Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:50 AM   #31

Yes, I came a bit late to the party.

I have had my P90 since, I think, late 2009. But have only recently learned about hood filters.

While I am still quite happy with my Nikon P90 there are times when excess light can cause an issue. This is why I am looking for a hood filter.

I have found a filter kit that sells on Ebay that consists of an adapter tube that extends out so that you can attach the lens filter like were being discussed originally in this thread. It also comes with a "tulip" filter.

However, I do not want to buy this kit when I have no need for most of it's contents.

I have measured the diameter of the inner "barrel" that holds the lens (the part that extends the most) and did a search to convert it from inches to MM. If I am correct it came out to 47.5mm.

Does anyone know of a bayonet style lens hood that would fit this?
JamesWJ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:49 AM   #32

Default A solution? Perhaps! But, I could use some info/advice.

Okay, I have been thinking about something like a small Dixie cup (if I could find it in plastic.

But, after my last post about coming a bit late to this thread, I had an epiphany!

Some months back I replaced the gas cylinder on my office chair. The original gas cylinder had one of those three-section telescoping covers on it.

Three Sections! Three sizes!

The largest size at it's wider end slips well onto the camera...much like this extension tubes with the filter kits.

The middle size also slips onto the main body of the camera and leaves no gaps like the larger size.

The smallest section would need to be cut to be able to slip onto the end of the lens barrel.

All of these sections of tube are too long to use without zooming out most of not all of the way (if you can see the inside of the tube then it's too damn long....and I do not always have the need for full zoom!).

My thought is to use the smallest section of tube. But, can anyone suggest how far past the lens it should extend?

If I use this smallest section of tube I could make it where it slips onto the end of the telescopic lens barrel. That way it could be used even if I do not have the lens zoomed out at all.

I have looked at MANY lens hoods online and some are not very deep while others extend out quite a distance from the point that they attach to the camera.

I am also unsure whether it is better to have a clean cut edge or make it into tulip/flower/petal style hood (I know that not everyone refers to them in the same way so, I figure use all the names I know they are called and cover all the bases).

I can see an advantage to the "tulip" style as you can rotate it to block light from different angles. But is there an advantage to the style that is just a straight "bologna cut" (for lack of a better term) like the Nikon HB-7?

And again, how far out from the actual lens should the hood extend?

If anyone can give me some answers I would be EXTREMELY grateful!

Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:21 AM   #33

Default Nikon P90 filter kit

Okay, for anyone that "MAY" be interested at this point, this is the filter kit I was referring to in my previous post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221117878422

Personally, I have no interest in this as a solution for using a tulip-style hood filter as I don;t want to deal with the extension tube and I honestly would never use the filter lenses.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:35 PM   #34

The purpose of the petal/tulip style hood is to avoid vignetting at wide angle. It's a compromise in order to keep the hood smaller in diameter and still retain "some" of the benefit of the regular or cone shaped.

It needs to be precisely located, shaped and placed or it won't work. That's why most were originally designed as a bayonet mount. They need to lock in one specific location only.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:34 AM   #35

Default Suggestions for a retro-fit lens hood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
The purpose of the petal/tulip style hood is to avoid vignetting at wide angle. It's a compromise in order to keep the hood smaller in diameter and still retain "some" of the benefit of the regular or cone shaped.

It needs to be precisely located, shaped and placed or it won't work. That's why most were originally designed as a bayonet mount. They need to lock in one specific location only.
Okay, so maybe my idea will not work. Besides the plastic these tubes are made of tend to reflect a lot of light on the inside which would defeat the purpose.

I could probably get the benefit I want from a round/conical lens hood.

I do know that there are plenty of people that make home-made lens hoods (petal AND round) but, "IF" I could buy one at a decent price that would work this would be the easier route to take.

Yes, I do realize that this camera was not designed for such things and yet, I am sure there is a solution that will work.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by JamesWJ71; Apr 18, 2015 at 5:10 AM. Reason: To add a title and more text
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:03 AM   #36

Default The reason behind my thinking

The reason I believe a lens hood, be it round or tulip style, will help with my issue is that the issue I tend to have is from the way light reacts with the lens and sensor.

You all know of this issue.

Yes, it tends to be worse when using zoom but you don't always have to zoom that much....or at all....to have the light cause that vignetting.

I have shaded the lens with my hand just to see if blocking excess light would help and, it does.

Although the Coolpix cameras were not designed for lens hoods, I would tend to think it would be easier to find a way to make one work than it is to make the colored lens filters and UV lens filters work.

And at least a few of you have done that...even if you did not find the results all that great.

Yes, as Featherhead mentioned. You can't turn the P90 into something it's not. However, I am merely looking to get the most out of it and I believe ther has got to be some way to shade the lens from excess light when needed that is not too involved compared to trying to use the filter lenses that this thread mentions in the first place.

Besides not having the cash to buy a new camera at this time, I have read that the current model that is closest to the P90 in price and features is not quite as good as the P90 (granted some people write reviews based on what they WANT a product to be rather than what it is). But, some of the reviews for the current model that would be in the same basic family as the P90 went backwards and is not an improvement at all.

The main reason I bought the Nikon P90 is that, of the cameras by different companies that had the features I was looking for (high zoom being the primary one) the P90 was the only one I could find in stock anywhere. It was in October or early November when they started putting the models being phased out on sale.

Given the choice I would have went with the similarly featured Kodak Easy Share model. But, as I said of the 3 or 4 models I picked as potential purchases the only one I could find in stock anywhere was the P90 (I did not buy items in that price range online at that time because I had no way to pay other than cash).

Other than the Kodak Easy Share I cannot recall what the other candidates were....one MAY have been a Minolta.

But, seeing as all of the cameras I was considering were advanced point and shoot models with similar features it would stand to reason they would potentially have similar drawbacks. Especially as they were all designed so similarly.

So, again, if anyone can suggest some sort of solution to shading the lens from excess light I would greatly appreciate it.