Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:18 PM   #821

usmcwife-

The DigiSlave-3000 is one of the few slave flashes that has sufficient power to give you the amount of light you need. So don't try to skimp on a slave flash. A slave flash works with an P+S camera, it is not restricted to the P-90. it also has a fully articulated head allowing you to use bounce flash as well as direct flash.

Here is what it looks like.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 2:19 PM   #822

Thank you MtClimber for your quick reply!

My friend would like 'indoor' newborn pictures. What settings on the camera would you recommend for me to use (with no flash) ??
(what iso? exposure? what mode to use?)

I've never taken newborn pictures before, so I was unware of their
sensitivity to flash, THANKS!! My husband and I do not have any
kids yet. :-0

Thanks so much!!!!!!! Merry Christmas to you too!!
usmcwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:16 PM   #823

usmcwife-

If you do not use flash you will be in a difficult lighting situation. So, plan on using soft light from a north facing window. Put you P-90's Mode Selector in P for programed auto. Set the ISO to auto ISO, use your macro or close-up mode if the distance from camera to subject is 30 inches or less, and cross your fingers.

Hopefully you and the new Mom will be pleased with the results of your "shooting session." If you have not already done so, download Picasa from www.google.com. It is free and it is easy to use. It will be an assist in dealing with your photo.

And, oh yes, please read and get familiar with the P-90 User Manual, because, while I would like to always be at your side to answer questions, I don't think that is 100% possible.

And yes, we had 4 boys and 4 girls who are all grow-up now and raising families of their own.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:59 PM   #824

Thanks for your reply. I will play around with my settings in doors before I take the pictures. Wish me luck!! I love using this camera outdoors though! But, a LOT of the sample work I've seen online are pictures of animals or scenary.. I'd like to see more examples of people. Do you know of any sites or sample pictures?

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:31 PM   #825

usmcwife-

I know that you will do just fine with the new baby photos today. Regarding people photos, there are lots of sample on www.pbase. com and you can even look specifically for P-90 photos.

www.flickr.com also has lots of special interest groups, including a Nikon P-90 Group, so you can check there as well. I will always post photo samples when asked and then tell you how the photo was taken.

Here is a cute photo for today. it is a fairly simple informal portrait. The photo was taken using bounce flash lighting.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:08 PM   #826

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say that my newborn pictures didn't turn out that great.
I cannot get one good shot with my P90 indoors with no flash. I have
tried EVERY setting there is. I guess it's just an outdoors camera. I had
to pull out my old kodak digital camera to get some without the flash....
:-( Kinda bums me out......
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:36 AM   #827

Default Nyc

Just a few nyc pics from my trip tonight. The camera did much better than I honestly thought it would do. I'm still getting used to it, so forgive the bad composition and quality on some. I left the camera on iso 200 max (more on accident than on purpose), so the blurriness may have been resolved by iso 400. About 1/3 pictures turned out not blurry which was great to me considering the poor lighting and no tripod, and I was shivering almost the whole time (note the 25 degrees...)
Name:  xDSCN0382.JPG
Views: 550
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  xDSCN0393.JPG
Views: 542
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  xDSCN0399.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  xDSCN0375.JPG
Views: 552
Size:  175.3 KB

Jeremy

Last edited by finder; Dec 18, 2009 at 1:48 AM.
finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:49 AM   #828

nice thread friend..pl keep it up..!
Hi.. i am from india and want to buy any one from the sony h 50 and canon coolpix90..but confused.about which one to buy..? what is your experience about the overall quality of the pictures taken from both the cameras sharpness,quality of zoom..etc....which one is more suitable for good quality pictures.. thanks..
jim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:06 AM   #829

BTW.. Nikon P90 not canon..Sorry for the key in mistake .. above post..!!
my 2nd question ..can we use ps3 to view high resolution pic taken from both the cameras (Sony DSC-H50 and Nikon P90)i mean does ps3 supports the pic.format of both the cameras..? thanks..hope i am not going out of topic..thanks again..
jim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:57 AM   #830

USMCwife-

I sorry to hear that things did not work out well for the new born shots with theb P-90. That is why I prefer a P-90 variant, made in the very same factory using the very same lens and imager, the Kodak Z-980 camera. the big difference is that the Z-980 has a hot shoe and an external flash. That would have asllowed you to use bounce flash when taking the photos of the new born baby.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images