Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:19 PM   #671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
Thank you Sarah...

I need some help... I have attached 2 pics with this.. I was playing around with the controls and the 1st pic I wanted to focus on my friend and leave the background out of focus and as per your old posts I set the aperture setting to 4.5 and got that :-)

The second pic was taken with flash... the skin tones are totally unnatural... Could you let me know how to correct that?

Thanks a lot in advance.. if anyone has any pointers I'd be grateful!!!

Have a gr8 day

Ashwin

Check out page 44 of the manual. Seems to me you'd need to use a diffuser and "Slow sync" flash. A diffuser can easily be made from just about anything colored white. IE - a business card, table napkin, etc. I made one from an empty pill bottle with the top and bottom cut off. This is what it looks like mounted

The pill bottle diffuser mounted on the Oly SP570UZ
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:35 PM   #672

Default External Flash

Ashwin-

The first photo worked fine. Keep in mind that using a larger aperture (F 4.5 and wider-meaning smaller numbers) will separate your subject from the background.

In the second photo the varying distances the person are from the camera to their position will shift or change the amount of light that falls on them. In other words, the person farthest back from the camera gets the least light, while the person closest to the camera, and thus the flash unit receives the most light. The amount of light received by each person will cause a difference in facial color tone of each person as is seen in the resulting photo. The logical question is how do you overcome this problem when photographing a group of people? If you had a powerful external flash you could use bounce flash and get very even lighting and better facial color tones throughout the group.

But the problem is that the Nikon P-90 does not have a hot shoe, does that rule out an external flash? No, it does not. A slave flash with a moveable flash head could provide the help you need. A slave flash is fired optically, meaning that when the P-90's built-in flash fires, the slave flash fires as well. The two flashes are in synchronization due the speed of light which is very, very, fast.

In the attached photo you will see the Canon SX-10 and its external flash on the left and the Kodak Z-980 camera with its external flash. Notice that the two flash heads are adjusted to a different tilt angle. When you use external flash you need more flash power because you are bouncing it off a white ceiling.

A flash diffuser such as Gary has suggested will work only on close up subjects, it will not work with a group.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 20, 2009 at 1:53 PM. Reason: to add the photo
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:52 PM   #673

Default External Flash for the Nikon P-90 Camera

OK-

Here we go continuing our discussion of external flashes for the Nikon P-90 camera. In the attached photo you will see my Nikon P-8o with the flash bracket and the Digislave 3000 Slave Flash.

Because we need more flash power, to use bounce flash, that is why you might need an external unit when photographing a large group or to even out the flash lighting over a larger area.

I chose the Kodak Z-980, the kissing cousin to the P-90 because it had a hot shoe and a dedicated TTL External Flash unit. I also use DSLR cameras as well as super zoom cameras. I choose to match the camera to the photo task.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM. Reason: to add a photo
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:14 PM   #674

Default What a Bounced External Flash Photo looks Like

OK-

Here is the final post on this discussion-

The attached photo shows you what a bounced flash using an external flash looks like. Note: the the lighting is very even. The facial skin color tones look natural and correct.

Note also: you only use a bounced external flash when you need:

(1) Great flash range
(2) When photographing a group
(3) When the subjects in your photo are at variable distance from the camera
(4) When you want to get rid of the harsh shadows created by raw, direct flash

So this is a way of extending your P-90 camera's usefulness.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2009, 5:43 PM   #675

First Off.. Thanks to both gjtoth and Sarah for your help...

gjtoth-

I tried taking a few pics with normal flash and using a business card in front... but its 2.45AM here and I don't have any other subject other than my dog Fido who is really not interested in being disturbed right now :-) So I will check it out with a few friends of mine tomorrow eve and post pics...

Sarah-

As for the slave flash... how much does it cost?

Finding accessories is a pain here... I had to search at lot of places before I found a store having tripods today...or was it yesterday?? :S lol its 2.45 AM

I am yet to find a store carrying a replacement battery for the P90 :-(

I have just spent all my money on a w270,p90 and a tripod :-) so can't really buy something expensive :-(

anyway... I keep comparing the w270 with the p90.. take the same pics with both.. I believe once I have got the hang of the P90 I should be taking better pics with it...shouldn't i?
Right now I feel my pictures are a little soft... Not sharp enough... sorry if I'm sounding dumb, If it will help, I'll take two pics of a friend... one on the cybershot w270 on iauto mode and another on the p90 pmode with the relevant settings.... The cybershot has a weaker flash and still gets me sharper images... any idea what I'm doing wrong... once again I apologize if I sound vague... Thanks again for your help...

Have a great day ahead :-)

Cheers
Ashwin

Last edited by ashwin; Aug 20, 2009 at 5:46 PM.
ashwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:36 PM   #676

Ashwin-

Increase the sharpness in the menu as your first step.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:55 PM   #677

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Ashwin-

Increase the sharpness in the menu as your first step.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the quick reply... I don't see any sharpness option...

btw... do you have any idea how much a slave flash costs approximately?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:36 PM   #678

Hi Ashwin-

That DigiSlave 3000 Flash sells for about $(US) 110.00. And yes, you are indeed correct. I went through the P-80 Menu and did not find any sharpening. That means that any sharpening has to happen in post processing.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 20, 2009 at 7:55 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:49 PM   #679

OMG!!! Thats 5500INR... Thats what I have left for the month
...maybe next month then :-)

Just to confirm... I need to ask for a slave flash right... Is there anything I need to check before buying it?

Thanks a lot for your time and patience Sarah

Have a nice day... Its dawn here, am going to sleep :-)
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:14 PM   #680

Ashwin-

You will have to specially ask for the DigiSlave 3000 model. There are lots of slave flashes out there that are quite weak and are pure junk. If you cannot find it, just let me know. Perhaps I can ship it to you. I have one more teaching contract to complete between 10 September and 26 September, then I will be home for awhile. So just let me know. Please get some sleep!

Sarah Joyce