Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:04 AM   #781

Here is an example of a flower with a blurred background that was one of my first few shots. I don't remember what setting it was in. Could you please help me with what settings it should be when shooting people to get them in focus and the background blurred? Sorry if this is a repeat question!!!
Thanks so much! Your thread has been very helpful!

usmcwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:41 AM   #782

Some of you mentioned the digislave flash units a while ago, did anyone buy one and if so how has it performed, I have been considering getting one. But would like opinions if anyone has them.

Thanks

Sandra
slipperyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:14 AM   #783

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
Vinnieb wrote: It was harder than I thought to get good candlelight shots. Regular P mode or focusing don't cut it. I had to switch over to manual mode in low lighting to get it right.

These are truly wonderful candle light shots. I feel at awe daring to post my shots here. But the excitement of getting the P90 hasn't worn off yet. So I hope you great camera gurus wouldn't mind a newbie like me posting some.

These two pictures were truly unplanned and was taken during a power outage. I honestly don't know what settings I used as I was just fumbling in the dark...... literally. I guess these are just lucky shots.

I wanted to replicate these shots but I'm having a hard time figuring how I did it.... can anyone give me a clue????
joeponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:07 AM   #784

JoePonz-

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for dropping by.

Thanks for positing a good selection of photos. The photo of your son, Vito, is especially good and the lighting is excellent. There are not many American who have been to Cebu. However, I have. Iy=t was most probably before you were born, as it was in 1960.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:17 AM   #785

Default Thje DigiSlave-3000 Flash Unit

SlipperyJoe-

You asked about the DigiSlave 3000 flash. Please keep in mind that it can be used on any digital camera. I own both the Metz-28 and the DigiSlave-3000 slave flashes and I prefer the DigiSlave-3000.

The attached photo was taken from a distance of 35 feet using the DigiSlave 3000. The flash head also tilts nicely allowing you to use bounce flash. I have been very pleased with the performance of the DigiSlave-3000, and I would personally recommend it to anyone.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:51 AM   #786

SlipperyJoe-

Attached is a photo of my DigiSlave 3000 in use with my Panasonic FZ-28.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:38 PM   #787

Hello all! I've really enjoyed reading the blogs and checking out all of your pics! I am new to photography but anxious to get involved. I just yesterday purchased the p90 and have had alot of fun testing it out.

I honestly didn't know ANYTHING about the settings and how all of the options work on this camera(or any for that matter).

Hoping to get some help from everyone to enhance my images!!! Here are a couple pics I snapped today.

csy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:40 PM   #788

Default P90 newbie

I have had my P90 for just a few days and have been trying to figure out some of the many options available when shooting. Except for planned ahead shots, guess I will be shooting in the auto mode until I feel more confident.

Not new to photography, have a Nikon F2 and Leica M2, both with many extra lenses, but feel kind of lost with the P90. Have tried reading all the helpful instruction on this forum's 79 pages and look forward to learning enough to a least take good pictures like I did with my other cameras. Will appreciate any help on my progressive learning program.
morven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:19 PM   #789

Morven-

Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your new Nikon P-90 Camera.

Please do yourself a favor and do not shoot in the Auto Mode. The Auto Mode locks out many features of your P-90 camera making them useless.
The "P" for Programed Auto mode works exactly like the Auto Mode, but it allow s you to make setting changes as you desire, such as ISO, Exposure Compensation, Flash Compensation, White Balance, and the like.

Working in that manner you will actually learn more faster. Get yourself a good book on digital cameras. Check your local Community College. Community Colleges ofter offer multiple digital camera courses. In fact I am a Digital Camera Instructor at our local Community College and I will be starting a new course called, "Digital Cameras Made Really Easy" this coming Moday, November 30th. I wish you could be there.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 25, 2009 at 6:27 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 8:38 AM   #790

Sarah Joyce-

Thanks for the advice. I will go with the P mode. The best I can figure it out is that in the P mode it will be similar to my Nikon F2 when I have the speed set and when viewing through the lens, I can see the aperture and adjust as needed and/or adjust the speed.

In your replys to others you spoke of your age. I am about the same age and am just trying digital cameras so I have a loooong way to go to feel as confident as as I did with my other cameras. Going to my oldest son's home for Thanksgiving dinner today and hope to take some good pictures.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Billy
morven is offline   Reply With Quote