Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:38 PM   #971

Linzee-

A P+S camera like the P-90 will not consistently produce a blurred background, as you see in a lot of portraits. The only recourse you have is to do it in photo editing. A good reference book is "The Digital Camera Book" by Scott Kelby.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:55 PM   #972

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Linzee-

A P+S camera like the P-90 will not consistently produce a blurred background, as you see in a lot of portraits. The only recourse you have is to do it in photo editing. A good reference book is "The Digital Camera Book" by Scott Kelby.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce

This is a great reference book! I really appreciate that Sarah recommended me this book! The author keeps it simple and funny!

Hector
StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:56 PM   #973

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hector-

You got some excellent detail into both shots.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for your comments Sarah! I really appreciate them!!!

Hector
StyleXP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 6:48 PM   #974
Eli

Default Random pics

Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 6:49 PM   #975
Eli

Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:50 PM   #976
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzee View Post
I love all the pics ive seen on this post it gives me hopes that i can take a good one im struggling, i got the camera for my bday but i know nothing anout cameras im trying to teahc myself but have yet to come out with a nice picture.
i also cant figure out how to do the blur background ive seen the past posts and i think im doing everything right but never turns out. so confused....
Hi Linzee and welcome to Steve's.

You are in a good place to learn as we have some very good photographers here who are happy to lend a hand. It is also worth reading some book, online articles etc as well to cover off the basics but there is nothing better than getting your photos critiqued. It's something that a lot of people don't like, the would rather get a "that's a good photo" comment, when actually it is barely mediocre, so if you want to learn then jump in, practise, critique yourself, try to emulate shots you like, post here for critique (we have a section especially for this Photo Critiques - only one photo per thread to get the best advice) and you will improve in leaps and bounds.

It is unlikely that the problems you are having are major, and some pointers in the right direction will move you on in leaps and bounds.

Blurring the background with a camera like the P90 is not impossible, just considerably harder than with a dSLR.

There are 3 main areas to getting a shallow depth of field (dof).

Focal length - the longer the lens the shallower the dof.
Aperture - the wider the aperture (lower f number) the shallower the dof.
Distance from camera to subject - the closer to the camera the shallower the dof.

So ideal situations would be long lens, wide aperture and subject close to the camera.

There is another contributing factor, not to dof, but blurred background and that is getting the background as far from the subject as possible.

With the lens on the P90 you are not going to get a full person with a shallow dof, but you can get a head shot to a certain degree and for smaller subjects still (flowers for example) then you can do even better.

Here is a quick shot from a Canon SX1 which will give a pretty similar representation to the P90. I've used max focal length, the subject is close and the aperture is as wide as it can go at this focal length. The water bottle is about 2' behind the watch.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:33 PM   #977

thank you everyone for the info, im going to look into the book i looked online at a store near me and it doesnt have it so ill have to look into buying it online somewhere else. im hopefully going to get out this weekend and practice and see what i come up with if i get out ill be sure to post some pics!!!
Linzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:13 PM   #978

Hi everyone! I am amazed by all these wonderful photos you guys are taking with the P90. I am totally new to this camera and have no idea how to use it properly. I have had it for about 2 months now and play with it every day and never can get the photos just right.. Can anyone give me any pointers? How do you all get the blurry background when focusing on a certain image? The camera I had before the P90 is a Canon powershot, which I still have and use now and then.
Thanks!!
Yuki0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:35 AM   #979
Super Moderator

Hi Yuki0, please see the post I made just about your question which answers the blurry background and a bit about improving.

Please do use the photo critique section I mention for in depth advice and post in the other sections as well where people will gladly help you learn. Read, look at the work of other people online that you would like to be able to emulate and play around until get what you are looking for.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:09 AM   #980

How do i get a good close up??? all mine are blurry
Also to catch the water drip how do i do that
Linzee is offline   Reply With Quote