Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:52 PM   #81

Vinnieb
First, it would be nice if you would say what camera you used and what settings you used to get that shot. That said... very nice photo!

I like how mine turned out.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:02 AM   #82

I got a P90 on Friday, March 13. I got it primarily to get a long lens without having to spend $1500 to do so. I like this camera, Image quality is good, even at the long end. Autofocus is slow at the long end, but I shoot primarily non-moving subjects so I don't mind that.

Please note: I shoot with all image optimization settings in default mode. I prefer tweaking individual images in Photoshop rather than letting the camera apply the same parameters to every image.

I tried ISO all the way to 6400. For me, ISO 3200 and 6400 are not acceptable. ISO 1600 is okay only if I want a picture I can't get any other way, such as the grandkids performing at an indoor venue or something like that. ISO 800 is okay. I haven't tried in-camera noise reduction, I'll try that sometime in the future. For now I've used Noiseware during post-processing.

My other cameras create images in a 3:2 aspect ratio, so I'm using the P90 the same way.

Here are some samples:

http://www.pbase.com/wdwrth/temp

My normal workflow is:
Create a layer and tweak Levels in the Luminosity Layer;
Flatten the image;
Shadow/Highlight adjustment;
Sharpen (I use the "Focal Blade" plugin.

EJayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:27 AM   #83

EJayW wrote:
Quote:
I tried ISO all the way to 6400. For me, ISO 3200 and 6400 are not acceptable. ISO 1600 is okay only if I want a picture I can't get any other way, such as the grandkids performing at an indoor venue or something like that. ISO 800 is okay. I haven't tried in-camera noise reduction, I'll try that sometime in the future. For now I've used Noiseware during post-processing.
Have you got any sample shots of 800 ISO and beyond to show?

I have yet to try past ISO 400 as I have it set on the camera not to go past that as most of these superzooms don't do so well past ISO 400. Like you, if I find a "need" to use it past 400 ISO, then I'll use it then.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :|

Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:32 AM   #84

I don't have any samples. I did my testing, made my decisions, and deleted the samples.

EJayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:36 PM   #85

Hi
After reading your review I had to go look at one in best Buy. That camera is awesome. Talk about wildlife photos! I have been thinking of a dslr to replace my 8700. Now I don't know.

Bob

zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 3:03 PM   #86

zilbog wrote:
Quote:
Hi
After reading your review I had to go look at one in best Buy. That camera is awesome. Talk about wildlife photos! I have been thinking of a dslr to replace my 8700. Now I don't know.

Bob
Well a DSLR is something to consider and I did as I like wildlife shots too:
Sure a DSLR may take better photos, but to get the lenses that can match the P90's (26-624mm) range would be bulky/heavy and very expensive.
So the Nikon P90 is a GREAT alternative.

Actually if you read my first few post, I sold a DSLR to get this camera!

Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:14 PM   #87

Quote:
Hi

Bob
I have also been looking at this camera for the fantastic zoom capabilities. If i purchase this camera i would be coming from a DSLR the Minolta Dimage 7. Its hard to know you had features like being able to take shots at higher ISO's and stuff and now i would be losing it. If you make a decision, if you don't mind would it be possible for you to let me know what you chose and why?
It would be very much appreciated.

Michael
McBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:52 AM   #88

Camera, P90, all packed and ready to travel. Will be taking lots of photos with the P90 in Hawaii and on Cruise. Taking my Canon G9 as backup.

See yall when we return.

Great Forum.

Richard.
RichardK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:30 AM   #89

Sure mike.
Almost think the P90 is worth it as it costs comparable to an expensive dslr telephoto lens
Could have it and then get dslr and skip the telephoto lens for now

Bob
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:41 AM   #90

RichardK wrote:
Quote:
Camera, P90, all packed and ready to travel. Will be taking lots of photos with the P90 in Hawaii and on Cruise. Taking my Canon G9 as backup.

See yall when we return.

Great Forum.

Richard.
Have a GREAT time and enjoy your "Photo-Op" vacation with the P90. Your picking a great time to go with Spring in full force! Can't wait to see some photo's!

Cheers!:|