Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1

Anyone have any ideas about how to fit a CPL on the P-90? No threads that I can see anywhere. Looks to be about 39mm but, with no thread, ???
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:09 PM   #2

I hand-hold my 58mm CPL as there is no provision for any filters.
Some of the other SuperZooms, such as the Sony H50 has an adapter that allows filters, but it is quite long and big and defeats the purpose of these cameras, the compact size. So, even then, I just held a CPL against the lens when needed.
Worked fine for me the year I had the Sony H50.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:22 AM   #3

Thanks, Jack. I went through that with the Oly SP570UZ so, I reckon I'll be doing it with the P-90. It's a pity the engineers neglected this little detail. I wonder why? They certainly don't weigh much so, straining the balance or servo motors shouldn't be an issue. Of course, you're always going to find the moron that will try to stick some big, honkin' teleconverter on it that it wasn't designed to support. But, that's their problem.

gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:50 AM   #4

gjtoth wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Jack. I went through that with the Oly SP570UZ so, I reckon I'll be doing it with the P-90. It's a pity the engineers neglected this little detail. I wonder why? They certainly don't weigh much so, straining the balance or servo motors shouldn't be an issue. Of course, you're always going to find the moron that will try to stick some big, honkin' teleconverter on it that it wasn't designed to support. But, that's their problem.
It appears to have something to do with the way these superzoom lens are built.
The canon s5is, sony h50, and nikon p90 that I've had all have the same type of lens that retracts etc that causes the problem. Same goes for the way the lens cap stays on, also a problem.

I've had no problem (hand-holding) using my 58mm CPL on all three cameras. The cameras are light enough to hold with one hand, to use the CPL as you usually have a fast shutter speed in bright sunlight anyways.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 8:37 AM   #5

The threaded lens is an interesting topic. My Nikon 8800 has a 58mm thread for a filter, etc. But my 8700 does not, yet the 8800 zoom is 10x while the 8700 is only 8x.

We think that Nikon made the 8800 too good - and quickly discontinued it to avoid competition with their SLR's at that time. It even came with a built-in remote control, magnesium body, etc.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 7:16 PM   #6

Don't know if anyone will get back tot his thread, but since it looked a little outdated I posted a solution to the THREAD dilemma on a newer thread.
featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote