Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:47 AM   #1

Default SB-50DX Speedlight for 5700

Hi All,

I am planning on buying a SB-50DX speedlight for my Cp5700. Does anyone have any experience with ir, any comments ?. Does the TTL feature work with the 5700 ?.

I checked out the Flash forum and got thoroughly confused about whether the 5700 supports TTL or not.

So, please HELP !.

VR
vanrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:41 PM   #2

Default Re: SB-50DX Speedlight for 5700

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanrags
I am planning on buying a SB-50DX speedlight for my Cp5700. Does anyone have any experience with ir, any comments ?. Does the TTL feature work with the 5700 ?.
Yes, the SB50DX works with the 5700 very well in its TTL mode. I have the SB50DX and SB80DX, SB50DX's big brother, and use them on my Coolpix 9xx, 4500, 5000 and 5700 without any problem. If the SB50DX is what you need, go ahead and get it as long as you can accept the fact that the SB50DX does not use traditional AA batteries.

Quote:
I checked out the Flash forum and got thoroughly confused about whether the 5700 supports TTL or not.
The confusion usually came from those who define TTL flash in a VERY VERY strict way. Most Nikon Coolpix cameras use a slightly different but cost saving approach. TTL means through-the-lens. Each Coolpix camera has a light sensor behind the lens to measure the intensity of light in order to determine aperture and shutter speed. For some reason, Nikon did not choose to measure flash light intensity this way. Instead, Nikon moves the flash light sensor to a place that is not behind the lens. It may be next to the lens and flash (e.g., 950 and 990), close to the pop-up flash (e.g., 995, 4500 and 5700), or even near the hand grip (e.g., the 5000). Since the flash sensor is not behind the lens, the area that is measured by this sensor is not identical to the area that the lens sees. Consequently, the measurement may not be very accurate. But, for general shooting, it is reasonably good.

Whether the sensor is behind the lens (i.e., TTL) or elsewhere, its function is measuring flash intensity. When the camera fires the flash, it also activates the sensor to measure the light intensity. When the sensor sees lighting being sufficient, it tells the camera to shut off the flash. From the point of view of a TTL flash, it only needs to know two signals: START (sent by the camera to fire the flash) and STOP (also sent by the camera to stop the firing). The duration between START and STOP determines the intensity. So, a TTL flash does not have to know how the light is being measured as long as the START and STOP signals can be sent in an appropriate way (i.e., via flash cable, infrared - the SB50DX has this capability, or some testing device). So, if a flash that can recognize Nikon's START and STOP signals (as well as some others), it is a Nikon TTL-compatible flash and can be used with any Nikon camera in the TTL mode. The 5700 and other Coolpix cameras have no difference in terms of controlling a Nikon TTL-compatible flash. The only difference is that some camera may not do flash light measure in the TTL way; however, all of these cameras use the TTL control protocol mentioned above to control their on-board and external flashes.

Based on this understanding, you can simply set the SB50DX to the TTL mode and your camera to P or A mode, and everything would be fine. Don't worry about those confusing arguments, most of which are just personal opinions.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 3:27 PM   #3

Thanks Dr. Shene,

That helped me quite a bit....In your email mentioned the flash doe not use AA batteries, I know the flash needs lithium batteries and prior experience tells me they are expensive.

Do you have any other recommendations about flashes ?. Such as Sunpak etc ?.

Your advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks, again !
vanrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 3:49 PM   #4

Quote:
That helped me quite a bit....In your email mentioned the flash doe not use AA batteries, I know the flash needs lithium batteries and prior experience tells me they are expensive.
People has suggested some places where you can buy a larger volume for a very good price. Unfortunately, I forgot the URL. I am sure you can search Google to find some.

Quote:
Do you have any other recommendations about flashes ?. Such as Sunpak etc ?.
How about the Nikon SB22s? The SB22s is not as capable and versatile as the SB50DX; but, its is a good one. If you have a plan to upgrade to a Nikon DSLR, the SB50DX and SB80DX are the only two choices so far. Otherwise, you might consider the Sunpak MZ440AF http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo is VERY basic TTL only flash (i.e., no Auto and Manual mode), the Sunpak PZ4000AF is a more capable one with a good price http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...sku=SU4000AFNK (I am not sure if it is or will be discontinued because it is difficult to find), or if you like high power and don't mind size and weight, the Sunpak PZ5000AF may be a best buy http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=177006&is=REG

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote