Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 17, 2009, 6:32 PM   #1

I am considering an upgrade to the P90. I currently have a Coolpix 5900 and previously had a Coolpix 2500 (even my 35mm point and shoot is Nikon). My question is this, in order to get the really great photos everyone is posting, does that require using the manual settings? How does this camera perform using the auto settings. I'm not adverse to learning the manual settings but want to have the option.

Thanks

Robin
Robinandamelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2009, 6:54 PM   #2

Robinandamelia wrote:
Quote:
I am considering an upgrade to the P90. I currently have a Coolpix 5900 and previously had a Coolpix 2500 (even my 35mm point and shoot is Nikon). My question is this, in order to get the really great photos everyone is posting, does that require using the manual settings? How does this camera perform using the auto settings. I'm not adverse to learning the manual settings but want to have the option.

Thanks

Robin
There are 159 posts & almost 10,000 views in this thread that should help you decide:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=21

Last edited by jack55; May 8, 2009 at 3:23 AM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 6:56 PM   #3

Thanks, I actually went all through that thread and I'm interested in the camera because of it. However, I wasn't really able to figure out if some of the great shots were a result of auto or manual settings. I'll check again in case I missed something
Old Apr 18, 2009, 2:47 AM   #4

Robinandamelia wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, I actually went all through that thread and I'm interested in the camera because of it. However, I wasn't really able to figure out if some of the great shots were a result of auto or manual settings. I'll check again in case I missed something
Actually, most of my shots were done in Program mode with slight changes such as underexposing a bit and some photo-shop. Only the low light candle light was done in manual exposing and focusing.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 8:32 AM   #5

Robin,

I have only had my P90 for about a month. I haven't posted any photos, because I honestly don't know how to. I have taken shots on the auto setting, and I am surprised at how great the shots have come out! A good example was yesterday, I when I was in the barn cleaning horse stalls. I took my P90 on my tri pod with me. When I am outside working, I like to take a break every now and then, and see if I can get any good shots. I happened to see the most beautiful dove land on one of our fences, so I lined up to see if I could really capture his beauty. The sun was bright, and I had to use the view finder. Later, when our son was looking to see what shots I got when I was outside, we were awed at how beautiful this bird really is! Such beautiful color, and what I didn't know when I took the photo, because it was so bright, was that he was looking right at me!

I don't know about the photos on the web site, as to whether or not they are photoshopped in any way, but I can tell you, that with a little practice, I have been wowed by this camera, and I have been a Canon fan for years.

Blessings,
Carol
coffeebeanroaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 8:47 AM   #6

Thanks Carol. I actually went ahead and bought the camera as well, and have had it about 3 weeks. I've been experimenting with different photos, using the program modes as well, and so far I too am very pleased. I've taken some shots of my daughter outside, that are simply amazing. I was even able to capture her mid air, while skipping, which would never have been possible with my last camera.