Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:38 AM   #791

Billy-

Thanks for the reply. Have a great Thanksgiving Day. For today's activities, keep the P-90 in "P" for programed Auto, set-up the flash and keep the distance of camera to subject right around 12 to 13 feet and you will do just fine.

If the camera to subject distance increases past 13 feet, your photos will progressively get darker and darker. When you are finished shoot for the day, you may want to do a bit of photo editing to adjust the brightness, contrast, or to crop your photos. Just go to www.google.com and down load a copy of Picasa for free. It is an easy program to use and it can save dark photos and crop, so you will like it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 6:17 PM   #792

Sarah-

Just got back from my son's home. Took some photos with P mode at different distances and lighting conditions. They were ok and after editing I was satisfied with the results. Didn't use the flash much since most of the shooting was outside. He had bought two mastiff puppies a couple of weeks ago and it was hard to notice anything but them. They are 10 weeks old and weigh 28 and 32 pounds. They are beautiful.

Wish I lived close enough to attend your seminars. Leaving for Big Canoe in North Georgia tomorrow morning. Hope to get some nice scenery shots while there. Thanks again for your help.

Billy
morven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 6:29 PM   #793

Hi there, Billy-

Happy Thanksgiving! The canoe trip should be perfect for some good P-90 shots. Have fun.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:03 PM   #794

Hello everyone!
I just purchased a P90 and I'm utterly excited to start taking pictures with it. I should receive it within the next week! I'm fairly new to the photography world and I've read up on this forum. There are some stunning pictures posted here.
I will be posting pictures as soon as I get my camera!

Is there any reading I should get started on like digital camera books that would be beneficial for me?

Thanks,

Hector
StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:30 PM   #795

Hector-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

An excellent reference book is "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:03 AM   #796

Sarah,
Thanks so much for your reply! I will most defiantly look into this book.
I finally get my camera tomorrow!!! I'm super excited!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:11 AM   #797

That sounds wonderful, Hector-

I know that you will enjoy the Nikon P-90, it is a very good camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:13 AM   #798

Here is a picture that I took. It was a picture during the evening, while snowing outside. Please give me some feed back. I've taken a couple of indoor photos and not to happy about the out come, but I still have to play around with it a bit more before I make my final decision.
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:47 AM   #799

Hector-

When taking flash photos indoors you have to be respectful of the Flash Range. The Flash Range is the distance from the front of the camera to the subject. If you are further than 15 feet (and greater) with your Flash Range, the subject becomes darker.

The other issue is that indoors you have a much lower shutter speed, and you must prevent camera movement. Yes, the P-90 camera does have IS, but it is designed to compensate for small, inadvertent hand movements only, so some times if the is larger camera the IS is unable to compensate for that rapid movement.

Post some sample and we can take a look at them.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:49 PM   #800

I find that using S-mode (shutter prioreity) set to around 1/125 or 1/100th works quite well indoors, even at full zoom. Ill post a few pics from a birthday party last weekend when I get home this evening. I was really impressed with the pictures given the dark indoors. P mode wanted to use 1/40th of a second and obviously a 1 year old wont sit still long enough to allow that.

Shane
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote