Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:47 PM   #981

Ok, I went back through the posts again and found where it tells you how the get the "blurry" background..I took about 100 pictures of my flowers and all I could get was these pictures below. I kept the aperture at 2.8 in m, p and a mode. Then after i took alot of pictures like that. I kept the aperture at 2.8 but noticed when I zoomed in that went up. I have no idea what i am doing wrong. pls help.
I just re-sized these some.

Last edited by Yuki0; Feb 14, 2010 at 9:52 PM.
Yuki0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:42 PM   #982

i used my camera for the first time when my 4yo neice and 2yo nephew were in town, lots of my picts were blurry and some were grainy. i changed the settings to the lighting we were in, most of the time i left it on auto i believe does any one have any suggestions. i would like to get this worked out before we go bowling and chuck e cheese on wednesday
THANKS!
bamagurl2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:51 PM   #983

Yuki0: You are focusing on the background. You need to make sure the foreground looks sharp on screen before taking the picture. Use macro mode, and if that doesn't help, switch to manual focus. The latter will definitely get the job done, but it's trickier.

Mark gave you very good advice on how to reduce dof with a P90, or any superzoom, but these machines are compacts attached to a long lens and given a PSAM. They were not designed with dof, low light and/or moving subjects in mind. Too small a sensor. That said, given the right conditions you can take beautiful, even artistic pictures with one, as this thread has proven many times.

bamagurl: green auto is horrible, stay away from it. Use P instead and do not go beyond iso 400 unless you have no choice. Noise -grain- is related to high iso -sensitivity-. Blur on the other hand is generally related to a slow shutter. The faster the shutter, the easier to get a sharp picture, but the sensor will receive less light thus making you want to increase the sensitivity, very limited on the P90 (small sensor, read above), and so on. To minimize blur, consider using the flash and/or a tripod.

Last edited by Squalo Bianco; Feb 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Squalo Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:10 PM   #984

ok thanks so much, i saw you alls picts and i was instantly amazed then when i uploaded mine i was disappointed at what i was doing wrong. one or two of them looked ok but i read that it was suposed to be good for taking action photos an i know they are full of action!
i am just debating on going back to my kodak for wed until i figure this one out
bamagurl2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:25 AM   #985

Thank you for the help Squalo, I went outside and took a picture of a coke can and actually got the blurry background. I just kept playing around with the "M" mode and it happened. So I came inside and tried it with my flowers again and no luck. I'm happy I got that exposure at least once. Here is the picture.
Yuki0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:36 AM   #986
Super Moderator

Probably easier to shoot in A mode and for whatever focal length use the smallest aperture, so go to max zoom and then dial in the widest aperture (probably f5.6) and you should get a blurred background. Also frame tighter (get closer) and you will get more blur.

f2.8 at a wide angle isn't going to blur as much as f5.6 at max zoom.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:33 PM   #987
Eli

Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:38 PM   #988

how do i post pics?
Linzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:47 PM   #989
Eli

When you post a reply you see the different icons look for the one that has an image of a mountain and enter the url of the picture
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:48 PM   #990
Eli

peanuts work great to get squirrels to pose and get closer to you lol