Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:13 AM   #71

fel208 wrote:
Quote:
but many ppl say tat panasonic fz28 is better wen compared to the nikon p90 even though it may hav a smaller zoom wen compared the P90 wat s ur opinion...?
I sold my FZ28 after I got a chance to play with the P-90 at a local store. Nikon wins hands-down, IMO.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:57 PM   #72

HAPPY EASTER FOLKS! Well since it is Easter, I thought these shots fit right in. The lighting is quite tricky. The Optical VR Image Stabilization is so good you can hand hold a lot these indoor shots (without flash) with good results. These were shot aprox at 400 ISO, F/2.8, 1/35sec and a little zooming & cropping and I thought they came out surprisingly well.

I did use flash on this shot of my wife.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:29 PM   #73

hey jack, have you got a chance to do a candle picture?
Vinnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:43 PM   #74

Vinnieb wrote:
Quote:
It was harder than I thought to get good candlelight shots. Regular P mode or focusing don't cut it. I had to switch over to manual mode in low lighting to get it right.

Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:13 PM   #75

Hey guys. . .
ok so i dont exactly have this camera but I am looking into getting myself one. I'm am not quite a professional photographer but I do very much enjoy taking pictures.
If I get this camera i would be coming from a DSLR. at least i believe its a DSLR my camera as of now is a Minolta Dimage 7
-5mp
-7x optical zoom
soo this camera is abviously getting up there in age and i was wondering if this camera would be fine for me, or if i should be going up to/ staying with a DSLR.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael
McBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:05 PM   #76

McBen wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys. . .
ok so i dont exactly have this camera but I am looking into getting myself one. I'm am not quite a professional photographer but I do very much enjoy taking pictures.
If I get this camera i would be coming from a DSLR. at least i believe its a DSLR my camera as of now is a Minolta Dimage 7
-5mp
-7x optical zoom
soo this camera is abviously getting up there in age and i was wondering if this camera would be fine for me, or if i should be going up to/ staying with a DSLR.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael
Well, let me put it this way... I've said it in the first few posts, I sold my Olympus DSLR E-510 with three lenses because I found that it really didn't beat the former camera I had, the Sony H50 superzoom, so I figured the Nikon P90 would at least match or beat that Sony. I was impressed with the Sony I had and tired of packing all the gear around, so I sold the Olympus outfit and bought the Nikon.

If you are taking lot's of fast moving sports shots or low light shots that require 800 ISO or beyond then you should stay with a DSLR. Otherwise, the new superzooms are the way to go.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:20 PM   #77

Hello, I've been following this thread because the P90 got my attention, and I'm in the market for a new camera.

I'm not an experienced photographer on the contrary, so I would really appreciate an honest opinion from those of you that own this camera, and have a bit experience with it already.
I have read many good things and also very bad, I imagine that as there is no perfect camera IMO, the good or bad is based on individual expectations of the intended use.

My let's call hobby is to take pictures at concerts, when the lighting is very tricky and the performers don't stay put. I got very good results with my old Sony Cybershot DSC-H7, but I wanted a bigger zoom.

So basically if above ISO400 the pictures will be grainy, will the great zoom of this camera be helpful? And what about the movie function,areimage and sound good? I was also considering the Canon PowerShot SX1 IS, but some users are not happy with the movie mode at all...

Any input will be really appreciated it. Thanks.
mariak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:02 AM   #78

mariak wrote:
Quote:
Hello, I've been following this thread because the P90 got my attention, and I'm in the market for a new camera.

My let's call hobby is to take pictures at concerts, when the lighting is very tricky and the performers don't stay put. I got very good results with my old Sony Cybershot DSC-H7, but I wanted a bigger zoom.

So basically if above ISO400 the pictures will be grainy, will the great zoom of this camera be helpful? And what about the movie function,areimage and sound good? I was also considering the Canon PowerShot SX1 IS, but some users are not happy with the movie mode at all...
I can't help you with that as I don't use the Nikon for events like that. I haven't tried the video yet either. I do know that most all super-zooms seriously lack above 400 ISO, so if your doing much shooting in that kind of environment, I would suggest a DSLR.

I do know the Sony H50 was a good super-zoom since I had that one for about a year. I really liked that camera. I went for this Nikon as it looks to be similar and has a longer zoom. I bought this Nikon for two main reasons, the long zoom & tilting LCD.
The major camera makers such as Nikon, Canon, Sony etc, you can't go wrong... it is a matter of preference, so it is important that you do like I did and go where they have these cameras like Best Buy, Ritz and try them out yourself.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:58 AM   #79

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
Vinnieb wrote:
Quote:
It was harder than I thought to get good candlelight shots. Regular P mode or focusing don't cut it. I had to switch over to manual mode in low lighting to get it right.

so i guess this camera will never take pics like this....

Vinnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:19 AM   #80

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
mariak wrote:
Quote:

I can't help you with that as I don't use the Nikon for events like that. I haven't tried the video yet either. I do know that most all super-zooms seriously lack above 400 ISO, so if your doing much shooting in that kind of environment, I would suggest a DSLR.

I do know the Sony H50 was a good super-zoom since I had that one for about a year. I really liked that camera. I went for this Nikon as it looks to be similar and has a longer zoom. I bought this Nikon for two main reasons, the long zoom & tilting LCD.
The major camera makers such as Nikon, Canon, Sony etc, you can't go wrong... it is a matter of preference, so it is important that you do like I did and go where they have these cameras like Best Buy, Ritz and try them out yourself.
Thank you for your reply and your advice, but unfortunately "professional" type cameras are not allowed at concerts, at some I even had to sneak in my Sony.

I know that Sony is coming out at the end of this month, with a new superzoom one, so I might wait and see how it performs. Price is much higher and I'm on a budget, but it might be worth it.

The pictures you take are beautiful, no doubt the P90 is a great camera, just not for my intended use.

Thanks again.

mariak is offline   Reply With Quote