Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:50 PM   #11

Now I'm wondering if I should spend money on the highest quality filters available as the Nikon tech suggests. I am in the mountains and there IS an exceptional amount of haze to reckon with. Any recomendations?
featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 7:09 PM   #12

I think I have the definitive solution for lens filters. But first as an aside, if you happen to twist or push in on the lens housing while extended in telephoto position, the camera will issue a lens cap error. It's a bit weird to try to put the cap on and turn the camera off while the lens is extended. Not to worry, the error can be cleared by removing the battery.

So it turns out that 40.5mm filters are all over Ebay. Cut a thin 3/32" strip of masking tape 15" long and wrap the threads 3 times to provide a snug fit. You could do all your filters like this and use them as needed, quick on, quick off and still use the factory lens cap.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:12 AM   #13

Another extention that fits very nicely is the Olympus 41 to 43mm that was used on a lot of the earlier point and shoot Olympus's. I tried that on my Nikon P90 and it's almost a perfect fit and it with a 43 to 49mm adaptor ring affords me the opportunity to use a Hoya R72 infrared filter, which by the way, the Nikon P90 will shoot IR images. This fit seems to stay on without the tape or some other adhesive.
Don
ksmeadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:15 AM   #14

Default Filter Options

Another extension that fits very nicely is the Olympus 41 to 43mm barrel extenders that were used on a lot of the earlier point and shoot Olympus's. I tried that on my Nikon P90 and it's almost a perfect fit and with a 43 to 49mm adaptor ring affords me the opportunity to use a Hoya R72 infrared filter, which by the way, the Nikon P90 will shoot IR images. This fit seems to stay on without the tape or some other adhesive.
Don
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:39 AM   #15

Thanks for that info Don, Can you tell me if you have retracted your lens to the closed position with the step ring in place? I measured the diameter of the fixed outer lens ring at 48mm and was curious to know if the step ring clears that opening.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:31 AM   #16

Default Filter option attachment

Regarding using the barrel extension device that is available for Olympus point and shoot cameras - yes the Nikon P90 lens can be retracted - it is a close fit, which might not enable using tape or similar around the perimeter to keep it attached. As I mentioned earlier, it just fits nicely, not tight, but snug enough that one could use it without having to hold it with your hand to keep it in place.

That Olympus extension does have some fine threads on it, as with the Olympus camera it was screwed on. In this case the threads probably account for the fit and it does not need to be forced on, just gently with no movement to the Nikon barrel.

One problem with this scenario - at full zoom you will have vignetting. About half zoom no vignetting. So in most cases using this setup one would have to crop the image if you used full zoom.

Here are some photos -
Attached Images

Last edited by ksmeadowlark; Jun 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added information
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmeadowlark View Post
One problem with this scenario - at full zoom you will have vignetting. About half zoom no vignetting. So in most cases using this setup one would have to crop the image if you used full zoom.-
I'm a heavy user of the polarizer in the summer, so I will want to do something like this.

On the vignetting... Most lenes, even on the DSLR's aren't as sharp and have some vignetting at full zoom, so I either back off a notch on the full zoom or if I do use full zoom, I crop a tad. End of problem. I've been doing this some time with both P/S & DSLR cameras.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:12 PM   #18

..that sounds like a good idea.

Is that a 41-43 adapter tube???

Is it available anywhere?
mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 8:43 PM   #19

I think what we have determned so far is that a 40.5mm ring needs 3 wraps of masking tape for a snug fit into the P90 lens housing. The 43mm ring will slip fit directly metal to metal and hold firmly in place. All these filters are available on Ebay. As Don posted the Oly barrel extender, but I have not searched for one yet.

Last edited by featherhead; Jun 4, 2009 at 8:55 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:25 PM   #20

What are the advantages of using such filters?
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote