Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 24, 2009, 5:58 AM   #711

Ashwin, some of your pictures are great, but they certainly look washed out. About contrast, quoting myself (I wrote this 3 days ago):

Quote:
P90 sharpening: shooting menu > optimize image > custom. You can adjust contrast, sharpening and saturation there.
I just checked the exif data from one of the pictures and yes, the wb was cloudy. No problem there, next time you may try preset manual, easy to measure if there's something white around you.

In the beginning, I also noticed that many P90 pics were dull, bland and washed out, but it got much better as I started tweaking the settings. Sometimes you just have to do it on the computer though.

Now how I fixed your photos: I didn't do much really, mending those mistakes is very easy. Increased contrast -being careful with highlights and dark areas of course-, saturated a little bit and slightly modified the color cast, any decent software will allow you to do that.

There go two more -corrected- so you can see what I mean. They look better now, I hope. Broken Bridge 14 is beautiful, by the way.
Attached Images

Last edited by Squalo Bianco; Aug 24, 2009 at 6:14 AM.
Squalo Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 5:59 AM   #712

And one more picture of mine, a cat this time
Attached Images

Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:55 AM   #713

Thank You Squalo...

1st off gr8 pic of the cat :-) and my pics do look better... I have photoshop cs2(... dunno how to use it much) I will check out how to change the contrast and saturation...

I will adjust the contrast settings on my p90 and try some pics...

1 question about preset manual tho...

I have to focus on some white or grey colored object in the current lighting and measure for preset wb... am i correct? I wasn't too clear with the manual just confirming :-)

Does the white object need to be in the pic that I'm taking or is it ok if its there under the same lighting?

I'll keep trying :-)
Thanks for your time and support Squalo

Cheers!
Ashwin
ashwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:41 AM   #714

Good Morning, Ashwin-

Concerning WB. You can either use the pre-sets within the camera menu, such as Auto WB, Cloudy WB, Incadescet or Tungestent WB, Shadow WB and the like or you can measure and set a Custom WB that is set to the specific WB that is in that one photo.

A Custom WB is set using either a gray-white paper or card and measuring it with your camera under the specific lighting conditions of your photo. My suggestion to you is to start with, use the pre-sets. Then, when doing post processing you can make the changes necessary to enhance and improve your photo.

Learning post processing takes time and experience in large measure especially with huge programs like CS2. You might go at post processing in an easier way. Download Picasa from www.google.com. It is free. Then you can experiment a lot more easily, rather than jumping with both feet into CS2.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:33 AM   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Good Morning, Ashwin-

Concerning WB. You can either use the pre-sets within the camera menu, such as Auto WB, Cloudy WB, Incadescet or Tungestent WB, Shadow WB and the like or you can measure and set a Custom WB that is set to the specific WB that is in that one photo.

A Custom WB is set using either a gray-white paper or card and measuring it with your camera under the specific lighting conditions of your photo. My suggestion to you is to start with, use the pre-sets. Then, when doing post processing you can make the changes necessary to enhance and improve your photo.

Learning post processing takes time and experience in large measure especially with huge programs like CS2. You might go at post processing in an easier way. Download Picasa from www.google.com. It is free. Then you can experiment a lot more easily, rather than jumping with both feet into CS2.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
If you don't want to buy Photoshop, you can always get Gimp for free. It's almost as good as PS and will give you experience with in-depth PP
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:51 PM   #716

The Gimp is amazing. I use that, Nikon's NX and Irfanview with lots of Adobe plugins.

Ashwin: anytime mate
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:28 AM   #717

Thanks a lot for all the tips...

I didn't try out gimp as I have photoshop cs2 with me already(... for some reason cs4 won't install :-( )
I opened up my pics and just played around with the levels or hit auto level and got these results... Are they any good? or should I be getting better results?
Attached Images

ashwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:29 AM   #718

They look worlds better to me.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:42 AM   #719

Default Aswin's Photo Sample

Ashwin I agree completely with Jak-

You have much improved those photos. However, the photo needs to be straightened and improved a bit further.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 25, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:24 PM   #720

I like the angled shot. Maybe its my monitor settings but your version looks grainy and blurred compared to the above photo. Looks like a painting almost....
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote