Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:07 AM   #1

Default Superzooms 26x etc

I tried out a P90 in a shop and it seems to me that at full zoom it is pretty much useless without a tripod. I wanted something to replace my 8800 and even the 10x zoom on that was only really useable in the most brilliant sunshine.

I also compared it with the Olympus sp590 and while the zoom is also useless on that one, the macro was much better than the Nikon. However the Olympus runs on AA batteries for some reason and has a smaller LCD screen.

Anybody have any comments?

Thanks

Paul
DioneaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:49 PM   #2

How dark was this shop? I get great pics indoor with minimal lighting at iso 400. Were you using auto mode also?
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:04 PM   #3

Default 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by DioneaUK View Post
I tried out a P90 in a shop and it seems to me that at full zoom it is pretty much useless without a tripod. I wanted something to replace my 8800 and even the 10x zoom on that was only really useable in the most brilliant sunshine.

I also compared it with the Olympus sp590 and while the zoom is also useless on that one, the macro was much better than the Nikon. However the Olympus runs on AA batteries for some reason and has a smaller LCD screen.

Anybody have any comments?

Thanks

Paul
I bought a P90 to replace my 8700 and I am very happy with it. I loved my 8700 but the tech was old. I bought a monopod to use but the image stabilization in the p90 is great, My 8700 did not have any but your 8800 did. Check out the p90 more or look at another super zoom. A dslr may be where you have to go.
Bob
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:30 PM   #4

Default 8700 and 8800

Hi.
I am in the same situation.

I could hardly believe your post. It is exactly the same observations and situations that I have encountered.

Only, I haven't bought the P90 yet.

How does the quality of the smaller sensor compare to the 8800?

Regards.
Graybeard
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:19 AM   #5

Hi there.
I compared the P90 and the SP-590 and decided to grab the latter. Inside the store I tried both cameras and the P90 just had a hard time to lock focus at long tele.
The SP-590 locked focus in no time at all and extending frolm 26 to 676 is so much smoother.

I also shot a few frames with both of them and color accuracy seems to be better for the P90 but noisewise the olympus coood deal pes much better with, imho.

I found the SP-590 to be very well built and it has tons of features, along with its' huge 26x lens which actually handldes CA very very well.

In my opinion the 590 is a g
felice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Nikon Coolpix P90

zoom NIKKOR 24x: 4,6-110,4 mm (35 mm [135] "equivalent" to: 26-624 mm)
f/2.8-5.0

If you want take a picture at 624 mm you should use a shutter speed at least:
1/620 ...
Yes with the stabilizer you can reduce the time about 2 stop ...

1/600 at f/5 ... naturally is dark ... except in summer.
Also you can't high much the iso because is a compact camera.

Quote:

The SP-590 UZ use 4 batterie AA.
In general is best use only good batteries (especially hybrid as for example uniross hybrio or other) so is present a low self discharge and a good
charger capable of discharge and charger every single batteries.
alexfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:52 PM   #7

This photo was taken just yesterday. It is a fully wide angle shot taken looking astern at Louisville, KY. Can you spot the the "Belle of Louisville" (another riverboat) that is astern of us about a mile back?

This is the P-90 fully racked-out (including digital zoom) and NO TRIPOD. This camera continues to amaze me.

gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:16 AM   #8

And you say you took those from a boat in motion? Your tripody hands amaze me.
Squalo Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:36 AM   #9

So has anyone got an larger prints made from P90 shots? How big can one go before the quality starts to suffer? All the shots im planning to use are iso100 or lower. Thanks!
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo Bianco View Post
And you say you took those from a boat in motion? Your tripody hands amaze me.
Thanks! Yes. Both shots were taken from a moving riverboat. The P-90 has exceptional IS.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote