Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 5, 2009, 9:52 PM   #11
Administrator

I don't see a metering problem. It's actually metering a bit better than I expected.

Some of the girls are in a brighter light (so that area of the image is overexposed a bit compared to the rest). But, you've a limited dynamic range to work with (especially at higher ISO speeds) and the area of the image some girls are in does not appear to be overexposed (like the girls in the front towards the left side).

Lots of things impact metering, including the color of the subject (a darker subject will tend to cause a camera to overexpose a bit, and a lighter subject will tend to cause the camera to underexpose a bit). That's why you have an Exposure Compensation feature, so you can adjust it for the conditions. The camera's metering appears to be working fine from what I can see of that photo. I'd probably adjust it a bit darker using a -EV setting (but, then the girls in front may have face detail lost in shadows if you're not using a flash for fill).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 10:04 PM   #12
Administrator

P.S.

The darker area in the back left was probably impacting the camera's metering, too.

Anytime you have complex lighting with a wide range of dark to bright in an image, it's tough to get the exposure just right without tweaking it some (making tough choices on what you want to be properly exposed in an image, since the camera is not capable of capturing the entire range of bright to dark without losing detail somewhere). You'll also have lower dynamic range (the range of bright to dark the camera is capable of capturing) at higher ISO speeds.

So, try to make sure the lighting is an even as possible on your subjects if you have a choice (so you don't have any "hot spots"), and try using a flash for fill and see what you get, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 10:08 PM   #13

Thanks Jim you have been very helpful
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote