Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:04 PM   #1

Hi all! This seems like a way cool site. Funny how you find things when trouble hits!

Okay, so maybe my camera isn't possessed..., but it does seem to have a mind of its own. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 -- while shooting photos, the camera will suddenly turn itself off and then back on again, with the lens collapsing back into the camera (turning off) and then shooting back out again (turning on)...seems to happen after I've taken just a couple of photos.... Sometimes I can take the photo before it turns off, other times, I can't -- and then after every photo I take, I get the little red box warning that I need to make sure the photo has downloaded before I turn the camera off (but I haven't turned the camera off). I've checked and even changed the battery. Any ideas?

Personally, I think my Nikon is out to get me for not taking it to the annual "Cameras at the Park Day." : )
RunDanRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:12 PM   #2
Administrator

That sure sounds like a battery issue. Are you sure the other battery you tried is still good (and fully charged)? If you purchased both batteries around the same time, they may both be past their life expectancy (they won't last forever, and that's a 7 year old camera model now).

You may also want to try cleaning the battery contacts (sometimes a bit of oxidation can cause issues, even when it's not obvious when looking at them).

In addition, use all dials, switches and buttons to help reduce any chance of one not making a good connection. If you have a different memory card, try it, too (rarely, they will fail in a way that causes them to draw too much current).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:51 PM   #3

The batteries are rechargeable and are both fairly new (and have been freshly recharged)...the camera battery level indicator also shows a fully-charged battery. I think cleaning the contacts inside the camera is a good idea -- what do you recommend I clean them with?

I'm not sure if I follow your last recommendation, however: "...use all dials, switches and buttons...." What do you mean by use them?
RunDanRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:15 PM   #4
Administrator

RunDanRun wrote:
Quote:
The batteries are rechargeable and are both fairly new (and have been freshly recharged)...the camera battery level indicator also shows a fully-charged battery. I think cleaning the contacts inside the camera is a good idea -- what do you recommend I clean them with?
I usually clean mine using a q-tip with a touch of alcohol. But, that's not a recommended procedure (do that at your own risk). You need to make sure you leave them dry (as over the counter isopropyl alcohol has a high water content, and leaving moisture can cause oxidation).

For the contacts on the battery, I tend to use almost anything handy (including wiping them on a pair of jeans). lol

You can get specialized contact cleaners if desired. Radio Shack used to sell a contact cleaning pin (with a wick you could use at one end for that purpose).

Quote:
I'm not sure if I follow your last recommendation, however: "...use all dials, switches and buttons...." What do you mean by use them?
Press and release any buttons, move switch positions back and forth, turn dials back and forth, etc. You're just trying to make sure the contacts are clean and something isn't stuck between positions (friction can help with cleaning them, since internal switch contacts rub against each other when you use them).
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:53 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

I've moved this thread down to our Nikon Forum, where other members using your camera model are more likely to see the post and respond if they have any ideas.