazwan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:47 AM   #668

Thanks for the advise guys, as a complete noob you are very seldom told what effect things like light, colour etc make to image quality and just simply that this camera is crap and that one isn't and not why..

Do you guys know if Nikon are planning to release updated firmware for the P90 soon?
Dragonfly_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:47 AM   #669

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norazwan97/3830718174/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norazwan97/3832959268/
norazwan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:11 PM   #670

Thank you Sarah...

I need some help... I have attached 2 pics with this.. I was playing around with the controls and the 1st pic I wanted to focus on my friend and leave the background out of focus and as per your old posts I set the aperture setting to 4.5 and got that :-)

The second pic was taken with flash... the skin tones are totally unnatural... Could you let me know how to correct that?

Thanks a lot in advance.. if anyone has any pointers I'd be grateful!!!

Have a gr8 day

Ashwin
Attached Images