Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:57 PM   #761

Default Settings

Hi,

Can you tell me the settings on these 2 pictures pls.

Thanks,
Jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by norazwan97 View Post
jai.bansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:18 AM   #762

Hello everyone,

This site seems to be fading away as time goes by, and unfortunately, I am at a loss with some basic stuff relating to indoor shots, and hopefully there are still some people out there that may be able to shed some light on my problem.

After reading 77 pages and taking notes along the way, I have tried numerous settings etc and still cant get a basic clear picture indoors when using a flash. Even tongiht, I tried to take a photo of my daughter, with the lights on, flash used, P mode, with numerous settings within the P mode, and while at face value the picture looks OK, when you zoom in, there is distinct noise that you dont get using this camera in sunlight. So I tried to take the exact same photo using my old Olympus M800, and it takes the perfect picture. Am I at a stage now that I should accept the fact that the P90 is a daylight camera only, or is there more I can try. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
backofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:37 AM   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthehill View Post
Hello everyone,

This site seems to be fading away as time goes by, and unfortunately, I am at a loss with some basic stuff relating to indoor shots, and hopefully there are still some people out there that may be able to shed some light on my problem.

After reading 77 pages and taking notes along the way, I have tried numerous settings etc and still cant get a basic clear picture indoors when using a flash. Even tongiht, I tried to take a photo of my daughter, with the lights on, flash used, P mode, with numerous settings within the P mode, and while at face value the picture looks OK, when you zoom in, there is distinct noise that you dont get using this camera in sunlight. So I tried to take the exact same photo using my old Olympus M800, and it takes the perfect picture. Am I at a stage now that I should accept the fact that the P90 is a daylight camera only, or is there more I can try. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
Within the settings menu, have you changed the ISO settings? I usually keep mine on fixed auto 64-200. That should make a good difference. However, if youre taking pics of moving subjects indoors, the camera may not choose a fast enough shutter speed, even with the flash. Then youll want to play with the S mode (shutter speed). Ive got decent pics when my subject is within 15 feet indoors with even the highest shutter speeds. Hope this helps!

Shane
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 4:12 PM   #764

Default Something from upnorth..

Hi to all of you that have decided to buy P90. Here is a sample of my first pictures with auto setting and macro. Just awesome quality i think.
Attached Images

kimpula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:21 AM   #765

Thanks Shane,

I tried to post this earlier but it seems to have gone to the big black hole in interent land.

Anyway, I changed the ISO settings to 64-200 as you suggested but not too much changed. However, when I added to that of adjusting what I think is the exposure thingy to +1.0, the results were much better. Still not as good as the old pocket camera, but HEAPS better then last nights disaster. Thanks again for your help.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:50 AM   #766

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthehill View Post
Thanks Shane,

I tried to post this earlier but it seems to have gone to the big black hole in interent land.

Anyway, I changed the ISO settings to 64-200 as you suggested but not too much changed. However, when I added to that of adjusting what I think is the exposure thingy to +1.0, the results were much better. Still not as good as the old pocket camera, but HEAPS better then last nights disaster. Thanks again for your help.
In your earlier post you said that you got a lot of noise when zooming in on the picture. Did changing the exposure compensation eliminate the noise? Or were your pics just darker? Try just setting the ISO setting to 64 if you are still having noise issues. Again, at that setting, in P mode, the camera trys to use too slow a shutter speed so S mode might be a better bet. Hope this helps!

Shane
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:38 AM   #767

Default P90 and kid pictures?

Hi all!
I have been reading through this thread and there's some amazing info on here. I am in awe of the pictures as well!

I am by no means a photographer -- amateaur or otherwise. I am a mom with 2 active boys (4 and 7) who wants to get some great shots of the kids. As I said, they are active and don't yet know the meaning of "look at me and smile" -- they climb trees, play soccer, etc and when they stop it's for an instant.

I am coming from an Olympus super-compact digital (can't remember the model number) which recently broke. I would like to purchase a camera soon for halloween photos, pumpkin patches, corn mazes, etc.

I have been looking at the P90 and the Canon sx20is (and sx10is too). The heft of the Canon turns me off a bit as I'm used to slipping a camera in my pocket and going (which is how I popped the LCD on the Olympus which rendered it useless). I know the P90 is not a pocket camera, but the lightness of it will work perfectly.

Anyways, here are the features I'm looking for:
Low shutter lag
Continuous shoot
Quality video (3 minutes max)
Low light capabilities (for talent shows, awards ceremonies, etc)
Quality images, both outdoors and indoors
Ease of use

Most of the pics I've seen here are wildlife/garden pics. I will mostly be printing 4x6 for photo albums and occasionally a 5x7 or 8x10 to frame. Some of the pictures that have been classified as noisy or grainy on here I can't tell. I just want a quality camera that will take great pictures of the kids without me having to adjust settings all the time.

Please let me know if you think the P90 is the right camera for me.

Thanks so much!
Stacy
20nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:35 AM   #768

Hi Stacy,

I was pretty much in the same catagory as you when I bought the P90. Im sure that many will disagree with my summary of this camera, but in a nutshell, I think this camera is great outdoors and just ok indoors. Of course there are mulitple settings you can use to achieve greater shots, but it sounds like you were like me with a pocket olympus who turned it on and took a photo, that generally worked well. I still have that pocket olympus and it still gets used just as much. I have played around with the p90 for months now and still trying to get it right. If that appeals to you, then its great. If you are looking for a simple camera, Im sure there are better options.
That said, this camera is great for action shots of the kids playing around outdoors. The zoom will let you get close ups from further then your naked eye can detail. The size of it took a bit of getting used to at first, and obviously needs more consideration to cameras that fit in your pocket. Overall, I like the p90, I just wish it did things either better or easier. Probably both. Going through your checklist of things your looking for in a camera, you will have a few ticks and just as many crosses. I think my ultimate camera would be the size, weight and zoom of the p90, with the reported quality of the canons you mentioned. Hope this helps rather then confuses you.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:24 PM   #769

Default Thanks!

Thanks, Backofthehill! That was just what I was looking for!

From the other reviews I've read, what you said sounded right on -- great outside, not so great inside.

I think I'm going to look elsewhere. Still leaning towards a Canon, but maybe a smaller sized one, like the sx200is.

Thanks again!
Stacy
20nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:56 PM   #770

Ok so Im hoping someone can be so kind as to help me. I bought one of the p-90 cameras and to tell you the truth its way out of my league. Ive read the manual, read the forums, and played around with the camera several times (only making things worse) I am taking my almost 14 month old son to the pumpkin farm tomorrow morning and want to get some good pictures of him. This will be outside. He is very active and will probably not sit still for more than a few seconds. I was just wondering if someone could give me an exact setting to put my camera on to get the best shots in this situation. Ive tried the auto settings and really dont get the best quality pictures. Please help!
Ouye is offline   Reply With Quote